Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#299379 - 13/06/2007 01:53 FX network is going too too far.
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
We've all seen the network bugs that sit in the lower corner of the screen, and then the animated bugs announcing the next hit show that we are invited to watch for... but now those same animated bugs have accompanying SOUND EFFECTS.

Movies, programmed for wide dynamic sound, needing the volume turned up to hear the dialog, are a real problem as the bug's sound is programmed at the volume level typically reserved for commercials.

#299380 - 13/06/2007 01:57 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Oh, that's been going on for a while. At least a year.

#299381 - 13/06/2007 02:12 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

This one was for "The Shield" starts with low sirens and ends with a very loud gunshot that overwhelms the existing audio.

Edit: I was wrong the noisy bug was for "The Precinct"

Edited by gbeer (13/06/2007 02:49)

#299382 - 13/06/2007 02:16 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That sounds familiar. I think I remember being irritated by it during last season's The Closer. Nope: that's on TNT. Maybe Rescue Me.

Actually, I seem to remember them advertising Nip/Tuck, too, with some sort of steel-on-steel sound.

Edited by wfaulk (13/06/2007 02:18)

#299383 - 13/06/2007 02:22 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

I just saw the Rescue Me bug, Huge, flaming but no audio.

I think it's a plot, intended to get fewer people watching network tv.

Edited by gbeer (13/06/2007 02:22)

#299384 - 13/06/2007 10:14 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: gbeer]
tman
carpal tunnel

Eww. They should be paying you to watch that crap if so. Its amazing to think that somebody out there thought it was a good idea and that it wouldn't piss off every watcher.

#299385 - 13/06/2007 10:41 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: gbeer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, I've seen that crap before. I hate that stuff. The "bugs" without sound are bad enough.

I do have hope that the bugs with sound effects will phase out, though. I think enough people are complaining about them that they're realizing it's a bad idea. Why do I have hope? Because it seems to me that G4, one of the worst channels on the air, has stopped using them. Maybe I'm wrong, though. The few shows I used to watch on that network I don't watch much anymore.

#299386 - 13/06/2007 15:34 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I think enough people are complaining about them that they're realizing it's a bad idea.

As if anyone in their right mind could have ever thought it was a good idea in the first place?

TV network executives are the just worst breed of idiots on the planet. I'm praying for the day we finally build the B-ark...

#299387 - 13/06/2007 16:03 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
I think enough people are complaining about them that they're realizing it's a bad idea.

As if anyone in their right mind could have ever thought it was a good idea in the first place?

Exactly. They have no thoughts of their own, but I'm betting that viewers have been vocal enough about those things. I mean seriously, an obtrusive, moving, noisy object covering nearly a fifth of the program you're watching? The subject of the thread is right, they've gone too far and I'm hoping they realize this.

I just thought it was hilarious on G4. They would frequently have information on the lower third, and it would be completely covered by one of these bugs. Sometimes it was information on the network's other shows, but you couldn't read it, so they were just shooting themselves in the foot.

Quote:
TV network executives are the just worst breed of idiots on the planet. I'm praying for the day we finally build the B-ark...

I've been pissed today. There's been a huge movement to send thousands of candy bars to the CW to bring back Veronica Mars, and the rumor today is that the folks at CW like the show, but the decision was passed down from CBS (who I didn't realize owned the CW). Now I will jump on the "I don't like Les Moonves" wagon. I can't believe CBS, which has no good shows, is canceling one of favorite shows on the air.

#299388 - 13/06/2007 21:41 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
I can't believe CBS, which has no good shows, is canceling one of favorite shows on the air.

Ah, but there's the rub.

Veronica Mars is one of the better shows on the air, but it is not one of the favorite shows on the air.

Always keep in mind that the network's mandate has nothing to do with quality programming, it is solely driven by audience viewership. If enough people (i.e., morons) wanted to view a series about watching paint dry, then that's what the networks would air, so say good-bye to Veronica Mars, and Firefly, and...

I re-watched some of the Firefly episodes over the weekend, and at the end of each one I found it depressing to think how good television could be.

tanstaafl.

#299389 - 14/06/2007 01:05 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: Dignan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
I do have hope that the bugs with sound effects will phase out, though.

Maybe, but network television advertising will continue to worsen just like Internet advertising did in its much shorter internet-time-frame. It'll become a cesspool, exposed to all those without technological means of blocking it (ie: as TiVO is to popup blockers).

I caught a bit of Nascar a while back, and didn't go for 4 seconds without being flooded with advertising. For someone who hardly watches TV, seeing that was like a sci-fi glimpse into the future world of human manipulation.

And does TV really do what the people want? Or does television programming exist only to make people watch the ads in between and during the "content"? I think TV will manipulate us anyway it can to keep our asses parked to soak up as much advertising and spend as much money on "crap we don't need" (Tyler Durdin) as possible.

#299390 - 14/06/2007 01:36 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
flooded with advertising

Like this?

The Untitled Project

Attachments
300421-untitled24.jpg (83 downloads)

#299391 - 14/06/2007 10:34 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: FireFox31]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
Or does television programming exist only to make people watch the ads in between and during the "content"?

Couldn't be!

-Zeke

#299392 - 14/06/2007 10:35 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Veronica Mars is one of the better shows on the air, but it is not one of the favorite shows on the air.

Oh, I understand that, but what I don't understand is CBS's philosophy. A quick look at their list of shows will show you true mediocrity, and though I'm often surprised at how popular some of these mediocre shows are, hasn't CBS been behind in ratings when compared to the other three major networks?

I guess my logic would be "if all else fails, attempt originality." I guess I'm not surprised that their philosophy is "if all else fails, schedule a farmer dating show."

#299393 - 14/06/2007 10:37 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I caught a bit of Nascar a while back, and didn't go for 4 seconds without being flooded with advertising.

4 seconds? Aren't the cars themselves ads? Technically you can't go a millisecond without ads in NASCAR.

Quote:
I re-watched some of the Firefly episodes over the weekend, and at the end of each one I found it depressing to think how good television could be.

Isn't that depressing? I get the same feeling when I watch Freaks and Geeks.

#299394 - 14/06/2007 11:52 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

I got the DVD release of the series after watching Serenity. I was surprised at how good the series was. Of course, I never heard of it while it was still on the air. My roommate has been watching them all again over the last few evenings. I forgot how many just amazing lines are in that show... Jayne has some awesome ones.

"Time for some daring heroics".

#299395 - 15/06/2007 01:22 Re: FX network is going too too far. [Re: Dignan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

What is really crazy about these bugs (for some reason I keep miss typing bugs as buts) is that they are all advertising other shows on FX and that the last commercial during the break was a house ad for... another show.