Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#252681 - 25/03/2005 22:56 Gaming ethics
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Is it wrong, when repeatedly and baselessly accused of cheating by someone in Battlefield Vietnam, who speaks IN CAPS ALL THE TIME, to toy with him? Such as flying past upside down and shooting him down, dodging his rockets until he's out of ammo then blowing him out of the sky, or orbiting his base out of range of the flag and simply blowing up any vehicle he goes for? Trying not to kill him in that case, of course, merely to rub it in. His teammates seemed to think it was funny at any rate.

pca

#252682 - 25/03/2005 23:07 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: pca]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I my self see absolutly nothing wrong with that, in fact I think it was necessary.. Would have loved to seen it
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#252683 - 26/03/2005 00:16 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: pca]
visuvius
addict

Seemed like he deserved all of it, especially considering the caps thing. Your Battlefield Vietnam skills must be pretty uber. I can barely fly and shoot at the same time and you're takin him out upside down and using some sort of precision attacks. Well done sir.

#252684 - 26/03/2005 00:53 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: pca]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Bah.. your cockpits suck, and your fuselages smell of elderberries! Stop circling and let me at you..!!!

#252685 - 26/03/2005 04:08 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
ROFL

#252686 - 26/03/2005 06:41 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: visuvius]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Your Battlefield Vietnam skills must be pretty uber.
Well he does fly a lot of remote controlled objects with very good skill (to avoid breaking very expensive gear). I'm sure with a good joystick, many of those skills can translate into the game easially.

I refuse to touch a plane in that game without a joystick.

#252687 - 26/03/2005 07:59 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: drakino]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Funnily enough, while my RC experience undoubtedly helps, I have tried using a joystick in BF vietnam and BF 1942, and prefer the keyboard and mouse. It's much easier for some reason.

The helicopters in desert combat are the most realistic, and therefore the hardest to fly. The BF vietnam ones are easy by comparison.

I was quite pleased to discover you can roll a heli in vietnam, which seems to take most people rather by surprise.

I still enjoy flying planes under bridges, although I haven't quite managed going under the bridge in flaming dart upside down yet. I've done the one in operation hastings (I think that's the one, with the temple?) though.

pac

#252688 - 26/03/2005 11:04 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: pca]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
You should pop on over to the server I play DC on. I'd love to have you school us! I'm pretty decent with any of the choppers and can do steady hovers, squirt between trees, etc. But I can't fly a plane to save my life. Everyone I know that is good at it uses a joystick, so that's cool you're able to do it so well with a keyboard and mouse. Any tips?

The server's site is at: http://dawggpownd.clanservers.com/. I play there mainly because of the 20 ping I get and the fact they are really consistant about rules (no base raping or tk'ing).

#252689 - 27/03/2005 00:21 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: pca]
TigerJimmy
old hand

You pretty much can't do anything in a chopper without a 3 axis joystick in Desert Combat. The 3rd axis is for the pedals -- yaw axis rotation. I use a MS Sidewinder where the 3rd axis is changed by rotating the handle.

After quite a bit of practice, I've become a pretty decent DC chopper pilot. I can put the blackhawk pretty much wherever it needs to be for the door guner. Hover, backwards, sideways, target orbit, whatever. I'm working on doing decent pirouettes.

Flying the helicopters in DC is the best part of the game, in my opinion. My favorite map is Lost City with the "no parachutes" modification. The US forces need to attack a city via helicopter infantry. Usually, people can jump out of the helicopters and parachute. In this version of the map, the pilots need to land, or at least get very low. My favorite thing to do is to hover the BH about 2 feet above the roof of one of the buildings to let out the infantry, or to just land the little AH6 on one of the rooftops.

Great game. Actually worth running Windoze for. I just ordered the new GTR racing simulator. Can't wait.

Jim

#252690 - 27/03/2005 01:00 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: TigerJimmy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I agree that the choppers MAKE DC so danged fun. I log into an empty server sometimes just to fly around. I make do with just keyboard and mouse, but it works pretty good.

Some of us empeggers should meet up online sometime. Especially when BF2 comes out... drooooool

#252691 - 27/03/2005 06:11 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I am so there for BF2! I used to use a MS Sidewinder gamepad (tried the joystick & throttle, but without the rudders it was rough), but now I pretty much use keyboard and mouse. While there are so many people out there better than I am, I feel I do pretty decent. Lately I have gone back to DC7. For some reason I just like it much better than DC Final.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#252692 - 28/03/2005 14:51 Re: Gaming ethics [Re: TigerJimmy]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I was pretty decent with helos in DC using the mouse and keyboard. I couldn't get off the ground without crashing using the joystick though.

Helicopters are more fun than fixed wing in almost any game, at least for me. There is something fundamentally cool about the extra control you have over them compared to a fixed wing.

- Tim