Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#275821 - 09/02/2006 07:30 Mac mini wireless
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
When I purchases my mac mini I don't think I got the wireless option. Now I want to connect it to a linksys wireless router in a mixed environment. How do I add wireless to the mac mini and is it possible to connect it to the linksys wireless router in a mixed windows environment?

#275822 - 09/02/2006 15:39 Re: Mac mini wireless [Re: blitz]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If you live near an Apple Store, take it to them and they'll install the wireless/bluetooth option for you for $105 (when I did it) in a few hours. I think that's your best option.

Otherwise, you should be able to get a USB-attached wireless interface. Finding one that supports the Mac might be a difficult proposition. Make sure you do research to make sure that the manufacturer supports the Mac before you buy one. I can't find one immediately.

The other option is an Ethernet-to-WiFi bridge. This would plug into your Mac's ethernet port and turn it into a WiFi port. This shouldn't require Mac-specific drivers, but I'd doublecheck on that first.

#275823 - 09/02/2006 18:09 Re: Mac mini wireless [Re: blitz]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
and is it possible to connect it to the linksys wireless router in a mixed windows environment

802.11 wireless is a standard that has no platform dependancy. So the router won't care either way if a Windows and Mac are connected to it, or even a PDA, or game device. The only issue usually is what encryption standards each platform can support. The Mac will have no issues with this, as it supports WEP, WPA and WPA2 just fine.

#275824 - 10/02/2006 00:06 Re: Mac mini wireless [Re: wfaulk]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
Quote:
they'll install the wireless/bluetooth option for you for $105 (when I did it) in a few hours.

That sounds like it is the easiest. Thanks for your help.