Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#283073 - 12/06/2006 19:31 Does HDMI upcoverting actually look good?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Does anyone have a dvd player that has HDMI upcoverting or a receiver that has it? I was wondering if it actually makes a difference (I am debating on whether I should buy a cheaper receiver without HDMI or get one that has it.)

#283074 - 12/06/2006 19:53 Re: Does HDMI upcoverting actually look good? [Re: burdell1]
eliceo
enthusiast

It really depends on the player. I have a panasonic s77 that I think looks way better than any other dvd player I have used. Im no HD expert though.

#283075 - 12/06/2006 20:02 Re: Does HDMI upcoverting actually look good? [Re: burdell1]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
The question you're asking is actually "is the scaling chip in the upconverting dvd player I'm considering buying better than the scaling chip in my tv"? Of course, when asked this way, it becomes a more dificult question to answer that depends on both the DVD player and the display device. The other lesser issue is digital vs analog transmission of the signal, which isn't nearly as important as most people think. (Now, on the other hand, for computer displays I'm a huge fan of DVI, and always point out the little crawlies to non interested bystanders when stuck at an analog lcd)

From personal experience, the converter in my samsung HD850 (model number from memory) is leaps and bounds above the converter in my 24" dell monitor. The 850 has the added benefit of being a few remote presses away from turning off hdcp and outputting HD on the component outputs.

Matthew

#283076 - 12/06/2006 20:10 Re: Does HDMI upcoverting actually look good? [Re: burdell1]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
As to the receiver question, I'd say get one with it, unless the cost difference is a big issue. I hate (but am capable of) the TV/Receiver input matching game. I know to play with the receiver until I get sound, then play with the TV until I get a picture. Most people won't figure this out, and you have to explain how to set up various activities. A Harmony remote can help here, but it's not very elegant. Having a receiver capable of converting everything to the one hi-def output would be great from a convenience standpoint, but not from a quality standpoint.

Matthew

#283077 - 13/06/2006 01:02 Re: Does HDMI upcoverting actually look good? [Re: matthew_k]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Maybe I should post this in a separate thread, but are there many receivers that have RDS built in? I haven't seen many.....