Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#288388 - 19/10/2006 08:42 When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think?
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/18/military_commissions_a_go/

Quote:
The new law, called the Military Commissions Act of 2006, will allow rough treatment, so long as the President designates a practice not to be torture. But he is permitted to "interpret" international law forbidding torture to suit himself

The government, not the courts, will now be deciding what is cruel and inhumane treatment. Only monstrous abuse, reaching the level of a war crime, such as rape, mutilation, and the like, are expressly forbidden. And prisoners will not be granted legal counsel during interrogations

Unbelieveable.

#288389 - 19/10/2006 10:43 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Whoa. Thats scary.

#288390 - 19/10/2006 11:09 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Unbelievable? Outrageous, egregious and terrible yes, unbelievable - considering all GWB's done so far, no.

-Zeke

#288391 - 19/10/2006 11:34 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
And what are the people of the USA doing about it?

It's a "law", so it doesn't just "disappear"when Dubya leaves office, ya know.

What are YOU doing about it?

#288392 - 19/10/2006 11:56 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Apalling.

#288393 - 19/10/2006 11:57 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
And this guy holds the fate of nations in his hands... eeeeek
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#288394 - 19/10/2006 12:12 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
Redrum
old hand

Quote:

It's a "law", so it doesn't just "disappear"when Dubya leaves office, ya know.

What are YOU doing about it?

Since you asked, nothing. The USA isn’t cutting off the heads of innocent people, or even guilty people, yet.

I wish there was such a thing as unbiased reporting.

#288395 - 19/10/2006 12:54 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
The USA isn’t cutting off the heads of innocent people, or even guilty people, yet.

Yet...
(still gassing, electricuting or injecting the odd one though )

Quote:

http://www.reuters.com

Edited by furtive (19/10/2006 12:55)

#288396 - 19/10/2006 14:00 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Since you asked, nothing. The USA isn’t cutting off the heads of innocent people, or even guilty people, yet.

Oh. So anything short of summary execution is okay now?

At least in the old days, the USA had to ship innocent victims from close allies to countries like Syria for the rough treatment (as with this guy).

Now it's legal to do at home, too. Does anyone down there even give a sh*t about the descent into international pariah these days? Hello.. ?

Edited by mlord (19/10/2006 14:01)

#288397 - 19/10/2006 14:25 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
mlord
carpal tunnel

#288398 - 19/10/2006 14:57 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I think he nailed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxmPjB0WSs

- Jon

#288399 - 19/10/2006 15:50 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.reuters.com

...and yet I find no mention of this story there, nor do I see an easy 'search' field to help find anything. Hmm.
edit: aha! found it- next to the stock lookup. I was confused.

It doesn't seem to be a very hot topic at WikiNews, either. Frustrating.

edit: nevermind what I said about wikipedia/wikinews. I need more coffee this morning.

Edited by Robotic (19/10/2006 16:17)

#288400 - 19/10/2006 16:00 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: jbauer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think he nailed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxmPjB0WSs

- Jon

Whew! I guess at least one American still has his wits. How about the rest?

#288401 - 19/10/2006 16:02 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I'm doing just like I did the past two times - voting for someone else.

-Zeke

#288402 - 19/10/2006 16:02 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Then, by all means, tell us the real, unvarnished truth about the Military Commissions Act. Or, if that's too much work, I'll give you my version of the story, and you tell me where I'm being misled by the "liberal media."

Every legal analysis I've read of it, from left, right, and center, acknowledges that the act specifically entrusts the Executive Branch to decide who is an enemy combatant, and allows detainment of those enemy combatants without charges being brought aganst them, while giving them no ability to petition the courts to challenge their detention (via the suspension of habeas corps.) There is no specific exemption for U.S. citizens, either, though the Hamdi Supreme Court decision would presumably give citizens some kind of challenge.

So, where am I wrong?

#288403 - 19/10/2006 16:36 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: tonyc]
Redrum
old hand

Quote:
Quote:

Then, by all means, tell us the real, unvarnished truth about the Military Commissions Act. Or, if that's too much work, I'll give you my version of the story, and you tell me where I'm being misled by the "liberal media."

Every legal analysis I've read of it, from left, right, and center, acknowledges that the act specifically entrusts the Executive Branch to decide who is an enemy combatant, and allows detainment of those enemy combatants without charges being brought aganst them, while giving them no ability to petition the courts to challenge their detention (via the suspension of habeas corps.) There is no specific exemption for U.S. citizens, either, though the Hamdi Supreme Court decision would presumably give citizens some kind of challenge.

So, where am I wrong?

You’re wrong in the fact that you jumped to the conclusion I'm just talking about the "liberal media." While I agree that most media slants that way it seems like no one can just report the facts with out a spin.

I did like the “Kangaroo Court” comment, talk about a spin.

#288404 - 19/10/2006 17:02 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Nice dodge of the question. A future w?

#288405 - 19/10/2006 17:19 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
Redrum
old hand

Quote:
Nice dodge of the Aquestion. A future w?

As he states "if that's too much work," .. and yes it is. I’m just one of the USA citizens that have lost their wits. Hey if someone doesn’t agree with you their stupid right?

#288406 - 19/10/2006 17:33 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

There is. In this matter, it's known as The (USA) Military Commissions Act of 2006, which is the raw unadultered truth of the story.

Quote:

As he states "if that's too much work," .. and yes it is.

