Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#254000 - 11/04/2005 20:36 Spec me a PC!
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I'm moving out my parents place and into a house with my girlfriend. Mum and dad want to keep the 3 year old Dell that we went 50:50 on so they're paying me off and I'll build my own. Trouble is I've been out the game for so long I no longer know whats good. I got lazy last time and just let Dell do it.

I'll be ripping out my Hauppauge PVR-250 to use in the new PC as well as the Sony internal DVD burner. I'll also want room for 2 hard drives.

So I need advice on my motherboard, cpu, ram, AGP graphics card, sound card etc. Oh... and a cute sexy case is a must - and it must hold all the stuff!

I'd like USB2 sockets and lots of em. I'd like built-in Wifi and Bluetooth but this is not so important. Firewire would also be good.

So if you you were me what would you want? I want this to be a great gaming PC as well as one that will do all my media bits and pieces like video editing/DVD burning too. No, it can't be a Mac They scare me and all my software is for PC, sorry! Maybe next time

Help me!

Edited by Phil. (11/04/2005 20:42)

#254001 - 11/04/2005 23:36 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'd start with a Shuttle case and go from there. Every base Shuttle will fit all of the above, with the P series chassis offering space for 4 total hard drives.

As far a s a great gaming card, it all depends on how much you want to spend for one. $200 range, I'm still sold on the peformance you get from an NVidia 6600 GT. $300-$400, start looking at the ATI X800 lineup. More then that, you might find an X850 XT PE (joke around the net is the PE stands for Phantom Edition, but it should be easier to find now that the card has been out for a few months).

CPU wise, I'd advise an Athlon 64 socket 939 of some speed. Again all depends on your price range. Dual core at a reasonable price still seems to be many months, if not a year off for the PC world.

#254002 - 12/04/2005 00:57 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Tom, I appologize, I was going to say that there wasn't a P series available for AMD, but they just recently put one out! Coolness. But I'm still not sold on Shuttle. You can't upgrade it as much as I'd like, and there isn't a lot of room for hard drives.

Since you gave no mention of budget, I'll just tell you what I would be looking at if I were building now (which isn't as expensive as you can get, but it's more than 50% of a Dell).

Lian-Li case
ASUS motherboard
AMD 3500+
Western Digital Raptor for a fast OS drive
ATI video card (I just like ATI)
BRAND NAME memory (Crucial or Corsair or something)

I'm sure there's parts I'm forgetting. I'm not sure what to do for wireless internet, for example. I will say that the Shuttle has a nifty antenna package. Someone else is going to have to put up a bluetooth solution.

Personally, the next time I upgrade I'll only be getting the motherboard and CPU since I've already got the rest. But I really recommend that case. It's gotten great reviews from what I've seen, and IMO has a really innovative layout.

Oh, and here's the least expensive 24" widescreen LCD monitor. It's impressive, with DVI/VGA/component/S-Video/composite inputs in addition to two USB ports and a 6-in-1 card reader. All for $1200, nearly $400 less than most compettition.

#254003 - 12/04/2005 04:25 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: Dignan]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
I am partial to shuttles: http://us.shuttle.com

I love em. Got one at home and the office.

#254004 - 12/04/2005 05:23 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But I'm still not sold on Shuttle. You can't upgrade it as much as I'd like, and there isn't a lot of room for hard drives.

You really have need of more then 4 hard drives inside a PC case? That to me seems rather dangerous, since one good power spike to the power supply and you have all the data toasted. I much prefer the idea of a server holding backups of anything important on my PC.

Shuttle cases are also quite upgradable in other aspects too. I could take my (now sold) Shuttle SS51G system, upgrade the motherboard to a Prescott or Athlon 64 capable board, add in a newer 350w power supply while retaining the same case I bought. I suppose there might be some preceived downside to being locked to a Shuttle motherboard, but they have proven they have staying power in the market, so I don't see them closing shop next week.

P series chassis also allow 3 expansion cards. I know the base Intel model offers the PCI-e 16x slot for a graphics card, a regular PCI slot, then a header for a PCI-e 1x card that would fit in the top of the case (though doing so reduces your hard drive capacity to 3). I have yet to find a desire to go beyond one AGP/PCIe and one PCI slot in a system for years.

Oh, I guess you could argue Shuttle systems can't do SLI video cards. Can't do SLI yet... would be the right phrase.

#254005 - 12/04/2005 07:10 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Quote:
Oh, I guess you could argue Shuttle systems can't do SLI video cards. Can't do SLI yet... would be the right phrase.

Slashdot links to HEXUS.net where it says "This article has been removed at Shuttle's request." - what's going on here?

#254006 - 12/04/2005 08:09 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: AndrewT]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Don't forget the cold cathodes, led fans and 5.25 bay mounted cigarette lighter!

Seriously, another vote for the shuttle, I've one in the office and a discless unit sat under the TV, very quiet.

Andy M

#254007 - 12/04/2005 12:14 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You really have need of more then 4 hard drives inside a PC case? That to me seems rather dangerous, since one good power spike to the power supply and you have all the data toasted. I much prefer the idea of a server holding backups of anything important on my PC.

