Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#287026 - 21/09/2006 11:33 Help needed from deutscher sprecher
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

I have been trying, in vain, to acquire a particular rather large model aircraft in the UK. It's made by the German company Jamara, and the best price I have so far seen is here. No model supplier in the UK seems to be able to get it, so I'll have to order it directly. This shouldn't be a problem, and the 13 euro shipping charge is ok.

What I need help in is working out how long it would take to get it. I think their website is trying to tell me it's available quite quickly, but it would be nice to know for sure. Can anyone in germany have a look and tell me what it actually says?

pca

#287027 - 21/09/2006 12:14 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
yep, 'quite quickly'

http://odge.info/german-english/kurzfristig.html

'German-English translations for "kurzfristig":

short-dated
short term'
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#287028 - 21/09/2006 14:05 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: Schido]
pca
old hand

Thanks. I've ordered one, so we'll see how kurzfristig it is

pca

#287029 - 17/10/2006 10:06 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
pca
old hand

Kurzfristig appears to mean "Around 3 weeks or so, perhaps" in english. The plane turned up just now in a very dented box, but luckily appears to be intact. However, I have one more problem; The manual, what there is of it (all 3 pages) is of course in german. My ability to read same, although not completely non-existent, doesn't stretch far enough I can work out most of the details from looking at the parts, but there are a few points I'd like to be sure of, as they're fairly structural ("You fool, that's a load-bearing decal").

Anyone here able to translate this into something I can understand properly? And willing to do so?

Google language tools makes a very amusing rendition of the text, I'm not sure whether it's more or less useful (see attached)

pca

Attachments
288932-transit.txt (229 downloads)

Edited by pca (17/10/2006 11:25)

#287030 - 17/10/2006 16:04 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
You fool, that's a load-bearing decal

ROFL

#287031 - 17/10/2006 17:53 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Now is that a very big model plane or a very tiny girl ?

Cheers

Cris

#287032 - 17/10/2006 23:19 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: Cris]
pca
old hand

Quite large plane. Nearly a 7 foot wingspan.

pca

#287033 - 18/10/2006 03:35 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
10% larger and you might as well have gone to Cessna, at least the manual would be in English!

#287034 - 18/10/2006 04:16 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: boxer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

ROFL

#287035 - 05/02/2007 18:58 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
pca
old hand

Well, the weather over the weekend was fantastic, very light breeze and wall to wall sunshine, so I went flying.

I have flown the big 'un exactly twice since I built it, the first time was a very short flight though. It lasted about 5 seconds and ended upside down in the mud, luckily with no real damage. It turns out that the manual has a completely wrong valus for the center of gravity of the plane, putting it far to far back. I was a little dubious about it at the time, but my common sense was overridden by the feeling of "well, they're germans, they must know what they're talking about"

After that, I worked out the correct COG from first principles, and the second flight went very well. I carefully arranged to be the only one there so if it went pear-shaped again I could hide my ignominy from the public. It took off fine, gained height alarmingly rapidly, and I spent the next 20 minutes trying to get it back down safely!

After that the weather was horrible for pretty much all of december and january, so last weekend was the first time I've had to try again. I have to say, once you've managed to set things up correctly, that this model really flies very nicely. Once I've really got to grips with it and have made all the mods to fit the autopilot, medium format camera, stereo video cameras, stereo digital cameras, etc, it should produce some amazing photos. This will add up to about 1.8kg of payload, which it should handle easily.

The thing is a little awe-inspiring, actually. It's the biggest model I've ever flown, with better than a 2m wingspan, and it's really quite chunky as well. Very light though, at around 3kg ready to fly. The thing is right on the borders of turning into a real light aircraft from the aerodynamic standpoint, and flying it is quite different from most of the smaller ones. The takeoff looks particularly realistic compared to smaller models, none of this 'roll ten feet and go vertical' nonsense

That said it gets off the ground pretty fast. It's got loads of lift and I definitely overspecced the power system. It takes off at around half throttle, and flies around quite happily at less than 1/3 throttle. Full power is a bit frightening, the motor/prop/battery combination is capable of about 700 watts (more or less one horsepower) and this will make it fly at about 90MPH. It climbs VERY fast like this. However, since the power curve is more or less exponential, 1/3 throttle is less than 100 watts, much more efficient than any of my other models from a watts per kg viewpoint.

The motor is actually capable of over 1kw output power, which would be serious overkill. Impressive when you look at it, it's only about 45mm in diameter and about the same in length. Radio control models are certainly pretty impressive nowadays! It's quite amusing to tell someone you fly an electric model airplane, then show them something that could carry off a small child when they're picturing a 2 foot long toy

I should try fitting some sort of MP3 player inside it (the guts of an empeg would easily fit), and a powerful but light amplifier and speaker. I could have it playing Wagner while doing low flybys, like in battefield vietnam! I have actually been considering the possibility of making a 3-phase brushless motor controller that would superimpose MP3 audio on the switching waveform, so the motor would play tunes during operation

pca

#287036 - 05/02/2007 20:45 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hee. And you wouldn't need much fidelity out of the motor to make "Ride of the Valkyries" legible.

:-)

#287037 - 05/02/2007 20:53 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: tfabris]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
If I heard "Ride of the Valkyries" and looked up to see a plane coming right at me I would think I was about to get strafed!

And I would so do just that to my friends!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#287038 - 06/02/2007 21:08 Re: Help needed from deutscher sprecher [Re: pca]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I have actually been considering the possibility of making a 3-phase brushless motor controller that would superimpose MP3 audio on the switching waveform, so the motor would play tunes during operation

I eagerly await the video!