Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#294260 - 26/02/2007 00:28 A Cool / Cheap Wireless-G AP/Router/etc..
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada

That thing. It's sold under a variety of Brand/Model names. The two I bought for CDN$22.50 each are "Blanc Networks BW-54R11" branded. But the more common variety in the USA is apparently the "GigaFast WF719-CAPR".

It's a bog-standard single-antenna 802.11B+G Wifi router. Runs Linux (2.4.18) internally, and has a decent web config GUI. Range is *excellent*, despite only a single (installed) antenna (there's a solder pad inside, for a second one).

Did I mention it was *cheap* ? I got two of them. One thing it can do, after upgrading firmware to v1.4.1, is a decent WDS function. Combined Client/AP on one channel, so I'm currently connected to one acting as a repeater, which is relaying to the other one upstairs acting as the actual router/gateway to the xDSL connection here (inlaws' house).

Okay, so I'm easily amused.

But if you ever need another Wifi access point (AP), and see one of these on the shelf, rest assured that it is very capable and great value for the money.

EDIT: more info here.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (26/02/2007 00:31)

#294261 - 28/02/2007 21:54 Re: A Cool / Cheap Wireless-G AP/Router/etc.. [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Following up on my own thread.

I liked this beast so much that there are now two of them here.

Our next door neighbour has kindly agreed to let us leach off of their DSL line until ours gets reinstated *late next week* (arghh!!). So to make the connection between houses, we're using the two cheapy wireless routers in WDS mode, protected with WPA2(AES).

Of course, our "lan rooms" are at opposite ends of the two houses from each other, so today SWMBO helped me string cat5 across our basement to the garage, which gets the signal closer to the neighbour's house.

Slight complication: the cat5 run seems to be too long for our switch to handle (WTF?), so we had to insert a hub into the middle of the run to amplify things.

Later I'll try a fully bridged* setup, so that our domain (rtr.ca) can become visible again over this temporary setup. (* as in, a single xDSL modem with two active PPPoE sessions up, one for the neighbours dynamic-IP, and a second connection for our rtr.ca static-IP).

#294262 - 28/02/2007 22:08 Re: A Cool / Cheap Wireless-G AP/Router/etc.. [Re: mlord]
spider

now thats a good neighbour, when I recently moved I went directly to walmart and bought a linksys wireless card for my pc as the local cable company said it would be 2+ weeks to get things switched around. I had almost 10 wireless connections to pick from in this building. I could only get about 80 KB/s but it was enough to hold me over.

#294263 - 28/02/2007 22:10 Re: A Cool / Cheap Wireless-G AP/Router/etc.. [Re: mlord]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Looks nice. I'm partial to the Buffalo WHR-G54S, which run about $40-45. They run all the standard open firmwares, and the five I've deployed have been utterly reliable, and have a nice strong range. I doubt I'll be trying any others until 802.11n comes down in the sub $50 range, as I've got a critical mass of these deployed.

I've run into some really bad ethernet ports in seemingly decent computers, but I've never found a switch to switch connection that doesn't function over a certified network run.

Matthew

#294264 - 28/02/2007 23:36 Re: A Cool / Cheap Wireless-G AP/Router/etc.. [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Later I'll try a fully bridged* setup, so that our domain (rtr.ca) can become visible again over this temporary setup. (* as in, a single xDSL modem with two active PPPoE sessions up, one for the neighbours dynamic-IP, and a second connection for our rtr.ca static-IP).

Well, that was easy.

The neighbour's DSL modem has a built-in router/firewall/switch/etc.. which they use for their access. So the modem software manages their PPPoE session entirely.

Our wireless bridge setup connects into one of the ports on their modem.

Our PPPoE software "just works" in this setup -- that's the part that suprised me!

I had figured we might have to disable the internal firewall/router functionality to get the second session up, and use an external router to manage their connection. But no, it "just works" as-is.

Cheers

#294265 - 04/03/2007 20:39 Re: A Cool / Cheap Wireless-G AP/Router/etc.. [Re: matthew_k]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Slight complication: the cat5 run seems to be too long for our switch to handle (WTF?), so we had to insert a hub into the middle of the run to amplify things.

Well, today I played around with some "wye splitters" that I wired up. Regular 100BaseT uses only two of the four wire pairs in a cat5 cable, and I've found that if I disconnect the two unused pairs, then the amplifier hub is not needed in the middle of that long run.

Bizarre.

I can only speculate that the two unused pairs must be inducing interference of some kind into the two used pairs.

Once we get our own DSL line working again (Friday, maybe..), this setup can be dismantled entirely, and I'll examine the wall jack and cable ends a little more closely. For now, it's working without the hub and I'm leaving well-enough alone.

Cheers