Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#263388 - 24/08/2005 15:28 Car keying story...
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Check this out....

A friend from Sydney is here from my company. Last night, he came by, parked his rental in front of my condo in SF, and we went to dinner and to see Ben Folds at Davies Symphony Hall. We were gone for about 3 hours or so. When we got back, the alarm in his car was going off and there were several nasty notes on the car. Apparently, the car alarm had been going off for about 3 hours.

He shut off the alarm, and I went outside to get the notes from the car. My neighbor, a pretty prominent woman lawyer, was also outside, and she asked if it was my car. I told her that it was my friend's and that I was sorry if it disturbed her. She pretty much stormed off as she was upset. I can't blame her, 3 hours of that alarm must have been pretty annoying.

After calling Hertz, my friend decided to swap for a new car. He left, and soon called me and told me that the car had been keyed all across the passenger side. I wrote my neighbor a note to apologize again and then went to bed.

It then started to annoy me that someone had keyed the car. I realized that the building's security cameras probably caught the keying... So I fired up the app on my PC and started watching to see if I could spot who did it. I started at 10:00 PM and started searching forward from there. Well, at 10:05, this lawyer walks out of her place, over to the right side of the car, does her thing, and makes a bee line back to her door. TOTALLY CAUGHT!

So I re-forwarded her my note with another that says "I just watched the video. The keying happened at 10:05, and I'm considering a discussion with the police."

She called me this morning and totally owned up to it. Said she had a "lapse of judgement."

Hertz didn't notice the damage, but if they do, I'll connect this woman with my friend and let them work it out.

I can't believe she did it. My friend wasn't negligent or being nasty - the car just happened to have some kind of alarm defect and he wasn't there to correct it.

That's my story. Any thoughts?

- Jon

#263389 - 24/08/2005 15:31 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
TOTALLY CAUGHT!

That's awesome!

#263390 - 24/08/2005 15:36 Re: Car keying story... [Re: robricc]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I think you should go to the police, "Lapse of judgement" my arse, that's criminal (isn't it?) I've had enough cars keyed to want justice if it's available, even if it is only for Hertz. Scumbag.

#263391 - 24/08/2005 15:41 Re: Car keying story... [Re: tahir]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I think you should go to the police, "Lapse of judgement" my arse, that's criminal (isn't it?) I've had enough cars keyed to want justice if it's available, even if it is only for Hertz. Scumbag.

I think it's considered vandalism or destruction of property.

I really hate to start a war with my neighbor... plus, I wonder if the police would even pursue it. SF police don't like to deal with stuff like this. I've seen them first hand try to dismiss stuff like this.

I agree that it was a scumbag move, but I do think she learned her lesson. She had to eat a lot of pride to get caught doing what she did and then admit to it. I'm sure she's embarrased.

If Hertz charges my friend, then she'll pay for it - (I think.)

- Jon

#263392 - 24/08/2005 15:41 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
pwnd i think is the term

Andy M

#263393 - 24/08/2005 15:43 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
yup I think I'd sit on it for the time being, just make sure you save the footage somewhere safe.

They must be seriously cool apartments to have CCTV that advanced.

Andy M

#263394 - 24/08/2005 15:45 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I would go for it - even if just to collect enough money to pay Hertz for the damage. I bet that at some point they will notice and totally stuff the previous hirer for the damage. I would hate it if that happened to me!

If you go to the police and she is prosecuted then it would so her career some serious damage, so think carefully. On the plus side you might end up with free legal advice for life.

Gareth

#263395 - 24/08/2005 15:51 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
SF police don't like to deal with stuff like this. I've seen them first hand try to dismiss stuff like this.

Same here in London.

#263396 - 24/08/2005 15:53 Re: Car keying story... [Re: g_attrill]
jbauer
veteran

The act was caught across 3 camera's. It's hard to see clearly. I snapped this one shot through the front door of the lobby where you can see her. I can follow her leave her place in one camera, then walk by the lobby in this snapshot, and then see her do the act in the 3rd camera. Attached is for your viewing pleasure... It was at 10:10 pm, not 10:05...

The cameras are from http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/ but I wouldn't fully recommend them. Maybe the unit we have is old, but it's pretty slow...

- Jon

Attachments
263184-Lawyer.JPG (412 downloads)

#263397 - 24/08/2005 15:55 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
she asked if it was my car. I told her that it was my friend's and that I was sorry if it disturbed her. She pretty much stormed off as she was upset

This tells me she didn't even care if it was your car. She did this not caring if it was a visitor or her OWN NEIGHBOR. Keep the video just in case Hertz has a problem with the damage, otherwise use it at a later date for fun or profit.

