Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#288448 - 23/10/2006 08:15 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: Neutrino]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
It would be interesting to see what history says 100 years from now. After all, history is defined tofit the times.

Real history, or American movie makers version of it?

#288449 - 23/10/2006 14:07 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: FireFox31]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
The United States is not, has never been, and will never be a democracy; it is a republic, as you say. If we actually allowed people to vote on individual laws and government business, you'd be longing for the "good ol' days" of "mustachioed" GWB/DC/KR. Polls clearly show that most Americans vehemently oppose at least 8 of the 10 Constitutional amendments known as the Bill of Rights. Government FOR the people would be great; government BY the people would seriously suck.

Quote:
Again I say, democracy is a joke. Pushing one button every four years is not "rule by the people". Citizens should have the right to approve or deny these individual Acts of dictatorship by vote, not by electing a "representative" who does whatever is best for their ego, their wallet, and their Napoleon Complex.

#288450 - 23/10/2006 14:08 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: furtive]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
I know that my only concepts of cap-T "Truth" and cap-H "History" is what I get from Hollywood.

And don't forget cartoons.

#288451 - 31/10/2006 13:48 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

British the most spied-on people in western world

Quote:
The Sunday Times
October 29, 2006

BRITISH people are now more spied upon by their political leaders than any other population in the free world, according to an official report.

The linkage of databases and surveillance systems mean people are now having their movements tracked, habits profiled and photograph taken hundreds of times a day. The findings, in a report compiled on behalf of Richard Thomas, the information commissioner, raised concerns that Britain is “waking up in a surveillance society”.

“They don’t know, for instance, that a record is kept of every internet site they visit. They don’t realise that when identity cards come in, there will be a record of their movements and every time they have engaged with any public service.”

The report, compiled by surveillance experts and academics, points out that a typical Briton will be caught on camera up to 300 times a day. Britain now has 4.2m public CCTV cameras, or one for every 14 people, more than any other country.

Other examples of surveillance highlighted by the report include the growing use of automatic number plate recognition to track people’s journeys and the long-term retention of logs detailing the websites people visit at home.

He cited an example of a schoolgirl whose playground banter resulted in her father being refused work because he had been classed as a suspected paedophile. “The little girl was overheard saying, ‘My dad bonked me last night’. A dinner lady heard this and reported it to the school authorities,” Thomas said. Social services discovered that the girl was referring to her father tapping her playfully on the head with an inflatable hammer. The file was closed, but five years later the father discovered he was still a suspected sex offender.

Do y'all feel safe enough yet over there?

#288452 - 31/10/2006 14:57 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: ]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
British the most spied-on people in western world

It is quite ridiculous. The last time I went to a bar in Leicester Sq they asked me for ID at the door. Sure, I showed them my driving licence. Then bouncer then took it from my hand and shoved it into a James Bond style wall mounted scanner which beeped and saved an image of it. I felt violated. I don't have a real reason to avoid my life being recorded, but the thought of having every single aspect of my evening saved on a hard drive somewhere soon to be incorporated into a giant government uber-database makes me uneasy. Plus, it is going to get worse.

My friend Jon has a good Blog Post on the same lines.

#288453 - 02/11/2006 11:28 Re: When is Bush going to grow the little moustache do you think? [Re: sein]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
The Sunday Times

Ahh, the News of the World Small Print Edition. Only good for wrapping chips in

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3