Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#293290 - 08/02/2007 16:07 Re: Windows Vista [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Never mind. Found it. You have to hit a button on the task bar that I had long since removed.

The other way is ctrl+windowslogo+tab.

#293291 - 08/02/2007 16:08 Re: Windows Vista [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It'd be nice if that could be made the default behavior for alt+tab. Wonder if there's a hack to do that.

#293292 - 08/02/2007 16:15 Re: Windows Vista [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Never mind. Found it. You have to hit a button on the task bar that I had long since removed.

The other way is ctrl+windowslogo+tab.

I think it's just Windows-Tab.

While it is pretty eye-candy, I don't see the use of the 3d part. With my typical window loadout at work, most would be pretty unrecognizable in that stack it creates. And there is no way to just limit it to show one apps windows. Expose on the mac spoiled me, and Flip3d just looks to be a feature attempting to be flashy, but not one that was implemented to really improve anything.

Of course, since Visual Studio 2005 requires SP1 to even be installed on Vista, and SP1 won't compile our project for some reason, it will be a long time before either of my work Windows boxes are moved to Vista.

#293293 - 08/02/2007 16:22 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I think it's just Windows-Tab.

So it is. That's not what the built-in help says, though.

#293294 - 08/02/2007 23:44 Re: Windows Vista [Re: blitz]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
For background, I'm The Linux And Mac person at a residence hall with about 600 people. About two years ago, we put in new DHCP servers along with a network upgrade. These are my babies, as they run ISC DHCPD on debian stable, the most standard of standard dhcp servers.

For three years, these dhcp servers have run perfectly. They actually run with a config file mainly copied from an even older deployment of isc's dhcpd.

Well, three days ago, the inevitable happened. Our first vista laptop showed up, and it wasn't working. No surprise, our network access control system hasn't been upgraded for vista compatibility, but we had workarounds in place, yada yada yada... This would have been fine except that the damn thing wouldn't get an IP address. Hmmm. Ok, must be this laptop. Nope, the next day, a new vista laptop, same problem. The server was seeing a perfect Discover/Offer/Request/Ack exchange. The laptop was not getting an IP address.

This morning we bought a copy of vista and went to town on the registry, to no avail.

What was the problem?
Code:

option routers 128.32.253.1, 128.32.253.1, 128.32.253.1;

Some script, back in the day, which generated this 3000 line long dhcpd config file, repeated the router three times. Why? The person who knows has long since moved on, and I'm of the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality, so I'd never worried about it. This has worked for years with Windows 98, windows ME, windows 2k, windows 2k3, windows XP, linuxes of all varieties, mac OS 9, Mac OSX, freebsd, and probably more, all without so much as a hiccup.

Problem solved, crisis averted, as a coworker told me, I "get a gold star on my paycheck this month", but damn if I'd rather if things that used to work continued to work.

Matthew

#293295 - 09/02/2007 00:04 Re: Windows Vista [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It wouldn't get an IP address or it didn't set up the default router properly? I suppose either is possible, though the mantra of "be liberal in what you accept" was certainly not carried out by Microsoft here.

#293296 - 09/02/2007 00:46 Re: Windows Vista [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:

It wouldn't get an IP address or it didn't set up the default router properly?

Wouldn't get an IP address or anything of the sort. The person who was doing the registry hacking said that there did seem to be multiple entries in the registry for routers, so it seemed to be trying and then getting confused and giving up the whole thing.

Matthew

#293297 - 09/02/2007 02:09 Re: Windows Vista [Re: matthew_k]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The networking stack was something MS rewrote in Vista, so makes sense that this just cropped up now.

Makes me wonder if they fixed a complaint I had with networking in XP. With OS X, I can tell my DHCP server to assign the same IP to both the wireless and wired interfaces. And if I start a file copy when wireless to a network share, I can plug into ethernet and it switches interfaces over to it with no interruption. XP would try to get IP addresses on both interfaces, and fail on the second connected interface. So if I started wired, the wireless wouldn't work until I manually disabled and reenabled it. If I was on wireless and plugged in, the wired interface would never get an IP.

#293298 - 09/02/2007 02:52 Re: Windows Vista [Re: tfabris]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Quote:
Quote:
I really love the Aero and 3D filp view.

What's the 3D flip view and how do I get to it?

Don't laugh at me.

Try CONTROL and the WIN key and TAB all at the same time.

I find it useful, as I can have the 12 tools I use daily running in 3D flip, and when I need a different one while working on an issue, I can quickly get to just the right one. It may not be for everyone, and I am sure all the Macoligists already have something better, but for me it works great.

