Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#28882 - 01/04/2001 23:49 Push and hold knob function
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'd like to see the push and hold function on the knob changed to something like cycling through info modes compaired to the existing behavior of acting like the bottom button.

#28883 - 02/04/2001 08:57 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The empeg folks are trying to decide what exactly the pushing-of-the-knob and holding-of-the-knob is going to do in the long run. Here/now might be a good place/time to start a list of possible suggestions.

#28884 - 02/04/2001 09:19 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The best one I have seen so far is this suggestion. Seemed to fall on deaf ears awhile back, but now that a release is coming, everyone's thinking about new features. Sounds like my job. :)

Here are some other ideas from the past that I found with a quick search. Some make sense to me, others don't.

Insert/Append

Turn on/off when in the car

Sound Settings

-Tony
MkII #554

#28885 - 02/04/2001 17:04 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: tonyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Here are some other ideas from the past

My suggestion would be to push the volume button to pause the player, thus freeing up the top button so that it could always move you up one layer in the playlist hierarchy. I think this would make navigating the playlists (and other features) more consistent and logical, and would get rid of the annoyance of always having to return clear to the root of the playlist tree after starting a playlist.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#28886 - 03/04/2001 00:30 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: tfabris]
Wire

Loc: Jylland, Denmark
One word.

My empeg is screaming it every time it powers up.

CUSTOMIZATION.

It's things like your logo-editor and Frank's IR-translator that makes the empeg even more lovable than it already is (at least for me).

Whatever the guys at empeg decide, it's always better to have the option to change it. So whatever they decide on, it would be so nice to be able to map the keys to something else.

I do know that the player is a closed piece of software, but opening it a little bit wouldnt hurt. It could just be an option in the players configuration file.

Sort of a way of mapping "press volume key" to "bring up the equalizer" or "hold volume key" to "search for artist".

Just my $.02

Lars

#28887 - 03/04/2001 02:59 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: tonyc]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Hey, I like that idea ..... - oh it was mine.

I thought that the 'official' answer was that it was going to control, bass, loudness, etc....

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

#28888 - 04/04/2001 05:14 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
"would get rid of the annoyance of always having to return clear to the root of the playlist tree after starting a playlist"

I think a better solution to that is to have a "/" symbol appear in each playlist menu (similar to the musical note symbol) that navigates back to the root playlist. This combined with remembering which playlist you were in when you last selected play would be great.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#28889 - 04/04/2001 06:42 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: andy]
anti

Loc: BaWue, Germany, Europe
I thought about this for some time now and I think it should be something like "ALT".
That is: After pressing KNOB once all buttons have a different/second function.
e.g.:
DOWN -> go above last selected entry. (my playlist hierachie is 8 levels deep now, so it's kind of hard to switch from Madonna to Madness.)
UP -> User Menu. I really "need" this.
LEFT/RIGHT -> Cycle visual.

ciao
anti

--------------------
MKII 08000073 12GB BLUE

#28890 - 04/04/2001 10:19 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: Wire]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Agreed. This has been hashed over a few times... but i wanted to point back to this thread, something like the menu system i threw together would rock. The more something is customizable, the less people can complain about it not working the way they want =].

|| loren.cox ||

#28891 - 04/04/2001 20:05 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: drakino]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
I think a bottom button push should play a predefined recording at predefined volume level. Like a blood curdling scream at full volume. Good for those tense moments on the highway. Or may be Jack's famous "I'm not gonna hurt ya, I'm just gonna kill ya!"

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#28892 - 05/04/2001 11:00 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: Ezekiel]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I think a bottom button push should play a predefined recording at predefined volume level.
You know, that sounds like a good idea to implement with a PIN, since I don't have a knob to push (Mk1). Yeah...Find some short snippets from horror/shootemup movies & put them on short PINs, like 2,3, etc. Maybe even another button for the stun/kill label?
(Crank the Volume, windows down)KA-ZZZAP!! Ahhh, no more road rage.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#28893 - 05/04/2001 12:47 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: loren]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
The more something is customizable, the less people can complain about it not working the way they want =].

Wasn't UI supposed to have been written in Python or something like that originally, in order to be fully customizable?

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#28894 - 06/04/2001 14:43 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: Wire]
drakino
carpal tunnel

One word.

My empeg is screaming it every time it powers up.

CUSTOMIZATION.

I definitly agree with this. I'd love to map any function onto any button easially via emplode.

Now the player is closed to us right? But the main reason is the caching code in there, and empeg not wanting others to have it, for many good reasons. What about putting the caching/decoding stuff into a binary of it's own. Then you have the rest of the player (interface/visuals) written to another program that wraps around the caching/decoding binary. In theory, the interface/visual binary could also have it's source released. This allows for minor changes, or others to figure out how the hooks to the caching/decoding binary work to create their own interface.

I know it's lots of work, but would easially spark so many more possibilities then what currently exist.

#28895 - 06/04/2001 19:27 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: drakino]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I think a lot of us are really waiting for this to happen, where the Empeg is a closed-source but open-function platform. Where we don't necessarily need to have the player's source to customize it. It's a shame, because after peering through the kernel code, it's quite clear that there are some very talented programmers working on the Empeg's platform. But they seem to be focusing on delivering a stable and feature-filled platform, and focusing less on things like user customization. Because 1.1 is a totally new baseline, I think that we'll start to see these customization features appear in subsequent versions... Which makes me wonder why they don't just say "the Hell with it" and call it 2.0.

Anyway, as someone who develops software for a living, I can TOTALLY understand the dilemma. Sometimes, the customer has to hold off on new feature requests while the software gets stabilized and perfected. But once that happens, I'll be the first @$$hole customer waiting for all those new bells and whistles. :)

-Tony
MkII #554

#28896 - 07/04/2001 06:16 Re: Push and hold knob function [Re: bonzi]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It was, but they ran into threading problems with Python and had to give up on the idea.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...