Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#251567 - 13/03/2005 23:53 First there was amp modeling . . .
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Next came guitar modeling,

And now it seems the next piece of music equipment to get the treatment is the ultimate rock instrument!

Jeff

#251568 - 14/03/2005 00:08 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I got a fever! And the only prescription is... fake cowbell!!!

Awesome find. Makes the 3 cowbell sounds on my drums seem kinda weak, tho.

#251569 - 14/03/2005 00:56 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
And this isn't an april fools joke right ? I can believe someone would make this but that website sounds like a bit.

Matt

#251570 - 14/03/2005 08:52 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Isn't the display from an old in-car mp3 player?

EDIT: Yup it's a remote controller from a Neo Car/mStation Car player

Andy M

#251571 - 14/03/2005 11:10 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: andym]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
EDIT: Yup it's a remote controller from a Neo Car/mStation Car player
HA! Good catch. I guess they found a good use for it . . .

#251572 - 14/03/2005 11:13 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I gotta have more cowbell, baby!

#251573 - 14/03/2005 16:50 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
Next came guitar modeling,

And now it seems the next piece of music equipment to get the treatment is the ultimate rock instrument!

Jeff

My variax 700 is probably the best guitar purchase I've ever made. (Along with my little collection of pods)

#251574 - 14/03/2005 19:38 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: sn00p]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
My variax 700 is probably the best guitar purchase I've ever made.
Interesting. I was considering purchasing one of those, but all of the feedback I've seen has been pretty lukewarm. I think a lot of musicians are purists who just don't like the Line6 approach to things. I've been VERY pleased with my Pod and Floorboard- I used the Pod exclusively in the studio when we cut our record, and I use the combo live every time we play. I hear a lot of people say "Pod is great for studio but terrible for playing live", but for me it's worked great.

My big fear with the Variax was how the feel was, not the tones. I trust LIne6 immensly due to my experience with the Pod, however I couldn't find a Variax anywhere to test drive and find out if I like the way the gutiar played. So I ended up getting a Carvin that I'm completely happy with. It plays like a dream and is very versatile in its sounds.

On a side note, one of the songs in the Easter musical we're doing for church has a sitar on it, so I told the electric guitar player he should use it as an excuse with his wife to purchas a Variax: "Hey, I need it for church". Apparently, though, he used this excuse recently to buy a new American Strat, so it won't fly at the moment. Too bad, I'd have loved a chance to mess around on one!

#251575 - 14/03/2005 20:03 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
I think a lot of musicians are purists who just don't like the Line6 approach to things. I've been VERY pleased with my Pod and Floorboard- I used the Pod exclusively in the studio when we cut our record, and I use the combo live every time we play. I hear a lot of people say "Pod is great for studio but terrible for playing live", but for me it's worked great.

Yeah, I think it's a love/hate thing! I've got a pod, bass pod and pod xt live and I love them all!

I bought the XT live specifically because of the digital hookup to the variax, it's also pretty darn cool that you can change the model on the guitar and all your "amp" settings from a single tap of your foot!

The other great thing about the XT is the USB soundcard, I was playing with the whole digital setup for the first time this weekend (even though I've had all this stuff for over 3 months!) and it's pretty cool, you don't have to use the cubase monitoring because the pod does the monitoring for you, cuts down your latency, recording was a breeze!

By far the coolest thing is sitting straight in front of my 2 CRT monitors with zero noise! Pickup hum? Pah, a thing of the past!

Quote:
My big fear with the Variax was how the feel was, not the tones. I trust LIne6 immensly due to my experience with the Pod, however I couldn't find a Variax anywhere to test drive and find out if I like the way the gutiar played.

Yeah, it's something you really need to try. I like the way it plays, I went for the hard tail because I don't actually use a trem and I didn't want the tuning problems you get with trems. The machine heads on it are really nice too. I actually prefer the way it feels to both my jaguar and my les paul.

IMO, it's worth it just for the acoustic & tele models, everything else is a bonus.

#251576 - 14/03/2005 20:21 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: sn00p]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
MO, it's worth it just for the acoustic & tele models, everything else is a bonus.
Well, I believe the acoustic it models is the Martin D-28, which I already have (HD-28, actually), so I'm not sure that'd buy me anything. Don't have a tele, though. The other guitar I really want is a 12-string Rick, which I think the Variax does as well, right?

I think if I ever have that much disposable money lying around I'll probably get one, but it'll be a while before that happens for sure!

#251577 - 26/03/2005 21:51 Re: First there was amp modeling . . . [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Heh, sorry to drag this up again, but this song seemed to be on topic. . . .