#293299 - 09/02/2007 04:04 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Ladmo]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ok, so it looks like Windows - Tab and Ctrl - Windows - Tab do the effect slightly differently.

Windows - Tab, the windows key has to be held down, when released it picks the window on top. Tab cycles through them.

Ctrl - Windows - Tab - Once pressed, windows and ctrl can be released, tab cycles, and enter selects. Either mode also allows the scroll wheel to be used to move through, and the mouse to select.

Quote:
and I am sure all the Macoligists already have something better

Exposé, implemented in OS X 2.5 years ago. It was one thing I was hoping Microsoft would actually rip off. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2XFMSSrpTqg is a good demo of it in the 3 modes it has. The binding can be changes to any key, any mouse button, or screen corners. And the buttons are context sensitive. Tap the key and let go, and the mode locks in till you select a window. Hold the key down, and the mode goes away when the key is released. One big use of it is the desktop mode, where you need to grab a file to attach to an e-mail. Hit the desktop key, grab and hold the file, then release the key and drop the file.

#293300 - 09/02/2007 04:57 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
I've been fooling around last week with beryl on ubuntu.
Didn't think i would like it this much, normally i have all desktop effects turned off.
They ripped off expose too

Xen demo turning in XGL demo (and a little vista bashing):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2849258302734205565

Just a simple video showing off most functions of beryl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3p8IBNNd88
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#293301 - 02/04/2007 05:27 Re: Windows Vista [Re: blitz]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
That Bill Gates doesn't seem very keen for me to get my free Vista upgrade. Of course, I can see his point: We all have those days when we know it's going to be crap and we don't want to stick our head out from under the covers - he'll be there in Seattle putting off to the last letting a grumpy old man like me, who has moaned about every Windows product, getting my hands on the latest.
End of January I sent off my Acer invoice to Modus in Holland attached to an email: End of February they emailed me to say it had been verified; Mid March they emailed me to say it was being shipped and I should have it within 3 weeks(3 Weeks!!!) and to email if I hadn't got it by May 1. Now I may be a grumpy old man, but I don't think that's service.
I only wanted it to see what all the fuss was about!

#293302 - 02/04/2007 12:13 Re: Windows Vista [Re: Schido]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Didn't think i would like it this much, normally i have all desktop effects turned off.

Mmm. I see that they've chosen Compiz over Beryl as the "supported" XGL scheme for Feisty. So I installed Kubuntu beta1 and Compiz -- seems very buggy. Maybe it only works well with Gnome rather than KDE ? Or is Beryl that much better than Compiz that I should try again with it?

Cheers

#293303 - 02/04/2007 13:39 Re: Windows Vista [Re: mlord]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Don't know, i never tried compiz. I'm running the svn version of beryl, and it's pretty crash free now. I must admit i am logged into windows xp more lately.

I used these guides for installing:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263851
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=291464&highlight=beryl+fglrx
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/General_Options

Still on edgy (gnome).
Oh, and it works pretty good on my laptop too with some settings off/low (ibm a31p)
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#293304 - 02/04/2007 16:37 Re: Windows Vista [Re: boxer]
drakino
carpal tunnel

#293305 - 02/04/2007 17:17 Re: Windows Vista [Re: drakino]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Thanks for that, my screen has just ingested half a glass of very acceptable Rioja!

#293306 - 02/04/2007 23:07 Re: Windows Vista [Re: mlord]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Quote:

Mmm. I see that they've chosen Compiz over Beryl as the "supported" XGL scheme for Feisty. So I installed Kubuntu beta1 and Compiz -- seems very buggy. Maybe it only works well with Gnome rather than KDE ? Or is Beryl that much better than Compiz that I should try again with it?

Cheers

If repostings on /. are t be believed, sounds like this could soon be moot (or "mute" for those of you watching on the Internet):

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/04/02/1815214.shtml

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#293307 - 08/06/2007 05:39 Re: Windows Vista [Re: blitz]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
I've taken the plunge and ordered Vista - it should be here today. Going to run it dual-boot with XP until I'm really happy with it...

EDIT: Installing....

Edited by furtive (08/06/2007 09:45)

#293308 - 08/06/2007 12:59 Re: Windows Vista [Re: furtive]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
Well installation was painless enough once I had located the drivers for my RAID/SATA controller.

Installed it on a fresh hard drive but for some reason it didn't detect my existing XP install so I've had to inform it of that. Just trying to get it triple-bootable into kumbutu as well now...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4