#263398 - 24/08/2005 16:03 Re: Car keying story... [Re: tahir]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
I would say you should at least notify the property management. there may have been in the past other 'lapses', or more to come.

and if she's the 'high and mighty' type, she might be the kind of person to complain that others in the complex are 'troublesome types', and this information could show her true colors.

I would call the cops and have her flogged (:

#263399 - 24/08/2005 16:08 Re: Car keying story... [Re: lastdan]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I would say you should at least notify the property management. there may have been in the past other 'lapses', or more to come.

That's a good point. I'm doing that for sure. BTW, she is a bit of a high and mighty type, although she's never been that way towards me. I wouldn't want to have to be fighting her for any reason. She's a bit of a bulldog.

- Jon

#263400 - 24/08/2005 16:18 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
The management might kick her out, in which case you won't have to worry about her as a neighbor any longer.
A lawyer!! Of all people! How 'bout a nice letter to the BAR!
Don't they have to take some ethical oath??

#263401 - 24/08/2005 16:20 Re: Car keying story... [Re: Robotic]
oliver
addict

maybe the car alarm wasn't going off, and when she keyed it, it triggered the alarm.

#263402 - 24/08/2005 16:30 Re: Car keying story... [Re: oliver]
jbauer
veteran

The car alarm was definitely going off when she did "her deed." You can see it in the video.

I doubt they can kick someone out. The worst they could do is fine her, which I doubt they'd do either. They probably will say that this is a matter between her and the car owner...

Yeah, it's amazing to me that of all people that would do this, it was her. There are others in my building that wouldn't have surprised me at all, but her? Weird.

Like Mark said above, she must have thought that the owner of the car could be an homeowner or a guests car. It's lucky for her that it was a rental, but she didn't know that... Really bad behavior.

- Jon

#263403 - 24/08/2005 16:38 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
The car alarm was definitely going off when she did "her deed."

Ahhhh, now I see. The initial story wasn't quite clear in the basic reason for her keying the car. I assumed it was because the alarm was going off, but not sure.

I say turn her in.

#263404 - 24/08/2005 17:46 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
visuvius
addict

Definitely turn her in. She would not have given a rats ass had she not been caught and would probably do the same thing again. I think you're giving her leeway (sp?) because its a rental, but I think thats a mute point. She didn't know it was a rental, it could have been her next door neighbors. I would at the very least give her a hard time. IMHO she got off waaaaaaay too easy for something so serious.

#263405 - 24/08/2005 17:57 Re: Car keying story... [Re: visuvius]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
leeway (sp?) ... mute point

You question the spelling of the word you spelled correctly and not the one you didn't.

It's "moot".

#263406 - 24/08/2005 17:59 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
tman
carpal tunnel

Wow. What an ass. She's not particularly clever either if this is a whole building CCTV system that you all have access to.

#263407 - 24/08/2005 18:50 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
I'm sure Hertz will catch the damage, either when the car is cleaned and prepped for the next rental or at least when the next renter does his walk-around pre-acceptance inspection. You know then that they'll just end up automatically charging the credit card of the previous renter for the repair....

And yes, what a complete ass.

#263408 - 24/08/2005 19:04 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I say screw her! She's vandalised someones property and probably not for the first time. I say report it to cover yourself when the rental firm notices the damage.

Or if you don't want to report her, when your friend gets the bill from the rental firm get her to pay for it and warn her that any repeat of her actions and the tape will find itself sent to lots of places.

#263409 - 24/08/2005 19:10 Re: Car keying story... [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
I say screw her! ...and the tape will find itself sent to lots of places.

POST IT!!
I WANNA SEE TOO!

#263410 - 24/08/2005 20:26 Re: Car keying story... [Re: Robotic]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Keying the car was totally bummer...however, as one who sat for 2 hours in my living room while a real estate person was off with a client and left his car at the property he was trying to sale that was across the street...I just called the Police, and they had the car towed. Pissed off the agent...and was very satisfying to me, and expensive to him.
All this to say I hate car alarms going off for no valid reason. Very rude. But, to quote a famous Jedi, there are alternatives!

#263411 - 25/08/2005 04:28 Re: Car keying story... [Re: Ladmo]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I agree with calling the cops to check out an alarm that's been going off for that long. No need to key a vehicle.

As someone who's had their car keyed before, I'm with the folks that say turn her in -- unless she's willing to sign a full document admitting to act, and that she will be making full restitution. Furthermore, you shouldn't wait for Hertz to notice -- you should point it out, and give them the lady's contact info, so they can bill her for damages.

