Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293679 - 12/02/2007 21:49 Low volume in one speaker
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Last summer I noticed that the rear-left speaker in my car was sounding at a significanlty lower volume than all the other speakers. I scheduled several appointments with my friend and car installer, but had to postpone every time because work has been crazy.

So, tonight I finally sat down and thought about what could be causing such low volume in one speaker (other than a loose cable or a broken amplifier in my car install), and I realized I had a spare empeg I could test. I moved my HDD from one empeg to the other, went down to test it and... IT'S WORKING!

So, the problem is in the "old" empeg. I'd like to fix it, but I have no idea of where the problem could be. Can anybody help? A degraded cable inside the empeg, maybe? A dirty contact on the harness?

Meanwhile, I am finally enjoying the "new" 32MB, "lighted" empeg that Mark made for me, and that I kept religiously in its box for the last year!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#293680 - 12/02/2007 23:36 Re: Low volume in one speaker [Re: Taym]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Is it possible you have a EQ setting doing that? If not, it could be almost anything in the signal path from the DSP to the contacts on the harness. Start with those. Make sure a crimp hasn't come loose. Other than that, do your best to trace out the signal path, measuring the resistances and comparing to the markings on top. and those nearby in the same area. Some times even good ones will read the wrong value because of the effects of being in circuit, but that's about all you can do, short of sending it in to Mark or someone else to fix.

Stu