Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#26163 - 04/02/2001 11:17 external mp3 jukebox
Moi
new poster

hi you guys,

First i'd like to say that i don't write that much on th BBS but i've seen almost every post and i'm praticing my english because of you all... thank's :-)

Ok. I've got a MK2 (895), a portable (satellite 4100xdvd) and a server jukebox (PII 333, 256 ram pc100, 4 x 30 gig maxtor 7200 rpm u66 in raid 0 on a ultra66 modified in a fasttrack 66, geforce 256 sdr 32 meg, avermedia tv98, soundblaster awe64 ....).

So I've got 50 gigs of mp3 in my jukebox. You'll be disapointed to learn that i'm running win98SE on my 2 PCs.
But it's very stable !!! I boot my server once a month average and my portable more often because of it's kind of utilisation ....

I would like to be able to access my mp3s on th server from the EMPEG when i'm at home. I've got the linksys router with 4 ports so every machine as it's ip and i'm not using th DHCP functionality because of the ftp server (warftp) on the Jukebox and of the web server on the EMPEG.

So the fisrt problem is that the partitions on the server are in fat32. Does this " distribution " used on the empeg can see and understand fat32 if i map it ?

And even if it does, how do i make the shortcut to the other computer ?

Everything is on the same partition so one shortcut to one directory would be fine.

I also would like the displayserver to aknowlege that i'm home and to add the relevant shortcuts.

So i could use the EMPEG to play all mp3 at home but not be limited to the one on my 12gigs hard drive.

Thank you for your time
See you

Jean-Christophe

#26164 - 04/02/2001 13:04 Re: external mp3 jukebox [Re: Moi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would like to be able to access my mp3s on the server from the EMPEG when i'm at home.

The Empeg Car player software depends on a very tightly-controlled set of files and database entries to manage its playlists and play songs. It also depends on being able to load those files into a proprietary caching system. It's entirely designed around all of those files being stored on its internal IDE hard drives. There's nothing in the player software that would allow it to include network-mapped drives in its song database.

So it would take a complete rewrite of the player software to be able to do what you're asking.

The good news is that the Rio/Empeg people have already designed another product (not the Empeg Car) which does this. It's called the Rio Receiver. It might be what you're looking for.

Right now, the Rio Receiver isn't on the market yet, but I believe Dell (or was it Compaq? I have a Lan-Party hangover and I'm not thinking clearly, I dont' remember) has a re-labeled version of this exact same product shipping now. Anyone have a link to the page where you can get this product?

#26165 - 04/02/2001 14:41 Re: external mp3 jukebox [Re: tfabris]
sts103
new poster

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tony,

I believe you are looking for the link to the Dell Digital Audio Receiver at http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/center_tools_dac_tools_receiver.htm

I'm pretty new to this forum and I am still learning how to create links.

I am surprised that within Sonicblue, there seem to be differing specifications for the Rio Digital Audio Receiver.
At the Rio Receiver page, system requirements describe a minimum Intel Pentium 200 MMX processor, 16mb of hard drive space and 32mb of ram (at http://www.riohome.com/products/receiver.htm). However, at their e-store order page, the system requirements change to an Intel Pentium 100 with 16mb of ram and 16 mb of hard drive space (at http://store.s3.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry10?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=291834&xid=25971&DSP=&CUR=840&CACHE_ID=0)

I have been looking for the Rio Car to appear at the SonicBlue store. I hope their empeg page is less confusing!

Adrian

#26166 - 04/02/2001 16:25 Re: external mp3 jukebox [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
The Empeg Car player software depends on a very tightly-controlled set of files and database entries to manage its playlists and play songs. It also depends on being able to load those files into a proprietary caching system. It's entirely designed around all of those files being stored on its internal IDE hard drives. There's nothing in the player software that would allow it to include network-mapped drives in its song database.

So it would take a complete rewrite of the player software to be able to do what you're asking.

Hm, perhaps it would be possible, for a bet, to run smbmount on empeg, symlink manually a couple of MP3 files into /driveN/fids/NNN0, write NNN1s by hand, and hope that database rebuild will recognise them.... But yes, if one actually wants to use PC as MP3 repository, Rio Receiver is a way to go.

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#26167 - 04/02/2001 16:57 Re: external mp3 jukebox [Re: sts103]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The system requirements for the Rio Receiver are pretty minimal (ie, it'd run on a 486 fairly well). Problem is, put too low a spec on the required machine and people will moan about not being able to effectively rip & compress on the machine.

Hugo

#26168 - 05/02/2001 01:59 Re: external mp3 jukebox [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

Right now, the Rio Receiver isn't on the market yet, but I believe Dell (or was it Compaq? I have a Lan-Party hangover and I'm not thinking clearly, I dont' remember) has a re-labeled version of this exact same product shipping now. Anyone have a link to the page where you can get this product?

It's Dell that you are thinking of. Compaq has only made the iPaq flash memory MP3 player, and helped with the PJB100 so far.

Also, my local Best Buy had a Rio Reciever price tag out on the shelves last time I was there, but no units. $349 if I remember right.