Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#279665 - 17/04/2006 18:04 Programmable keyboard for Mac laptop
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Part of SWMBO's job entails repetitive typing filling out forms on a Macintosh laptop computer.

After seeing how my Gateway AnyKey programmable keyboard works, where I can store macros and recall them with a single keystroke, she would like the same functionality, using an external USB keyboard.

I know nothing of Macintosh computers, especially laptops. Does the Macintosh require some special keyboard, or will any USB keyboard work? How about a PS2 keyboard run through a USB adapter (if there is such a thing)?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a programmable keyboard that can connect to a Macintosh laotop through the USB port?

tanstaafl.

#279666 - 17/04/2006 18:15 Re: Programmable keyboard for Mac laptop [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Most any USB keyboards will work, in my experience, with obvious translations for the keys unique to both systems.

But a software-based solution (url=http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/]Keyboard Maestro[/url] seems popular) would probably work just as well and without having to cart an extra keyboard around.

#279667 - 17/04/2006 18:25 Re: Programmable keyboard for Mac laptop [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
How about a PS2 keyboard run through a USB adapter (if there is such a thing)?

Yes, there are lots of such things, and they are (1) cheap, and (2) compatible with OSX and OS9. I have a couple of "USB notebook docking stations" here with built-in PS/2 sockets, and those work with my G3 box. But just plain USB-->PS2 dongles are also in many shops now.

Cheers