#263412 - 25/08/2005 05:07 Re: Car keying story... [Re: canuckInOR]
jbauer
veteran

Hi All,

I've been thinking about this all day. It's helped to read all the opinions and advice on here for sure.

I thought about calling Hertz, but I believe that they'd persue restitution with my friend as he's the one they had a contract with and he's ultimately responsible for the car. I think it would be up to him to try and recover whatever damages he (or the insurance through our company) would be responsible for... Since he's based in
Sydney, this would just be difficult for him to do.

Cops? I really think this would be bad for me ultimately. 1) To be honest, I think that this woman wields more power than I do within the courts and with the cops. She most probably will figure out how to skate, and then all I've done is created a real enemy and made our co-existence much more difficult. 2) The cops really won't care much and 3) My friend doesn't have any actual damages - Hertz did, and they aren't persuing it. (yet?)

I told the HOA about the situation, and the lawyer was unhappy that I did that. I also feel that she has been s-ing the proverbial brick today do to her guilty feeling and concern for her career/position in the building/community/law firm/etc. I really am feeling that she HAS paid in some ways for what she has done.

So I think I need to put this ugly event behind me and move on. It was an interesting experience for sure, and I learned a lot about this woman and what she is really made of. I know that I've FELT like keying a car based on what the DRIVER did behind the wheel. To me, if someone is a total prick behind the wheel, they may deserve that kind of punishment, even though under most circumstances, I wouldn't do it.

In this situation, her aggression about the annoying security system was directed towards the car, when the owner had nothing to do with the problem. It's not as if he could have done something to resolve it, or that he set out to piss people off. The aggression may have helped her to feel less frustrated, but it was absolutely without excuse, no matter how you slice it.

Sorry for the ramble. Hope I made some sense.

- Jon

#263413 - 25/08/2005 07:12 Re: Car keying story... [Re: canuckInOR]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
you should point it out, and give them the lady's contact info, so they can bill her for damages.

Agree

#263414 - 25/08/2005 07:37 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Quote:
I really am feeling that she HAS paid in some ways for what she has done.

No, she hasn't. She's sorry allright, but the only thing she's sorry about is the fact that she got caught. Tell me, would you feel the same way if we were talking about YOUR car car here?

The only thing I understand is that you are scared to do the right thing. And you know what the right thing is. I wished people would start talking their responibilities towards society more serious again. That they not only would know their rights, but also their duties.

You letting this be is wrong. It letting the "bad guys" win, and that is just so wrong. Also, this WILL make her feel good. The mere fact that she did it and got away with it. Ok, so she probably won't do it again, not in your apartment block anyway. (and if she does, she'll be more careful next time).
The fact that she is a lawyer only makes this worse. They are NOT above the law. If you make a formal complaint, I can't see of any way she can worm herself out of this one.

There ARE ways of dealing with this. Ignoring it is not the correct way. Please, please, don't do this.

(sorry if I come across a bit harsh, but stuff like this enrages me)

#263415 - 25/08/2005 07:59 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
What about notifying the apartment complex anonymously of the incident and let them check the tapes and have them handle the issue..?
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#263416 - 25/08/2005 09:18 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
I think I would think along these lines too, if I were in your position.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#263417 - 25/08/2005 09:38 Re: Car keying story... [Re: BartDG]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
No, she hasn't. She's sorry allright, but the only thing she's sorry about is the fact that she got caught. Tell me, would you feel the same way if we were talking about YOUR car car here?

The only thing I understand is that you are scared to do the right thing. And you know what the right thing is. I wished people would start talking their responibilities towards society more serious again. That they not only would know their rights, but also their duties.

I think I would react in similar way. While *catching* somebody vandalizing my or any other cat or anything (playgound equipment seems to be popular target) would probably land me in jail for few days for disproportional violence, I cool down quickly and become more rational.

Once a guy stole a can of gas from my Citroën 2CV wreck, on other occasion a guy bumped (on icy street) into my parked car and broke turn indicator lens. In both occasions I had witnesses, and in the later physical evidence (traces of my paint on guy's car - he lives down the street). In both case I just let people know I know (and can prove) they were the culprits. (OK, prehaps I could not prove the first one - the witness was the thief's (my neighbour with, errr, checkered past) little daughter who, driving her tricycle, shouted "Mister, mister, my dad took something from your car!" ) I got my can back, and I don't remember how the later incident finished - I think the guy found the lens on some scrapyard. No need for police, courts...
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >