Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289722 - 14/11/2006 01:12 FAQ modification?
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
This weekend, I added a second hard-drive to my Empeg, gaining me a measly 5 gigs (it was a drive from an old, dead laptop, so I said, heck, why not).

I tried following the FAQ for adding a new drive, and ran into problems quite quick. This, in particular. I tried using the latest version of jemplode, but it wouldn't let me apply an upgrade to the empeg (it would get to the point asking me to select an empeg unit, and then not allow me to choose anything from a blank drop-down list, and wouldn't allow me to continue without making a choice). After some searching, I ended up finding the instructions on doing a manual disk-build, which worked just peachy.

Perhaps this info could be added to the FAQ, since I see I'm not the first person to have this issue.

Of course, if this has been resolved, and the addition not needed, feel free to point me to the relevant documentation that I missed.

#289723 - 14/11/2006 02:02 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: canuckInOR]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Yep I had the same problem when I did an upgrade recently. Roger was kind enough to point out his so easy to follow even I could do it instructions for me.

Matt

#289724 - 14/11/2006 17:17 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't understand. Full instructions for upgrading the empeg's hard disks are already in the FAQ. Well, technically, it's an entire illustrated document of its own that is linked from the FAQ.

Manual build instructions are linked from within that document, although in theory you shouldn't need them these days now that Mark Lord has made available his special large-disk upgrader (also linked from within that document).

So I'm not sure what you're asking me to change in the FAQ...

#289725 - 14/11/2006 18:36 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Yes, that's the FAQ entry I was following -- I see the link to the manual process, now. I skipped over that section, because it's titled "Special note for large drives", and I most certainly wasn't dealing with a large drive.

The addition I'd like to see is a mention that folks trying to upgrade disks on Linux may need to follow the manual upgrade process, because applying the disk builder .upgrade file on Linux is known to be problematic (both upgclient and jEmplode(*) are flakey, leaving no way to actually apply the upgrade).

Had I known that, I would have gone manual from the start, instead of wasting an hour downloading things I ultimately couldn't use, and troubleshooting stuff that went wrong.

On a side note, the link to Mark's disk builder gives a 404.

(*) jEmplode won't find my empeg unless it booted fully. When the new disk is plugged in, instead of my old disk, I got a "no disk" error, and the empeg doesn't bring up the ethernet link. jEmplode never finds the empeg, and, consequently, can't be used to apply the disk builder .upgrade file.

#289726 - 14/11/2006 22:49 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Maybe Rogers instructions could be included in the FAQ ? When I did mine the links to his site were not working and like Canuck said the link to Marks builder does not work either.

Matt

#289727 - 14/11/2006 22:53 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Ah, right, the entire disk builder instruction set is geared towards windows. I see what you mean. I'll see what I can do when I get some time.

Just editing that section isn't enough, I'll need to do rewriting of several sections that assume Windows.

#289728 - 15/11/2006 17:53 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Cool beans! Thanks.

#289729 - 17/11/2006 04:14 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: msaeger]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Quote:
Maybe Rogers instructions could be included in the FAQ ? When I did mine the links to his site were not working and like Canuck said the link to Marks builder does not work either.

Try this link for the bigdrive thing...it only took me two hours to find it...but then, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

http://rtr.ca/bigdisk/builder_bigdisk.upgrade

#289730 - 17/11/2006 12:48 Re: FAQ modification? [Re: Ladmo]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:

Try this link for the bigdrive thing...it only took me two hours to find it...but then, I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

http://rtr.ca/bigdisk/builder_bigdisk.upgrade

Somebody ought to grab those and dump them onto RioCar.Org or something.