Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270914 - 29/11/2005 02:41 Tuner and Dock?
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
I was wondering if there is a way to hook the tuner module up to a ML Dock ( or maybe a sled type dock) without a lot of pain and swearing? I checked the FAQ and did a quick search here, and did not see any info about it...I know...why bother, but hey, I gotta ask!
Thanks

#270915 - 29/11/2005 03:32 Re: Tuner and Dock? [Re: Ladmo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Mark's docks don't have a tuner connector, no.

You could fashion one, but I think you would need extra pins to insert into the docking connector, I don't think he populates all the pins in his dock. You would also need the molex connector for the other end.

Assuming you could source the pins, I don't think the project would involve pain and swearing, just patience and care.

I have an ML dock (unmodified), and also a home-made dock with the tuner connector dangling out the back for the tuner module. So I know it can work that way even though I haven't done it to Mark's dock.

#270916 - 29/11/2005 12:52 Re: Tuner and Dock? [Re: Ladmo]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
There are three (that I know of) docks made by me that have tuner connectors dangling out the backside. Easy enough to hook up: just need the tuner Molex connector, and the extra gold pins for the docking connect, and some hookup wire and stuff.

The Parts List thread has part numbers for all of this. I found the Molex connectors at my local electronics shop, but some people just cut up the "tuner extension cable" that came with their (original Empeg) tuners.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (29/11/2005 12:53)

#270917 - 29/11/2005 14:54 Re: Tuner and Dock? [Re: mlord]
Ladmo
addict

Thanks, all!
Mark, I take it that is not the same connector that is needed to wire a 'bare bones' (unwired) ML Dock?
I think I still have a couple of harness and 'pig tails' that came with the sleds...but I'd hate to hack up one of those...
Thanks again ...(now if I can find the thread!)

#270918 - 29/11/2005 16:58 Re: Tuner and Dock? [Re: Ladmo]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Thanks, all!
Mark, I take it that is not the same connector that is needed to wire a 'bare bones' (unwired) ML Dock?
I think I still have a couple of harness and 'pig tails' that came with the sleds...but I'd hate to hack up one of those...
Thanks again ...(now if I can find the thread!)

Consult this thread

#270919 - 30/11/2005 23:11 Re: Tuner and Dock? [Re: mlord]
Ladmo
addict

I guess I could just hack the connector from one of the sleds that I am not using. I had one used, which has been tentivly spoken for, and two new ones. I could hack one, and that still leaves me one in case I decide to, and can figure out a way to install it in a 2005 Ford Escape. Thoughts?