Well, therefore you are relying upon others to filter it through their eyes and present you with what they read from it.

#288407 - 19/10/2006 17:36 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

A thoroughbred you may be, but here is a USA government link to the actual text.

Edited by mlord (19/10/2006 17:37)

#288408 - 20/10/2006 02:50 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:

Honestly, what CAN we do about it?? I can think of only one thing: violently revolt. There is absolutely no other way to stop a rampant government than to forcefully remove it from power. Oh wait, they've got the military. Scratch that idea.

Again I say, democracy is a joke. Pushing one button every four years is not "rule by the people". Citizens should have the right to approve or deny these individual Acts of dictatorship by vote, not by electing a "representative" who does whatever is best for their ego, their wallet, and their Napoleon Complex.

I'm fully convinced that "terrorism" (in America) is a government tool to give themselves more power (and little moustaches) and manipulate the citizens with fear. The day I'm forced to do anything I strongly disagree with in the name of "anti-terrorism" is the day I strongly reconsider my American citizenship (no, I don't mind airport security, but they'll keep increasing the restrictions gradually). American "terrorism" was accurately predicted in '1984'; the bombs which were occasionally dropped on residential areas, fired by "the enemy", furthering the need to "fight the enemy".

The citizens of America have one saving grace when pondering how to stop paying taxes to support a dictatorship and take back their country: There are more of us then there are of them. So, organize and "do the right thing". Nah, it's easier to go to work then come home and watch TV. Blinded by The American Way.

#288409 - 20/10/2006 03:04 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: FireFox31]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, what CAN we do about it??

Write your Representative rather than us? Maybe your Senator, as well?

That's the peaceful way. One or two, or twenty, no big deal. More than a hundred, could have an impact.

Cheers

#288410 - 20/10/2006 06:33 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: FireFox31]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I can think of only one thing: violently revolt. There is absolutely no other way to stop a rampant government than to forcefully remove it from power.

Can't do that cause the liberals banned all the bad ass guns over the last 30 years. Everyone, including many of you here, laughed at the notion of a violent revolt to stop an out-of-control government. Looks like y'all shot yourselves in the foot on that one!

Quote:
Again I say, democracy is a joke. Pushing one button every four years is not "rule by the people". Citizens should have the right to approve or deny these individual Acts of dictatorship by vote, not by electing a "representative" who does whatever is best for their ego, their wallet, and their Napoleon Complex.

Our government never was a democracy. It's a republic.

#288411 - 20/10/2006 09:47 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: ]
Redrum
old hand

Quote:

Can't do that cause the liberals banned all the bad ass guns over the last 30 years. Everyone, including many of you here, laughed at the notion of a violent revolt to stop an out-of-control government. Looks like y'all shot yourselves in the foot on that one!
vernment never was a democracy. It's a republic.

Yea, I was thinking of that as well. Why are the liberals getting so bent (we'll maybe just foreign liberals) over the passing of a law to define the treatment of prisoners of war, which they think will take away their liberties. While they embrace gun laws that directly contradict the constitution and certainly take away liberties?

#288412 - 20/10/2006 12:10 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: ]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Back in 1776, the state of the art in weapons technology was the flintlock rifle and the cannon. Today, it's the Abrams battle tank and the ICBM-delivered nuclear warhead. The lack of a ban on fully automatic weapons really isn't going to do you any good. Or are you suggesting that people should have tanks and missile silos at home?

#288413 - 20/10/2006 12:15 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Yea, I was thinking of that as well. Why are the liberals getting so bent (we'll maybe just foreign liberals)

Last I checked (and I *did* check), Keith Olbermann was born in New York, and has been an American citizen his entire life. I don't know if he's a liberal, though. But you just might want to look up that word as you go to actually read the text of w's "law".

-ml

#288414 - 20/10/2006 12:36 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Redrum]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Why are the liberals getting so bent (we'll maybe just foreign liberals) over the passing of a law to define the treatment of prisoners of war, which they think will take away their liberties. While they embrace gun laws that directly contradict the constitution and certainly take away liberties?

Here's an interesting question to consider:

Why is the civil liberty to carry guns the only one Republicans seem to care about while it's the only one Democrats don't seem to care about?

#288415 - 20/10/2006 12:46 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
I don't know if he's a liberal, though. But you just might want to look up that word as you go to actually read the text of w's "law".

I'd like to think that US conservatives fail to understand the meaning of political liberalism, but sometimes I do wonder. For the record, the politcal use of the word derives from the British Liberal Party, which originally determined to divert power from Crown to State. It went on to champion the causes of democracy, personal liberties and free global trade. Liberals were the original capitalists.

Anyone declaring themselves anti-liberal is literally stating their opposition to democratic process, personal freedoms and capitalism. Perhaps this is why so much of the world thinks America is full of facists!

Rob

#288416 - 20/10/2006 12:47 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't know if he's a liberal, though. But you just might want to look up that word ..

Here's what the Firefox Dictionary Tooltip extension gives:

Attachments
289170-liberal.gif (140 downloads)

#288417 - 20/10/2006 13:05 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Why is the civil liberty to carry guns the only one Republicans seem to care about while it's the only one Democrats don't seem to care about?

Because the right to bear arms is the right that guarantees and protects all other rights.

If they try to take away our right to free speech, then we can all exercise our right to bear arms and refuse to be told what to do by an oppressive government.

Did you know that it was illegal for Jews to own firearms in Nazi Germany?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >