Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27471 - 28/02/2001 20:48 Programmable Remote Tangent
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
This may be a 1-post thread, but thought I'd post an FYI on something I stumbled across...

I'd been looking for an all-in-one prgrammable remote for TV/DVD, etc and Empeg (when at home in my in-progress docking box), but had some cost and usability concerns about the high-end options like Philips Pronto. I found a positive review that referred to the somewhat programmable Radio Shack 15-1994 remote (currently on-sale for $30 U.S.), but then a much more intriguing Web page detailing how to build a build an EEPROM programming box for this class of remote -- even a software archive with a few Linux and DOS programs to dump/load -- even import from a Pronto config. Anyhow, I got one on sale and now am going to see if I can use my soldering iron without killing myself. The 1994 hack page is at:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/hack/index.shtml

This "6-in-1" may not be enough for some huge home theater setups, but for me, this could be sweet!

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#27472 - 28/02/2001 20:53 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

OK, *two* posts. I should say that I might get enough functionality out of this unit (it has 4 "custom" learning buttons) without building the JP1 box. I'm away from home, so haven't had a chance to see how well this thing will emulate the Kenwood remote yet (short of building the box). I'll see. 30 bucks.

Jim

#27473 - 28/02/2001 23:45 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I love the Pronto I have, but I can understand the cost factor. It's alot to spend on a remote.

Just thought I'd let you know that someone posted the remote codes a while back. search for Pronto and you'll find them. just makes it easier

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#27474 - 01/03/2001 00:28 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
OMFG...

I own one of those remotes. It's the one I use for my big screen TV and DVD player. I swear by it.

I had always wondered if I could do eprom programming on it. Now you've just provided a link on that very subject. THANKS!

The remote itself is actually quite programmable to begin with. It's essentially one of the "One-For-All" remotes (a "Cinema 7" I believe) with the Radio Shack logo silkscreened onto it.

Anyone familiar with the One-For-All's knows what a great value they are. You can do all sorts of tricky programming on them out-of-the-box if you're willing to sit down and punch a bunch of numeric codes. The codes can be found in dozens of places on the internet. You can assign any function to any button, program huge macros onto any button, have the remote "learn" codes from other remotes, etc. Very flexible considering the price.

The only problem is that, while many of the One-For-All's were billed as "Upgradeable" (send it in to have a new eprom blow for new device codes), they don't offer the upgrade service for this Radio Shack model. Even though the little pins are right there on the remote. Looks like somebody hacked it. COOL.

Thanks again for that great off-topic link.

#27475 - 01/03/2001 00:42 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: jimhogan]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Hello

If all talk about the same 'one-for-all' remotes, it is possible to upgrade some of them directly with your pcsound card and a webbrowser.

Just check out http://www.oneforall-int.com/index.html

Don't think every remotcontroll supports it, but worth a try...

TommyE

#27476 - 01/03/2001 09:26 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

The remote itself is actually quite programmable to begin with. It's essentially one of the "One-For-All" remotes (a "Cinema 7" I believe) with the Radio Shack logo silkscreened onto it.

I've got one controlling all of my gear in my Home theater. It's the same guts as a Cinema 7, but in a better caseing with RS on it. It's a damn good remote. My wife uses it without a problem, whereas I had a problem getting her to use the touchscreen remotes...

To the original poster, It advertises that it has 4 learning buttons. In reality, I think there are 4 buttons on it that CAN'T be programmed. The rest are fair game.

http://www.remotecentral.com has a ton of info on this remote.

It is not upgradable except via the pinout (no phone upgrading), but given that it can do learning, I haven't found a need to upgrade it.

#27477 - 01/03/2001 10:33 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It is not upgradable except via the pinout (no phone upgrading), but given that it can do learning, I haven't found a need to upgrade it.

Ah, but that's where the hack page comes in. See, because it's not upgradeable, if you get a new device that's not in its ROM (can anyone say "Rio Remote"?), you're SOL. The hack information allows for you to upgrade the remote yourself and add new codes that it didn't have before.

In my case, I've got a particular device that it can't talk to, and I'm hoping the hack can help me.

#27478 - 01/03/2001 10:39 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

Ah, but that's where the hack page comes in. See, because it's not upgradeable, if you get a new device that's not in its ROM (can anyone say "Rio Remote"?), you're SOL. The hack information allows for you to upgrade the remote yourself and add new codes that it didn't have before.

In my case, I've got a particular device that it can't talk to, and I'm hoping the hack can help me.

But if you HAVE the remote, you can program the RS remote FROM that remote, it learns the codes. I've done it for my dishplayer, TIVO, amps and EMPEG. Unless you've just completely filled the memory on it, it can still learn the codes without needing to be upgraded. If you have a device that it can't learn from, I doubt that the upgraded database is going to help you, as it's probably running on the wrong Freq (for example, Kenwood used to run a 'hot' IR freq for some of their home gear. I was stupid enough to buy it, and I'm stuck with that remote. My Marantz won't learn from it, the RS won't, and the Pronto I borrowed wouldn't deal either.)

#27479 - 01/03/2001 10:50 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

But if you HAVE the remote, you can program the RS remote FROM that remote, it learns the codes.

Heh. You're assuming that I have the original remote for the device in question. I don't. That's the problem. But even if I did have the original remote, there wouldn't be enough memory in the RS remote to learn every single button code. Its learning memory is fairly limited, it's meant just to learn a few commands, not an entire remote's worth (number keys and all, mind you).

In my case, the device is an old Uniden C-band satellite receiver. Replacement remotes are really hard to find for it. I'm still not sure if that hack page is going to give me the answers I seek, but I'm working on it.

#27480 - 01/03/2001 10:56 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: tfabris]
synergy
enthusiast

Yeah... That would be a problem then.

In regards to the amount of memory on the RS remote, I was pleasantly suprised. I've fully programmed my Pioneer DVD changer remote into it (codes exist now, didn't look for them, so learning), TiVo (had to learn, no codes), dishplayer (learning, no codes) and the Kenwood Empeg remote.

I've yet to run out of memory (numbers and all :) )

But you are correct. It's a b*tch to program them if you don't have the original remote. My German Shepard taught me that one when she was a pup...

#27481 - 01/03/2001 11:16 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
If the remote can be hacked the way I'm thinking you guys can, visit that remotecentral.com site. It has hex codes for alot of operations for alot of equipment.

If you don't hack on it using those codes, then I don't know!

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#27482 - 02/03/2001 11:36 Re: Programmable Remote Tangent [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Tony,

Once I found the hack page, I subscribed (almost inadverdently) by e-mail to the JP1 yahoo/e-groups. I can not believe how much traffic is generated by a list devoted to a $30 remote (I saw your posts there!). From the looks of a few recent posts, it looks like there a whole section of reserved, unused EEPROM memory that can be tapped by the hack box. Good luck with your satellite dish remote. I'm glad this was helpful.

Jim