Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#276285 - 21/02/2006 22:20 Dyson vacuum question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Can anybody tell me precisely what the differences are between the DC07 series and the DC14 series Dyson vacuum cleaners?

I'm not talking about the various sub-modeling, i.e., Dyson Animal, Dyson All Floor, Dyson Intergalactic Star Swallower or whatever. Those just refer to what accessories come bundled with the basic unit.

I want to know how a base model DC07 differs from the DC14. I couldn't see any differences in the specifications when I perused the Dyson website.

The reason I ask... Factory refurbished DC07s with warranty are for sale on eBay for $250--$270, lots of them. Example: Here (he's got 20 of 'em.)

Would I be nuts to go this route instead of spending $500-$600 for a new DC14?

tanstaafl.

#276286 - 21/02/2006 22:48 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
http://www.witvac.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=6

Amazon usually has better prices than the linked ebay auction when you consider shipping and everything. IODISCNT should get you 10% off.

Matthew

#276287 - 21/02/2006 23:04 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I didn't see the canister model listed on the web site. I was happy with mine with berber carpet but not plush. With all of the kitties the turbo head is constantly quitting and I have to pull hair out of it every room I clean.

I believe that the DC14 comes with features that the DC07 doesn't like the telescope reach wand. I would recommend getting the mini turbine head. It comes in handy for many things around the house. I wish now that I had gotten the upright model.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#276288 - 22/02/2006 00:25 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: Laura]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I believe that the DC14 comes with features that the DC07 doesn't like the telescope reach wand.

You are zeroing in on it, I think -- but the differences between the two are more subtle than I can discern from watching the flash animations on their website. Oh, wait -- it looks like they used part of the DC14 animation in the DC07 flash, makes it a bit misleading. I think it boils down to this: The DC14 has a longer metal wand tucked into the hose than does the DC07. They both claim to extend to 17 feet, however. If that is the case, I would prefer the DC07. That long wand is actually somewhat awkward to use. I know this because...

I borrowed a Dyson DC14 last weekend, and it was astonishing. I literally filled one of those plastic grocery bags with stuff that my regular vacuum cleaner had left behind in the carpet. Had to empty the Dyson twice by the time the job was done. Difficult to use on stairs, though, because the long extension wand made it difficult to get the attachment angled properly on the stair tread -- had to stand back/down about six stairs and hold it up high to make proper contact.

tanstaafl.

#276289 - 22/02/2006 07:44 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I don't know what tanstaafl's home situation is, but our take on our Dyson would be: Works great, better than any predecessor, but you don't realise how heavy and ungainly it is until you start lumping it up and down stairs.

#276290 - 22/02/2006 09:22 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

It is amazing how much more they pickup, I empty mine a few times every time I vacuum. If I could afford another one, I would keep the canister in the basement and use an upright on the main floor.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#276291 - 22/02/2006 12:09 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Redrum
old hand

The newer upright model has a different type of wand (telescopic) and larger internal tubing (from what I could tell). It also looks to have slightly less suction power. I would imagine this is because of the larger tubing flowing more air at a lower speed.

I could not justify the expense and didn't see a big difference so I bought the older model and am happy with it. However it did seem to not like pine needles. Around Christmas time pine needles from the Christmas tree seem to get stuck in it constantly. I imagine that's where the bigger tubing would have helped. However it is easy to take apart if it plugs up.

#276292 - 22/02/2006 15:08 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Here is the link to Amazon.com. Refurbished for $269. If they offer you the free trial of Amazon Prime, do it! I signed up in December and got free 2nd day shipping on all orders for 3 months. Helped with Christmas orders. I set it to not auto-renew after the free months, so it cost me nothing. It was really great for ordering one-off items like a spare printer cartidge. Normally, on stuff like that, they have good prices, but the shipping makes it not worth it (unless you order over $25). With Amazon Prime, you get free 2nd day shipping on ALL orders. Amazon is good for returns too. Good luck on eBay.

EDIT: The Amazon Prime only works for stuff sold directly through Amazon. 3rd party sellers don't apply. Same goes for easy returns.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (22/02/2006 15:11)

#276293 - 22/02/2006 15:34 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: matthew_k]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

http://www.witvac.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=6

Excellent! That is exactly the comparison information I was looking for!

I like the usability features of the DC07, but the performance of the DC14 seems better. It's all irrelevant, however, because SWMBO has her heart set on the DC15, which, to be honest, combines most of the virtues and few of the vices of the '07 and '14 models.

