Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27714 - 06/03/2001 04:01 (newbie post) Samba on Empeg?
dpeilow
new poster

Hi,
I haven't bought a player yet but I was wondernig if the player could run Samba. I was thinking of using a wireless ethernet link to talk to the car outside/in the garage over the network, and load music on through windows networking. Are both of these possible (can you get to the port when the player is in the cradle for example?) I presume that as the machine runs Linux, I could put Samba on it, or does the supplied software do somethink special to the database?

Regards,
Dave

#27715 - 06/03/2001 05:51 Re: (newbie post) Samba on Empeg? [Re: dpeilow]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
You *can* run samba on it, others have. Try a search for samba.

However, you can't put music on the unit like this as it won't update the database files. emplode will work fine over a wireless link, though, so you don't need samba for that.

Hugo

#27716 - 06/03/2001 06:05 Re: (newbie post) Samba on Empeg? [Re: altman]
dpeilow
new poster

Thanks,
I just had a look through the board. Should've done that first! What would be nice is if future releases have wireless ethernet hardware built in, with an output for an antenna.

I was wondering about Samba because I would like to transfer files from my Lansonic Hifi mp3 player directly to the unit. That would be cool.

#27717 - 16/03/2001 23:39 Re: (newbie post) Samba on Empeg? [Re: dpeilow]
WilLyons
new poster

As for the wireless networking built in, I expect it would be extremely unlikely as the hardware for that is a bit expensive, and there are quite a few people who wouldn't use it (for instance if you have underground parking in an apartment building). However, you can get something like Apple's Airport base station, get the power from your car and plug the ethernet cable into empeg. Shouldn't be much more to it than that from what I've seen elsewhere ;)

~Wil