Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#307555 - 22/02/2008 12:43 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Just a quick update, Bluehost recently upgraded their accounts in a similar manner to Dreamhost. They now offer 1.5TB of disk space and 15TB/month for bandwidth. I've been very happy with them, my sites are served faster, and I really like the 24 hour in-country phone support.

Just a word of warning. Bluehost recently suspended my account for hosting a 700MB CD image of the Rio Central software. This was the entirety of the suspension email:

Quote:
Dear Rob:

Your web hosting account for robricc.com has been deactivated (reason: terms of service violation).
Although your web site has been disabled, your data may still be available.

If you feel this deactivation is in error, please contact customer support as
soon as possible.

Thank you,
BlueHost.Com Support
http://www.bluehost.com
For support go to http://helpdesk.bluehost.com/
Toll-Free: (888) 401-4678

No mention of why, no trouble ticket opened. It took 2 days to be able to get at my data, and then another day after that to get the site back live.

I still don't know if their objection to my hosting of the CD was because of space/bandwidth or a potential copyright violation. Anyway, I'm done with them. There's no point in paying for gobs of space that's unusable.

#307556 - 22/02/2008 12:56 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: robricc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted By: robricc
There's no point in paying for gobs of space that's unusable.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same as the Dreamhost scam, though they seem to be letting me slide (for now) on my rsync backups. I still would like to find something more cost-effective, and was hoping the Bluehost experiment would work out for you guys, but the weird "send us your driver's license for SSH access" was keeping me away. With this news, I think I'll stay away.

Where are you headed next, post-Bluehost?

#307557 - 22/02/2008 13:41 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: tonyc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tonyc
Where are you headed next, post-Bluehost?

I only used Bluehost as an experiment and was actually with them for almost a year now without incident.

I run a bit of a hosting company myself by buying a reseller account with Dathorn and then cutting-up the space and bandwidth into a bunch of 500MB, 1GB, 2GB, or 5GB accounts. Clients that make up one tenth of my space usage pretty-much pay for my monthly cost of $200 for 60GB of space.

I don't absolutely love Dathorn, but in over 3 years I really can't complain with the service. Any problems are handled/resolved quickly and professionally. Boxes are not oversold, and are upgraded regularly.

I would love to find a cheap host with massive space that doesn't oversell, place heavy restrictions on CPU time, and has professional support, but it's not going to happen right now.

#307559 - 22/02/2008 14:50 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a little surprised, too.

It looks like Blue/Dreamhost both have the problem that they will suspend your account without warning, which is completely absurd and unnecessary. I know it's in their terms of service that they can do it that suddenly, but why do they need to? Why not send a warning email and at least give the person a day or two to "make it right" or at least straighten it out over the phone.

I have two positive things to say about your situation: at least with Bluehost, you can get in touch with someone immediately via phone. When Dreamhost cut off my account, they were completely unreachable and emails went unanswered for a day or two. Also, with Dreamhost, they didn't just temporarily disable my account, they dropped the bomb and eliminated me as a customer. It took quite a bit of pleading to get them to put my data back long enough for me to download it all and backup my databases. ...I despise Dreamhost

Anyway, I'm doing well with Bluehost so far. I'll be sure to update this thread if the same thing happens to me.

#307560 - 22/02/2008 15:07 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: tonyc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: tonyc

Yeah, that's pretty much the same as the Dreamhost scam, though they seem to be letting me slide (for now) on my rsync backups.

Same here, I am still hosting 60GB of rsync backups with them.

#307561 - 22/02/2008 15:30 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: robricc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Rob, have you looked at Media Temple? I'm considering them for running a dozen or more web sites under my one account. I've got some 4 sites or so running in my Dreamhost account right now without a problem. The sites other than my own are extremely low bandwidth and storage.

#307562 - 22/02/2008 16:01 Re: Web hosting redux... [Re: hybrid8]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Wow, Media Temple is pretty impressive looking. I will have to check them out some more. It's cheap enough to run my service with Dathorn side-by-side for a while so I can determine how reliable they are.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3