Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291512 - 16/12/2006 23:09 proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery)
DWallach
carpal tunnel

We're about to move, and one of the things that needs to go away is a UPS that died eight years ago. So far as I know, it's got a lead-acid battery. Google has been no help at identifying any sort of local battery disposal facility. Presumably, it's not good to just toss the thing in the trash. What's the proper way to deal with this thing?

#291513 - 16/12/2006 23:35 Re: proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery) [Re: DWallach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Check with the manufacturer. Even the replacement batteries in my off-brand (Oneac) UPS at work were requested back by the manufacturer. Sure, there's cost involved, but they'll know what to do with it.

#291514 - 17/12/2006 02:57 Re: proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery) [Re: FireFox31]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Call the city's garbage dept. Assuming they don't contract that out.

http://www.ci.manteca.ca.us/solidwaste/ Then in the sidebar click the Household Hazardous Waste link.

Not so useful if you don't live in Manteca. But you get the idea.

Edited by gbeer (17/12/2006 03:05)

#291515 - 17/12/2006 03:25 Re: proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery) [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
We're about to move, and one of the things that needs to go away is a UPS that died eight years ago. So far as I know, it's got a lead-acid battery. Google has been no help at identifying any sort of local battery disposal facility. Presumably, it's not good to just toss the thing in the trash. What's the proper way to deal with this thing?

If it's an APC brand UPS, then just buy a replacement battery -- they'll include a UPS (United Parcel Service) mailer for sending back the dead one.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (17/12/2006 04:10)

#291516 - 17/12/2006 04:00 Re: proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery) [Re: mlord]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
If it's an APC brand UPS, then just buy a replacement battery -- they'll include a UPS mailer for sending back the dead one.

Cheers

Yeah, my question was going to be whether the UPS is really dead or just needs a new battery.

I have purchased 3rd-party replacement batteries for several APC units and have had no problem disposing of old batteries. My tire shop was more than happy to add them to their pile for pickup. An Interstate Batteries truck picks them all up and they get paid a small sum for any SLA battery, I think.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#291517 - 17/12/2006 16:02 Re: proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery) [Re: jimhogan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The UPS was made by "Best", and was originally purchased in 1991 or 1992 (at the time, it was supposed to be one of the better UPS's out there). I used it through 1998, when I moved to Texas, plugged it in again, and it completely failed to work. While it may well be salvageable, I've since purchased a more modern UPS and no longer need this ancient thing.

(Apparently, Best has since been acquired by Eaton / Powerware. I suppose I could try giving them a call.)

EDIT: found this on the City of Houston web site:
Quote:
Lead-Acid -- Lead-acid batteries are recycled by numerous scrap metal businesses in the area and can be brought to the City of Houston's Consumer Recycling Center, located at 5815 SW Freeway, at Westpark.

#291518 - 18/12/2006 12:37 Re: proper disposal of an old UPS (w/ lead-acid battery) [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Heh. I have a dead Best UPS, too. Shorted it out while trying to change the battery. I've been meaning to learn enough about electronics to figure out what blew, but I'm too lazy.

Coincidentally, Best/Powerware is based in Raleigh. I got the new battery that I shorted the UPS out with by picking it up myself at their shipping center.