Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#308174 - 14/03/2008 02:47 Wedding, honeymoon and other things
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Life has, as you all know, a tendency of getting in the way of things. Like wasting time on these boards.

None of you came asking after me, but I know you all were wondering where I went. (You can admit it to yourself now)

Long story short, I have a fiancee and she won't be my fiancee anymore come April 6th.

http://calebandjennywedding.com

We found an apartment to rent for a week at about $200 per night.
Our money is nearly worthless there (although it has gone up about $0.01 since last week), but at least we'll have a place to sleep.

We have some ideas for what we'd like to do with our time there. We would love to have some more, though. If anyone can point us toward anything that isn't already mentioned in most travel guides we'd appreciate it.

We will be staying in this area.

Now that I've typed all that I feel like I've already mentioned it before. Well, this post is just in case you missed the other, I guess.

#308176 - 14/03/2008 03:20 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
Ross Wellington
enthusiast

Cute couple.

Ross

#308177 - 14/03/2008 04:17 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I know it's the normal tourist stuff, but I really enjoyed the Tower of London and the Cabinet War Rooms. My wife really liked the tour at the reconstruction of the Globe theatre, but she was a theatre major in school.

We also took a day trip out to Stonehenge and Salisbury. I really enjoyed the tower tour at Salisbury Cathedral. Stonehenge was only ok...It pretty much looks like the pictures and they just have audio tours.

Congratulations and have fun. Plan on sleeping a bit the first day.

#308179 - 14/03/2008 07:13 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Congrats!!!

I suggest the Imperial War Museum, and you just have to take a stroll down Park Lane and check out the posh car dealerships. If the weather is good, spend an afternoon in Hyde Park - it can be very romantic. And go down to Leicester Square and try to get a last-minute ticket for one of the classic plays/shows/musicals.

But all of that, apart from Park Lane, is in the tourist guides, so I am sure you have already considered it. There is so much to do/see in London - it all depends what you are into.

#308181 - 14/03/2008 07:16 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: JBjorgen]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Yay! Obviously the London Eye is cool, and the Buckingham and Lambeth palaces and the Tower are good to visit.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#308183 - 14/03/2008 09:03 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: frog51]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
My in-laws visited last year, they are nutters when it comes to research, so you might find something of interest.

And congrats on getting married.

Edited by Phoenix42 (14/03/2008 09:05)
Edit Reason: for some reason I can't attach a file. Probably my browser. E-mail with attachment sent to address in profile.

#308192 - 14/03/2008 11:43 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: Phoenix42]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Like others have said, we liked the London Eye and the Tower (get a ticket to the nighttime tour - it's just one small intimate group).

The first day there were did something very touristy and took an open bus tour of the city. Normally I would have thought this was a waste of time/money, but the tour guide we had was genuinely very funny and informative. I can't guarantee the other guides to the same, though.

Good luck to you. My wife and I went on a tour of Europe several years ago. We went to London, Cambridge, Paris, about seven cities in Italy, and two in Germany. London was far and away the most expensive place we visited.

Quote:
And go down to Leicester Square and try to get a last-minute ticket for one of the classic plays/shows/musicals.

Very good idea. We did that too, and got cheap tickets to a real classic: When Harry Met Sally starring Luke Perry and Alyson Hannigan.

#308193 - 14/03/2008 11:48 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Dagnabit.. you're three months early. Change the wedding date to early July instead, and then you'll save having to fly over again for the empeg Birthday party!

smile

#308196 - 14/03/2008 13:30 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The Tate Gallery is a wonderful art museum.

#308199 - 14/03/2008 13:52 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Dignan
The first day there were did something very touristy and took an open bus tour of the city. Normally I would have thought this was a waste of time/money, but the tour guide we had was genuinely very funny and informative.

I had exactly one jet-lagged day in London to spend, and I spent it the same way. Weather permitting, it was a great way to see the city on such a severe time budget.

#308205 - 14/03/2008 15:14 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: tfabris]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

We've had several people suggest the late play tickets. We'll definitely have to hit that up. Nat'l Gallery, Tower (I like the night-time idea, thanks), Eye, Imperial War Museum (Great idea, thanks!), Hyde Park.

All fantastic, and even some new, ideas.

Thanks guys.

I don't care much about celebrities and such. Is Tussaud's worth it?

As for meals, we are fortunate enough to have a kitchen where we are staying. That's one reason we went with an apartment over a hotel. We would like to cook in a few times, if for no other reason than to save money. Breakfasts will probably all be cooked by us. Most days we probably won't be around for lunch or dinner. The books we have suggest ways to find cheaper food, such as small lunches at pubs and the like. Does anyone have any tips for that? We do plan on spending money on, at the least, one good meal, but we definitely can't afford that every night.

Thanks!

#308208 - 14/03/2008 15:37 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
julf
veteran

Originally Posted By: l0ser

I would say "no", but last time I was there was long ago, at a private party... Only go if you want to have a picture of yourself next to a not-very-lifelike Famous Person...

#308209 - 14/03/2008 15:51 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:

No. Just no.

They're opening one here in DC, for some reason.

I think that night tour of the Tower might require reservations. I'll check on that...