No doubt I'm repeating what has been said many times before... but if any of you haven't tried one of these vacuums, you really owe it to yourself to do so. You will be astonished at how much of what your old vacuum left behind that the Dyson collects.

tanstaafl.

#276294 - 22/02/2006 16:06 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
SWMBO

The plot thickens.

#276295 - 22/02/2006 16:30 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
The plot thickens.

Um, not really...

#276296 - 23/02/2006 08:02 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: Redrum]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I used to have a DC01 and now have whatever the latest upright is. Both seem to cope very well with pine needles, in fact the kids enjoy sweeping up vast tracts of needle strewn carpet so much we give the tree a good shake before taking it down
The best bit is the wonderful pine smell that stays the next 3 or 4 times the Dyson is used.

Dyson - I wouldn't use anything else again...so much better than the competition.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#276297 - 23/02/2006 12:44 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: frog51]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
It's a shame they're not available in Canada yet. Would-be buyers have to go the eBay route or do a manual border crossing to pick them up from the US. Which brings us to our other shame - the US yanked the DC11 last year, the only model of the cylinder range they carried. Now it's all uprights.

I'm pretty sure that cylinder vaccuum models sell in decent numbers compared to uprights in Canada - I suppose the market isn't the same in the US.

We're happy with the DC11 we have. And instead of keeping it on the coffee table to show it off to visitors, I picked up the very cool "Doing a Dyson" book for that purpose instead (had to get that from the UK).

Bruno

#276298 - 04/03/2006 14:41 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

I did a bad, bad thing on the way home from work last night, I stopped into Sears 10 minutes before they closed and bought a DC14 complete that was on sale with the guarantee that I could bring it back if it didn't pickup any better than the canister. It picked up about a cup more kitty litter than the canister did and also made the carpets look more just vacuumed so I guess I'll be keeping it and selling off some empeg extras to pay for it

MKI #017/90

whatever

#276299 - 05/03/2006 08:03 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: Laura]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

bought a DC14 complete that was on sale

If you don't mind my asking... what was the sale price?

I'm looking at all those factory refurbished $259 DC07s on eBay. I played with a DC15 at Sears, found the articulated Ball chassis to be awkward, although in fairness I have read customer reviews that said the same thing, but once they got used to it they liked it.

The DC07 has more suction and more bin capacity than the DC14, but has 50% less centrifugal force separating the dirt from the air (will that require more frequent cleaning of the "cyclone" portion?), and the '07 lacks a few convenience features (it's more difficult to clean the HEPA filter, attachments aren't as accessible) as well. But at about half the price of a DC14, it is tempting.

tanstaafl.

#276300 - 05/03/2006 11:47 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

I paid $499 for it. The DC07 has a smaller HEPA filter and like you said, the attachments are harder to use. I think you have to turn it over to put the hose on. The DC14 Complete is only available at Sears according to the Dyson website. The refurbished vacuums only have a 6 month warranty where the new ones have a 2 year. I did have to clean gobs of hair off of the brushes after vacuuming the whole house, but it didn't clog the brushes down the way it does on the canister.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#276301 - 06/03/2006 13:26 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: hybrid8]
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Quote:
It's a shame they're not available in Canada yet.

I noticed in a Costco Magazine the other day that they are available in selected warehouses now... and I just noticed this at FutureShop.

Rene

P.S. We just bought our Bissel 2 weeks ago... it sucks pretty good and was only half the price.

#276302 - 06/03/2006 13:41 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: ShadowMan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Wow, that's interesting. I imagine it must be a case of either chain bringing stock up from their US parents. Surprising that the Dyson shows up a FutureShop and not Bestbuy first however (the former being owned by the latter). The prices are pretty much in line with US suggested retail as well. Though no DC15 to be seen on FutureShop's site.

EDIT: Looks like they do have a Canadian site. The awkwardly-named http://www.dysoncanada.ca I missed it the first time because it's way at the bottom of the global sites list. Only the two mentioned models listed under the products section. The site makes me feel like I'm living in a third-world country. Instead of the second-world.

Thanks for the info.
Bruno

Edited by hybrid8 (06/03/2006 21:44)

#276303 - 07/03/2006 02:48 Re: Dyson vacuum question [Re: ShadowMan]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
I noticed in a Costco Magazine the other day that they are available in selected warehouses now...

I saw the DC14 kit in my local (US) Costco the other day. I don't remember if it's the "Complete" kit or some other version, but I do remember the price was something like $489.