Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#26355 - 07/02/2001 19:34 JEmpeg 1.0b1!
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Hey everyone -- The new release of JEmpeg is out (at long last). Daniel Zimmerman and I have been cranking out fixes and testing for several weeks now, and we're pretty happy with the current version. We spent a lot more time on adding "niceties" into the UI and making the protocol implementation more robust (hopefully it won't corrupt your database now :) ).

Go grab it from Sourceforge or from jempeg.org.

Daniel is going to be building nicer Mac installers for the OS 9 and OS X crowd, so be on the lookout for his post.

Thanks a lot to everyone who used the last few versions and keep us informed as you find issues/want enhancements.

Mike Schrag

#26356 - 08/02/2001 02:02 Re: JEmpeg 1.0b1! [Re: mschrag]
dmz
journeyman

Loc: Pasadena, California, USA
As it happens, I wasn't able to do a (reliable) nicer version for Mac OS X - they're changing the format of their "java app wrapper" too fast to keep up with, so I'll wait until that stabilizes sometime later this month and then put a Mac OS X app version up. But for Mac OS 9, there's a single-file (plus readmes, of course :) application version of JEmplode available at http://www.jempeg.org/installers-10b1/JEmplode-1.0b1.sit. The main advantage to this version is the pretty icon, but it also means you don't have to run the InstallAnywhere installer or worry about multiple files needing to be present to run the app - just decompress and double-click to run.

At some point, there will probably be a native GUI for Mac OS X built on top of the JEmpeg libraries, to take better advantage of various Mac OS X features; that's a long way off, though.

A note to everyone who's going to grab and use JEmpeg: please send all feedback (bugs, feature requests, complaints, compliments, etc) to [email protected], so that both Mike and I see it - it gives you a better chance of getting a quick response and/or resolution. :)

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman, Caltech Computer Science
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB
Daniel M. Zimmerman Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB Mk.1 #00101, 10GB

#26357 - 08/02/2001 06:14 Re: JEmpeg 1.0b1! [Re: mschrag]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Well done guys, it's looking good!

Rob

#26358 - 08/02/2001 12:11 Re: JEmpeg 1.0b1! [Re: mschrag]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Hoorah, Hoorah!

I know Mac users (I'm not one) will thank you. For me, it will mean being able to synch directly from the Linux server that stores my collection instead of mediating synch through a Windows Samba client. Quicker, quicker!

Side note: I used grip (with cdparanoia and LAME) and Digital DJ (with MySQL) when ripping my CD collection. In my haste, I missed a few CDDB inconsistencies and misspellings (Little Feat was "Litte", Richard_and_Linda_Thompson were sometimes "Richard_&_Linda") and went fishing for a tool that would let me browse and fix entries in the DDJ MySQL database. I tried one PHP-based tool that was not so hot, but then found phpMyAdmin (from phpwizard.net). It was a cinch to install and seems to work great. Just an FYI for anyone looking at that kind of setup. Now I just need to figure out how to synch the DDJ MySQL playlists with the Empeg's.

Thanks for your continued work on this. Off I go to download it.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#26359 - 08/02/2001 23:20 Re: JEmpeg 1.0b1! [Re: mschrag]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Waaahoooo a new version!

-Mike