Calm down, calm down. I appologize for not being familiar with a system released less than a month ago! I've been waiting around myself to see what the next AMD case they released would be, and I guess it figures that it's merely the same model that they've had out for Intel for a long while now.

Anyway, you're right, I don't want more than about 3 hard drives (you say four, but it doesn't look to me like even the new case can support four). Up until now the Shuttles could barely hold more than one. I also have two DVD burners that I use quite regularly, so that would be an inconvenience for me.

But yeah, now that I know about the new system, I'd recommend that too. I still think the Lian-Li V1000 is a nice case, though

#254008 - 12/04/2005 12:48 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Serverworks' Opteron chipset is starting to leak out into the real world. This is possibly not so relevant for great gaming PCs, but for great workstation PCs it's worth waiting for.

Peter

#254009 - 12/04/2005 14:20 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Ok for cuteness I like the Shuttle cases but theres too many to choose from. I'd like a form where I can tick boxes to say what I want to put in there and it tells me the right case. Does that exist? And is it possible to buy just the case and put my own board in there?

And AMD processors... how does their speed compare to the Intels? How does this compare?

Thanks

#254010 - 12/04/2005 15:54 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I linked to that processor because it seems to be the sweet spot right now. You can go faster on AMD but you'll spend three times as much.

Frankly, there aren't a lot of choices in Shuttles. Not if you check off some big items in your mind. First choose a processor. If you're going AMD, go with either the SN95G5 or the previously mentioned SN25P. The first is smaller but the second gives you more expansion options (except it doesn't have a PCI slot). The SN25P also has 6 USB ports, which you said was important to you.

#254011 - 12/04/2005 17:45 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
(you say four, but it doesn't look to me like even the new case can support four). Up until now the Shuttles could barely hold more than one. I also have two DVD burners that I use quite regularly, so that would be an inconvenience for me.

Odd, I thought the P series did 4, but it seems not unless you take out the optical drive. I think I saw the 4 SATA headers and thought that would mean space for 4. The old G Series held 2 just fine though with an optical drive in it, assuming you don't put in the space waster of a 3.5 inch floppy.

Regarding the SLI Shuttle, I think Hexus.net broke an NDA in posting about it. It was shown behind very closed doors, so Shuttle probably wasn't happy with an article detailing some of the things they were doing to get SLI in a box, since their competitors are likely working on similar.

#254012 - 12/04/2005 17:58 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
actually you can do SLI with shuttle cases starting with their latest model.
Pci_express graphics card slot and a pci+express x1 slot.

It can hold quite a few drives, but I am moving to external storage. a hotswappable SATA drive enclosure only costs about $100. and it can hold 5 drives. thats a 1TB plus storage in a neat box.

#254013 - 12/04/2005 18:16 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: JeepBastard]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
actually you can do SLI with shuttle cases starting with their latest model.
Pci_express graphics card slot and a pci+express x1 slot.

SLI needs more then just 2 PCIe slots. It needs 2 16x sized PCIe slots for the cards to fit, and motherboard support to then divide up a 16x lane into usually 2 8x lanes to each slot. PCIe slots are sized differently based on the type of card (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x), and a 16x card won't fit in a smaller slot, though a smaller card like a 4x card will fit into a 16x slot and work fine.

The motherboard maker is also responsible for providing a properly sized SLI link board that attaches to the top of both video cards.

And in a Shuttle sized box, you would also need more cooling directed at the video cards, since both cards that close togther would be a big source of heat inside the case.

#254014 - 12/04/2005 18:35 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Odd, I thought the P series did 4, but it seems not unless you take out the optical drive. I think I saw the 4 SATA headers and thought that would mean space for 4

No, you're right. I've been researching this new case all day (thanks a lot, now I'm drooling over it!), and you can fit 4 drives in it. One in the regular internal 3.5 bay, another in the floppy bay, another above the optical drive, and yet another right behind that one, hanging on the top rails of the case! Check it out! I have no doubt that Shuttle is good with airflow, so I'm sure it'll be okay to have the drives jammed in there like that. The P series does sit on the larger SFF range, but obviously you're getting a whole lot of advantage from that extra inch or so of height (two hard drives and a card reader).

I would complain that it sucks that you can't get a choice of colors, and are stuck with an odd shade of blue, but after seeing close-up pics on Anandtech, you can see that it's really nice.

Basically, my main complaint about SFF PCs was expansion possibilities. If you wanted that, you had to go with the Falcon Northwest PCs, which IMO are way too ugly to put on my desk for everyone to see. Now that I can put 4 hard drives in one of these tiny things, it's a lot more attractive. The two remaining annoyances are that I can only have one optical drive (I can put my other in an external enclosure), and that there's no PCI slot. That one's rough. Make note of that, Phil. (Your Hauppage card won't go into the SN25P.)

#254015 - 12/04/2005 22:47 Re: Spec me a PC! [Re: drakino]
tman
carpal tunnel

I'm pretty sure I've seen a motherboard which had a 16x slot and a 8x slot with one end just open. Looks a bit suspicious having the card edge just dangling in space but it apparently worked.

All the cards which are capable of doing SLI basically expect 8 channels each instead of 16 so you wouldn't be able to make it work even if you did hacksaw off the end of a slot.