Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#287125 - 25/09/2006 19:12 Window Tinting (Around Boulder/Denver?)
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I've recently moved to the Denver/Boulder area and one thing I've noticed coming from Ohio is that it's freakin' BRIGHT out here. I need to get my windows tinted in 2 cars (Volvo and Subaru) anything to look out for? Anyone ever had that done in this area?

As an aside, it would be cool to get a ski trip going out here sometime this winter, I'm looking at the mountains now and they are covered above 10k. I've heard this is good news for the snow forecast.

#287126 - 25/09/2006 19:46 Re: Window Tinting (Around Boulder/Denver?) [Re: cushman]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
The only tinting shops I know are in Aurora, which is on the East side of Denver... you could probably find something closer to you, but in general I would agree that tinting is almost a must in the Denver Metro Area.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

#287127 - 26/09/2006 14:24 Re: Window Tinting (Around Boulder/Denver?) [Re: webroach]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Thanks, I'm probably going to contact Clear Choice in Boulder, they have some good reviews online, but some look like they are planted. Any suggestions on the quality of tint or type (30%, 50%)? I can't decide on which to get! I guess I'll have to go to the shop and look at some examples.

Anytime you're up north, let me know - we can grab a beer.

#287128 - 26/09/2006 14:34 Re: Window Tinting (Around Boulder/Denver?) [Re: cushman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Always go with the metallized film, not the dyed film. Metallized does not mean "mirrored" (although it can be). It just means that the light reduction is done through metal particles instead of by a dye. That means that the light level will simply be reduced, not colored some other way.

The only other thing I can think of is that states usually have maximum tint levels that are acceptable. They may vary by car, and even by which window. The fines aren't usually anything to worry about, but it's often something that can prevent you from passing your inspection. It would suck to get the tints and then have to strip them off a year later (or find a less-than-legal inspector). I imagine that your tinter would tell you that, but I'd look first just in case, and if he doesn't tell you, I'd go elsewhere.

#287129 - 26/09/2006 20:36 Re: Window Tinting (Around Boulder/Denver?) [Re: wfaulk]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Unless of course you want you radar detector to work to its full capacity...V1 link

Apparently ceramic tinted films have the heat reflecting/long life qualities of metal but don't interfere with EM signals.

Disclaimer: I do not have tint myself, I was just interested and passed on what seem to be general consensus after a quick googling of radar & tint.

-Zeke