#308211 - 14/03/2008 16:56 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: Dignan]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
A great 'on foot' sightseeing tour: Walk from Trafalgar Square through St James' park down The Mall (take some bread and feed the ducks) to Buckingham palace. Then walk back along Birdcage Walk, past the guards buildings (check about changing times) to the Houses of Parliament/Big Ben; then walk up the Embankment a bit and back(don't bother with Downing St it's boring); then cross the bridge to the South Bank - there are sometimes worthwhile things on there IIRC and on to the London Eye. South of the river is less interesting so don't bother walking around there.

I've not toured Buckingham Palace but I have been around Windsor Palace - truly amazing. If you can tour it, do so.

Battersea Power station is cool if you like your architecture/photos.

Denise suggested Eltham Palace if you are into Art Deco; we've not been but it's on the list. It's a tube/train ride away.

Museums in close proximity:
* Natural History
* Science Museum
* V&A (Victoria & Albert)
Nearby is the Royal Albert Hall.

Places to shop:
* Covent Garden
* Carnaby Street is interesting
* Harrods used to be good
* Bond St is nice to window shop
* Avoid Oxford/Regent St. Same old big dept stores.
* look down the alleys - it's amazing what you find.

Eating reasonably close:
Soho is good for restaurants - not all expensive.
Garfunkels are reasonable
Texas Lone Star in Kensington is fun

#308212 - 14/03/2008 17:07 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: LittleBlueThing]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Great post. Thanks for those ideas.

#308214 - 14/03/2008 17:09 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Here's some more information from my travel agent ("mom"):

Quote:
Here's an official site:
http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/countries/uk/tower-of-london-ceremony-of-the-keys.htm

But this one has more information for tourists:
http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx

They both say to WRITE for tickets, which is pretty antiquated, but then so is London! I think that International Reply Coupons are available at any post office.

For other ideas, this claims to be the "Number One Internet Site for London":
http://www.londontown.com/London/London_Ceremonies_and_Traditions

By the way, evidently you can book online for the London Eye:
http://www.londoneye.com/

#308215 - 14/03/2008 17:19 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: Dignan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Awesome possum.

Thank your travel agent for me.

#308217 - 14/03/2008 18:12 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: l0ser
As for meals, we are fortunate enough to have a kitchen where we are staying. That's one reason we went with an apartment over a hotel. We would like to cook in a few times, if for no other reason than to save money. Breakfasts will probably all be cooked by us. Most days we probably won't be around for lunch or dinner. The books we have suggest ways to find cheaper food, such as small lunches at pubs and the like. Does anyone have any tips for that?

Heh.. meals were the biggest problem on my first visit to London. They don't eat at the same times that you and I are used to eating.. and finding things like.. breakfast.. can be difficult.

Restaurants exist, and do serve food more regularly than pubs, but lack atmosphere and have much higher prices. Go for the pubs instead (they're everywhere), but do keep track of their food hours .. those can change daily!

I stayed at Trafalgar square, and ended up finding breakfast the Golden Arches around the corner on The Strand. Skipped lunches, and had supper at the Sherlock Holmes Pub beside the hotel. Quite good and affordable there.

Cheers

#308218 - 14/03/2008 18:30 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: mlord]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: mlord
and finding things like.. breakfast.. can be difficult.

...and don't expect anyone to know what you mean when you try to order French Toast!
lol
Somehow they put sugar *inside* their waffles, too. Mysterious.

#308219 - 14/03/2008 18:37 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: Robotic]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
don't expect anyone to know what you mean when you try to order French Toast!

Try "eggy bread", "poor knights of windsor", or "pain perdu" (pronounced "pan pardoo").

#308245 - 15/03/2008 07:30 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: LittleBlueThing]
julf
veteran

Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
Battersea Power station is cool if you like your architecture/photos.

Or if you are/were into Pink Floyd. Too bad the pig won't be there.

#308264 - 15/03/2008 18:49 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: wfaulk]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
'Normal' English people don't eat out. The very idea of going out for breakfast is just weird.

I suppose it my be different for townies... but those of us brought up 'up north' and in who live in villages would just have cereal, toast, fruit, boiled egg, bacon butties or an omelette for breakfast (or, not and).

#308266 - 15/03/2008 21:26 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: LittleBlueThing]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
sometimes and...

and you can add haggis in there too:-) Great breakfast food.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#309052 - 11/04/2008 11:53 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

We're here and we're having a blast. Thanks to all who gave us advice.

http://gallery.l0ser.net/v/vacations/honeymoon2008/

The panoramic photos do work, just not the resizes or the thumbnails. The fullsize works fine. frown

I'll try to fix it when I'm not on a honeymoon.

#309067 - 13/04/2008 01:07 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: RobotCaleb]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
A belated congratulations!!!!

#309090 - 14/04/2008 10:33 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: LittleBlueThing]
furtive
old hand

Loc: London, UK
'Normal' English people don't eat out. The very idea of going out for breakfast is just weird.

Are you joking? Never heard of a greasy spoon? London is built on a good breakfast

#309094 - 14/04/2008 12:09 Re: Wedding, honeymoon and other things [Re: furtive]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
Originally Posted By: furtive

Are you joking? Never heard of a greasy spoon? London is built on a good breakfast

He said 'Normal' English people, does that include Londoners? whistle grin wink
(and any other smilies that may indicate that I am totally joking, before I'm across working in London again!)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB