Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#308683 - 29/03/2008 02:23 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: andym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'll agree it got better and better, but it could only go up. I think the acting is pretty bad (except for Summer Glau - I think she pulls it off perfectly), and the writing is pretty awful as well.

I guess if we're comparing it to other new shows that improved during their short run this year, I'm saying that it doesn't hold a candle to Journeyman. That show started off very so-so, and got really freaking good at the end. That one won't be coming back, though.

#308727 - 31/03/2008 12:24 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I had the realization the other day that Battlestar Galactica and Terminator have essentially the same plot device (the bad guys, they look like us, and they're bad ass) but have taken it in very, very different directions. Galactica has politics and just a sense of largeness. Things are always afoot, and even though we follow many of the same characters, they're always acting in some kind of larger context. Terminator, on the other hand, is very small. The world at large has no idea what's going on.

Also, (spoiler free) the Terminator season ending cliffhanger, if you really want to call it that, was hardly cliffhanging. It's not like you can't easily predict what happens next. The Galactica cliffhanger, Jimi Hendrix allusions aside, was a total mental screwup and leaves us wondering what the frak is going on.

#308728 - 31/03/2008 12:25 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: andym]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I liked the Sarah Conner Chronicles, but I'm not sure why. It has joined Heroes as being the only two shows I watch on TV besides hockey. That means it will probably be canceled.

#308731 - 31/03/2008 14:42 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: andym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Terminator 3 sucked because it was essentially the exact same story as T2 but with a much worse script, lower budget, lack of direction, different John Connor, no Sarah Connor. A lot of people were expecting the whole thing to take place in the dark Skynet future. That, at least, would have made it different.

Here's hoping that along with a new Matrix, we never see a Terminator sequel.

I've caught a few bits of a few episodes of the TV show and while I can't comment on the series as a whole, I can say what I saw was far better than Terminator 3.

This season of Heroes was complete trash. In some ways I think it may have been saved by the writer's strike. Let's hope they don't hire back any of the same writers who worked on it in the fall. But it's a shame a number of the quality new shows aren't coming back until late this year (Life, Pushing Daisies among others)

#308749 - 31/03/2008 18:37 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: hybrid8]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
This season of Heroes was complete trash.

I wouldn't go that far. It was certainly a giant step backwards from the first season, which was a truly brilliant thing.

Quote:
I can say what I saw was far better than Terminator 3.

Interestingly, they make various allusions in the TV show to the movies, but it's all very tangential. They can't help but refer to the first movie often. Discussion of either subsequent film is circumspect at best (e.g., they've mentioned a previous "friendly" Terminator (or Terminators), but it's not clear whether they're talking about the Governator in T2 or something else. Certainly, we've seen no sign of "liquid metal", which is probably a good thing.)

The scientific technobabble in the Terminator TV show is starting to annoy me. If, for example, time travel only works on living people, then how did the bad-guy head manage to make the jump with our cast of characters, when it had no skin left on it? Likewise, "hey kid, can you whip up a virus to take out this thing" is kinda silly. How do you engineer a virus when you don't know anything about what you're attacking? And, ultimately, all of this craziness about getting the Turk is a bit silly. It's not a rare gem. It's a piece of software. There should be copies. Backups. Branches.

Now, the question is whether I'm more experiencing trouble suspending my disbelief at Terminator's technobabble, or whether I'm experiencing trouble suspending my disbelief at some of the more fantastic / religious elements of Battlestar Galactica.

#308752 - 31/03/2008 19:53 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: DWallach]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: DWallach
The scientific technobabble in the Terminator TV show is starting to annoy me. If, for example, time travel only works on living people, then how did the bad-guy head manage to make the jump with our cast of characters, when it had no skin left on it?

Come to think of it, how did the baddies in both T2 and T3 come back if that's the case? I haven't got inclination to read the scripts of all the films, but maybe that 'field generated by a living organism' was only true in the first film?

Quote:
all of this craziness about getting the Turk is a bit silly. It's not a rare gem. It's a piece of software. There should be copies. Backups. Branches.

Maybe he was so busy drinking coffee and cracking open xbox's he forgot to put it in all in an svn repository.

I'd like to think of myself as a technical person, so nowadays I just try and ignore the technobabble. But don't get me started on CSI, how they can take 4 pixels out of a CCTV framegrab and make a whole new picture is beyond me!

Andy M

#308753 - 31/03/2008 20:08 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: andym

Come to think of it, how did the baddies in both T2 and T3 come back if that's the case? I haven't got inclination to read the scripts of all the films, but maybe that 'field generated by a living organism' was only true in the first film?

I don't think it was ever mentioned in the second film. Of course, I thought nothing else could come through - wasn't it destroyed after Kyle was sent back?

I think Fox said that they originally intended the head to travel with full tissue but it was deemed too gory for tv so theyb were forced to re-think it. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

I find its best not to think too hard about things - just accept it!

In the Sarah Connor Chronicles, what's the deal with them being chained up in that house in the future, then getting led downstairs and hearing piano music and then released next day??

All this stuff would probably have been addressed if the scheduled run of episodes were made - it was cut short due to the writers strike.

#308771 - 01/04/2008 12:25 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: hybrid8]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Terminator 3 sucked because it was essentially the exact same story as T2 but with a much worse script, lower budget, lack of direction, different John Connor, no Sarah Connor. A lot of people were expecting the whole thing to take place in the dark Skynet future. That, at least, would have made it different.

One of the things I enjoyed about T3 was the story about how the apocolypse began, and how John survived it. That was the part of the story I was waiting for, and T3 explained it.

#308772 - 01/04/2008 12:29 Re: new shows for the fall [Re: Tim]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Well, the TV show retconned the entirety of T3, so now you don't know again. Sorta.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3