Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#268615 - 01/11/2005 17:18 Headphone holder?
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Ok, I know this sounds trivial, but I dropped (and broke) the case that my Sony headphones came in that I used to use. It was one of those plastic round cases that winds the cords up and makes it easy to carry the headphones when you weren't using them. So without a case, I am forever untangling them for daily use.

Any good solutions for this nuisance? Just buy another set of headphones to get another case? What do you people do?!

- Thanx
- Jon

#268616 - 01/11/2005 17:36 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Heh, I've still got a set of old Sony earbud headphones with one of those windup cases. The headphones sound like crap compared to the Fontopias, though, so I haven't used them in a while.

For the fontopias, I just wrap them up carefully. I spent a lot of time being a roadie for myself and for friends' bands, so I learned all the interesting ways you can do a tangle-free cord wrap. Sometimes they'll get tangled up, but only if I don't carefully wrap them when I'm not using them.

#268617 - 01/11/2005 17:40 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
The headphones sound like crap compared to the Fontopias, though, so I haven't used them in a while.

Ok, maybe it's time to buy some new ones. I've had these for way too long (close to 10 years, I think). How do the Fontopias compare with the Shure or the Etymotics?

Which model do you have?

- Jon

#268618 - 01/11/2005 17:50 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There have been discussions about the Fontopias vs. the Etymotics elsewhere on the BBS. I haven't tried them, so I can't offer an opinion. But I like the fontopias.

Mine are the MDR-EX70 model, I've got three pair of them just to make sure I've always got a pair where I need them. That's how much I like them.

#268619 - 01/11/2005 18:30 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: jbauer]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:
How do the Fontopias compare with the Shure or the Etymotics?

Quote:
Mine are the MDR-EX70 model, I've got three pair of them just to make sure I've always got a pair where I need them. That's how much I like them.

Well, I gave me EX70's away as soon as I had used me Sure e3c's for the first time. I bought them as a luxury item though, as I'm not really convinced they're worth the $100 premium over the Sonys.

Matthew

#268620 - 02/11/2005 07:32 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: matthew_k]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
basically, if you want boom, get the sonys. if you want an almost perfect representation of what you're listening to, get the etymotics. I have two of them (for my nano and my regular ipod), and swear by them. is it justified to drop 70$ more on them? well, i'm a firm believer of buy the top of the once and keep it as long as you can, instead of the alternative of buy low and be dissatisfied.

#268621 - 02/11/2005 08:53 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: jbauer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
the Etymotics?

Not that it necessarily makes them worth the money (I personally can't tell the difference from the ER6) but the Etymotic ER4 is made with wire that's slightly rubberised and much less flexible than normal headphone wires -- not inflexible enough to be a problem, but inflexible enough that it never seems to tie itself in knots.

Peter

#268622 - 05/11/2005 02:08 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: jbauer]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Back to the original question, I have a pair of Fontopias and the small case that came with them didn't suffice, either. I picked up a pair of Koss headphones at Wal-Mart that came with this nifty swivel case for $4.88. The case fits my Fontopias and the headphones make a pretty good cat toy.

Attachments
268886-headphonecase.jpg (114 downloads)

#268623 - 07/11/2005 12:23 Re: Headphone holder? [Re: cushman]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I've got some of those cases knocking about in my junk box, Jon, if you want one I can post it to you.
I use the Sony's with my Karma, I also have the noise cancelling version, which, frankly, aren't worth the money.
I used to get through cheap ones for my bedside radio about every couple of months, by falling asleep and turning over. I mainly listen to spoken word: I've discovered the secret is to take an open top bus tour of Edinburgh, or wherever I am, when I run out, that way we get a couple of free pairs!