Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#268304 - 28/10/2005 18:04 USB to line out
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
My wife uses a Sony PC which works fine, but it has no line out and no PCI slots to put a sound card in. We would like a line out to use with a HiFi in the next room, simultaneously with the speakers in the PC.
I've tried 3 different USB to line out gizmo's, but all of them cut out the PC speakers (They switch out the on-board sound card).
Can anybody think of something suitable, or a workaround?

#268305 - 28/10/2005 18:40 Re: USB to line out [Re: boxer]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
The USB device is just changing default output device. Are you trying to play the same thing on the line out and the PC speakers?

#268306 - 29/10/2005 03:35 Re: USB to line out [Re: Attack]
boxer
pooh-bah

Yes, all I'm trying to do is listen to whatever is playing on thr PC, generally winamp or digitv, in the kitchen and dining room at the same time.

#268307 - 29/10/2005 14:57 Re: USB to line out [Re: boxer]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You will probably need a smart little piece of software in addition to the USB sound device. All the USB audio devices I've seen are as you describe, they replace the built-in audio. It's like using a sound card in a desktop, you generally only use one.

There may be some software available that can reroute the audio to multiple sound devices. I know Total Recorder for Windows hijacks audio and lets you send it to different places like a file, maybe it also lets you reroute to which device and/or allows multiple devices. Anyway, this gives you an idea of what type of software to search for.

On a Mac the first place I'd look (for example) is Rogue Amoeba software's Detour which gives you amazing control over where audio (from any source or application) goes. Though I'm not sure if you can select multiple destinations either.

Otherwise you may just have to use an exttra set of external PC speakers connected to one of those USB devices while also having the same device connected to your HiFi.

Bruno

#268308 - 29/10/2005 15:11 Re: USB to line out [Re: boxer]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
How about mounting a pair of phono sockets or a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the rear of the PC and wiring them to the internal speaker wiring? The levels would be too high for the HiFi but you could easily fix that with a pair of series resistors and a preset potentiometers.

This obviously won't suit you if you're a HiFi buff but it's cheap and easy. You could even leave the socket dangling at the back of the PC rather than start drilling holes and generating swarf.

#268309 - 29/10/2005 15:21 Re: USB to line out [Re: AndrewT]
boxer
pooh-bah

Both good bits of thinking, Thanks, I'll try out the TotalRecorder route in the morning, if not, I might have a recce with a screwdriver.
The other thing that I thought of, was whether any of the other programs would let a RioReceiver work as a slave, but I can't find any reference to it.

#268310 - 01/11/2005 07:57 Re: USB to line out [Re: boxer]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
If you have WiFi how about a apple airport express you can send MP3 to it via a wireless netwrok

#268311 - 01/11/2005 08:32 Re: USB to line out [Re: thinfourth2]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
The construction of Godfreys house can be likened to a hardened nuclear facility. Some of the walls are several feet thick. I don't think WiFi works.

Andy M

#268312 - 01/11/2005 14:19 Re: USB to line out [Re: boxer]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
If total recorder doesn't work out, how opposed to a seccond set of speakers for the computer are you? Then a plain headphone splitter should get you what you're looking for, right?

Matthew