Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#259059 - 27/06/2005 11:05 This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles.
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Every now and then, I am just struck and impressed by the capabilities of the empeg.

For the last few days, I have been thinking of a fragment of Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play". No idea why, but it is kind of quiet in the office at the moment, so I just queued it up on the player. It is amazing - every album I have in my library and more, all available at the touch of a button for instant listening. Try that with any other music or media system!

#259060 - 27/06/2005 11:13 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: pgrzelak]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Did I even tell you how much I hate you Paul

For those that do bring their empegs into the office, how do ye set them up for listening?

#259061 - 27/06/2005 11:35 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: Phoenix42]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have one of Mark's "works" docking stations connected to our Intranet. The audio outputs go to a headphone amp and headphones. The console port is connected to my workstation.

Basically, I have serial and TCP access, so I can either play raw from the player or TCP stream. The direct connect has high quality stereo headphones. For streaming single tracks or "stealth mode" listening, I also have an audio connection from my PC into the input to my telephone headset. Sadly, this is a rather compressed mono feed (mixing the channels), but it is great for listening to stuff in the background while looking like you are on a conference call...

#259062 - 27/06/2005 12:12 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: pgrzelak]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I know what you mean, I've just installed the my main empeg in the smart after not having it in a car for a few months, I'd nearly forgotten just how cool the empeg is. Of course this newly discovered joy is slightly marred by the fact the players mp3 collection is about 6 months behind, so I'm ripping a 2 foot high pile of new discs at work today using Brads excellent tutorial on EAC tweakery.

Andy M

#259063 - 27/06/2005 13:12 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Oh yeah.. thanks for the reminder.. gotta do some ripping Real Soon Now.. pile is getting higher and higher..

#259064 - 27/06/2005 13:30 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: Phoenix42]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
For those that do bring their empegs into the office, how do ye set them up for listening?

I built a home dock and connect the dock's RCA outputs into my PC line-in jack with a RCA-1/8th inch cable. The PC's output is then connected to my Altec Lansing PC speakers (they have their own amplifier and sub), which don't sound too bad.

#259065 - 27/06/2005 14:35 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: cushman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
...connect the dock's RCA outputs into my PC line-in jack

I do the same, using one of Mark's docks. The PC's connected to a pair of Harman/Kardon speakers, and I generally use headphones plugged into those.

#259066 - 27/06/2005 23:08 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: Phoenix42]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico

I just put the player on my desk and plug my headphones right into the line-outs. These are not full size ear-muff style headphones, but small in-the-ear style.

Works great.

tanstaafl.

#259067 - 28/06/2005 10:46 Re: This is the story of the hare who lost his spectacles. [Re: tanstaafl.]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:

Quote:
...connect the dock's RCA outputs into my PC line-in jack

I do the same, using one of Mark's docks.

Same here. MLord dock to PC. Except I split the signal 3 ways coming out of the PC. One line to my 5.1 speakers, which generally stay off in a business environment, one line to my music listening headphones, and one line to the headset I use for Skype (one ear...no good for music.) Works well for me. I have to pause the Empeg when I take a Skype call though.