Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#258757 - 22/06/2005 18:41 Advice from an eBay employee?
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Hopefully someone can advise me here. My girlfriend has recently bought an item on eBay. Once the item had *ended* and she had sent a postal order, the seller suddenly became an unregistered user. He's not answering emails and neither are eBay. So she's been left out of pocket - where do we stand? Surely eBay just cannot allow a seller to become unregistered when there are outstanding transactions?

And in another item... she bid and paid immediatley with Paypal (she had to as it was 'immediate payment required'). Next day she gets an email from eBay saying the listing had been removed and not to bid or send payment - ONCE THE ITEM HAD ENDED! WTF?? How can eBay do this? There was no reason that she can see for it being removed. Again, where do we stand?

Sorry for the rant but 2 transactions in a week are now f****d due to eBay messing up. eBay... by all means cancel bids or end auctions early if you need to but use some f*****g common sense.

#258758 - 22/06/2005 21:14 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
If you paid through PayPal, you can declare the item was never recieved (while logged into eBay). This opens a complaint. The seller has 14 days to reply to PayPal (or something like that) or else PayPal will give you your money back.

#258759 - 22/06/2005 21:22 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
The seller has 14 days to reply to PayPal (or something like that) or else PayPal will give you your money back.

Only if the money is in the seller's account. That's convenient for everyone but the screwed buyer. This happened to me with a transaction for over $300 last month.

#258760 - 22/06/2005 22:22 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

I've had emails arrive from eBay really late as well. Like confirmations that I've bid on an item which arrive after I've won it and paid. Or the item watch thing which notifies me after the item has expired etc... I don't trust any of the eBay email functions really just because it's so useless.

Don't know about the postal order item but the paypal one you should be able to complain to paypal.

#258761 - 23/06/2005 03:00 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: robricc]
Foz

Loc: San Jose, CA
I would recommend the following actions:

1) for the postal money order option, go to your local post office and file a fraud complaint.

2) For the paypal option, file a "nonshipping seller" (or whatever they are calling it now) complaint directly THROUGH paypal, which automatically triggers a whole sequence of events. You *have* to do this before you have any other recourse, and they can't legally do very much until you do this action.

Once you've done that, *call* eBay (do not email them). You specifically want to talk to someone in the Trust and Safety department. Tell them what's up, and start a formal complaint process. You wouldn't believe the amount of time they spend working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies trying desperately to keep things as clean as possible. Please be patient and kind to the T&S people, they work very hard in a very stressful position and while they will try very hard to do what they can, ultimately it's neither their fault nor eBay's fault and they are just trying to make things right.

eBay cannot pursue most actions until and unless you do these things. They don't have very much legal recourse or power until you start initiating formal complaints. The wheels of justice turn slowly sometimes, but if you work with them and work with the system you have a much better chance of getting a favorable result.

Unfortunately, eBay is just at the heart of it all a website and a transaction engine wrapped around feedback. People attribute a whole lot of magical powers to eBay, believing they can reach out and grab a package from a suddenly AWOL seller, pick a recalcitrant buyer up by the bootheels and shake them, or otherwise make things happen that they, in fact, have no legal ability to do at all.

At the heart of it, it's a trust model which unfortunately breaks down when a [censored] insists on screwing someone. The only thing I can personally recommend is never buy from someone with below a 98% feedback, never buy high ticket items from someone with low double-digit rating, never go outside the eBay system and inform eBay IMMEDIATELY if something looks fishy. Finally, as always, if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

HTH

DISCLAIMER: as always, I do not speak for eBay in any official capacity. These sentiments are not meant to reflect official eBay policy in any shape whatsoever. I'm just a humble tools engineer.

-- Gary F.
Eeyore, Original Owner -- Mk II 80 Gb, Blue S/N #090000803 Tigger, 2nd Owner -- Mk IIa, 80 Gb, Blue S/N #40103789

#258762 - 23/06/2005 09:37 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: Foz]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Unfortunately, eBay is just at the heart of it all a website and a transaction engine wrapped around feedback.

A++++ Great communication. Highly recommended!!!!

Sorry, your comment is dead on accurate. The whole feedback thing is mostly people giving good feedback when they're barely satisfied just because they're afraid to get negative feedback in return.

#258763 - 23/06/2005 11:28 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, eBay is just at the heart of it all a website and a transaction engine wrapped around feedback.

A++++ Great communication. Highly recommended!!!!

Lol, so true. Though I do wonder what kind of feedback the buyer had that screwed Phil over. I mean, if the guy was willing to close his user account, he couldn't have had a great rating that he'd be giving up.

#258764 - 23/06/2005 22:21 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
because they're afraid to get negative feedback in return.

When I used eBay pretty heavily between 1998 and 2001, I seem to remember that leaving a feedback (note, a single feedback) was a one way street. The buyer left feedback but the seller couldn't reply (and the buyer couldn't counter-reply?).

I've nearly eliminated my eBay usage since then and have backed off leaving feedback. I must have missed the change to feedback replies (and counter replies?) because it seems foreign and appears to dilute the system.

Sure, if someone leaves false feedback, it's great to reply. But, in almost 100% of the (very few) "reply and counterreply to negative feedback" scenarios that I saw, they seemed to be the "yes I did. no you didn't." banter that you'd just assume went on during the transaction. May be helpful, but it's more like a Jerry Springer episode to me. Haha, I totally scan feedback looking for the rare negative feedback reply war.

#258765 - 24/06/2005 04:34 Re: Advice from an eBay employee? [Re: Foz]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
2) For the paypal option, file a "nonshipping seller" (or whatever they are calling it now) complaint directly THROUGH paypal, which automatically triggers a whole sequence of events. You *have* to do this before you have any other recourse

Unless, of course, your paypal account only goes through your credit card. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter if the money is in the seller's account or not, because you just dispute the charges with your credit card company(*). Been there, done that when Paypal couldn't refund the total amount of the purchase. Paypal whined about it, but that's not my problem if Paypal can't recover the funds.

(*) You likely only have a 30 day window to dispute charges with your CC company.