Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266460 - 30/09/2005 12:17 The White Stripes on NPR
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm not sure how many of the folks here are into The White Stripes, but I recently started listening to them and got into them big-time. I was fortunate to see them and my other current favorite band, The Shins, this week at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Coumbia, MD. It was a fantastic show, one of the best I've ever seen, which was unexpected because I thought the sound system would be absolutely terrible. I saw Velvet Revolver there and I guess they just have bad sound people.

Anyway, I'm posting this because apparently the band asked NPR to record the show. It is available to stream from their site here. Just be sure that you first select the program you'll be streaming with here.

The quality is excellent, and although I hate to do it to NPR, I've captured it to WAV and plan on putting it on my empeg soon. I don't feel very guilty, since I own all the White Stripes and Shins albums, and if this were available to purchase I'd buy it too. I know, it's not an argument that would hold in court, but I feel the need to justify myself

Anyway, I strongly recommend it. The band is not bad live, like everyone says. Yeah, they're a little rough, but it fits their music. Just the sheer energy that went into their show was amazing.

#266461 - 30/09/2005 13:14 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dignan]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yeah, that NPR series is great. I haven't listened to the White Stripes concert yet but I'm going to capture the streaming audio like you did.

They broadcast the Sigur Ros show I went to a few weeks ago. It was a great show and the sound quality of the NPR broadcaset was awesome. It's really cool to have a good recording of a show I went to.

#266462 - 30/09/2005 16:28 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dignan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Hm. I wonder what the easiest way to capture to a WAV is. I have the same thought.

The White Stripes are a recent thing for me too, going back to July. They played here in early August and I missed them. They played Columbus a few weeks ago when I was there, a sold out show. Oh well.

#266463 - 30/09/2005 16:37 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Daria]
Dylan
addict

On the Mac I use Audio Hijack Pro which is a useful app for me in several ways. I'm sure someone else can post the Windows solution.

#266464 - 30/09/2005 16:50 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dylan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I'm a Mac person.

Oh sh*t. I'm using the audio, though. Hm. Well, I'll look anyway.

#266465 - 30/09/2005 17:02 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dignan]
Dylan
addict

Darn, NPR only did this one at 64 kbs. The RealMedia version of the Sigur Ros show was at 177 kbs.

#266466 - 30/09/2005 17:06 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dylan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
On the Mac I use Audio Hijack Pro which is a useful app for me in several ways. I'm sure someone else can post the Windows solution.

I used Cool Edit Pro (no, not Audition - stupid Adobe). If you don't mind a mono recording (not sure how much stereo seperation there'd be anyway), you could always use Sound Recorder, which is on Windows already.

#266467 - 30/09/2005 17:06 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Daria]
Dylan
addict

Quote:
I'm a Mac person.

Audio Hijack can capture the output of a specific program so you won't get your system sounds and everything else in the stream.

Edit: If you are going to compress the output, the bookmarkable AAC option is nice for something like this. I'm not going to take the time to split the concert into seperate tracks so it's just one 90+ minute track. With bookmarkable AAC's, iTunes/iPod will remember where you last were in the track the next time you play it. It even carries those bookmarks between the computer and the iPod if you listen to some of the concert on each.

Edited by Dylan (30/09/2005 17:25)

#266468 - 30/09/2005 17:10 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dylan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a Mac person.

Audio Hijack can capture the output of a specific program so you won't get your system sounds and everything else in the stream.

Heh, yeah, I just made sure to close any program that might launch something in the middle of the recording. I can just imagine Ad-Aware finishing a scan and putting that horrible farting sound right in the middle of a 90 minute recording

Oh, and Windows users could give Audacity a shot. I've never used it, just opened it and looked around, so I don't remember if it can do this or not, but I imagine it should be able to capture the sounds on your system.

#266469 - 30/09/2005 19:12 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The correct windows solution is Total Recorder. It inserts itself as a shim in the audio driver allowing you to stream all wave audio to disk. I believe this is the functional equivalent of the macintosh program mentioned above.

Another way is to save the stream and transcode. There are programs that will save RealAudio streams to disk (I use NetTransport) and others which will transcode RealAudio files into MP3 (I use Streambox Ripper).

#266470 - 01/10/2005 01:02 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Daria]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Duh. Just capture the asf stream with mimms or with VLC's raw dump feature, and transcode to wav later.

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -I dummy vlc-output.asf :sout='#transcode{acodec=s16l}:std{access=file,mux=wav,url=vlc-output.wav}' vlc:quit

#266471 - 01/10/2005 03:05 Re: The White Stripes on NPR [Re: Dignan]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Here is the Odeo channel for All Songs Considered which gives you one song each from The White Stripes, M. Ward, and The Shins.