Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#310330 - 20/05/2008 13:11 receiver.arf relevant to v3.00 Alpha 11 Receiver Edition
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
Hello Folks,

I managed to revive an old Empeg with a small hard drive with v3a11 Receiver Edition. In trying to have it served by Medianet, I received the following comment from the author of Medianet:

"I don’t think a device that “emulates” the rio is going to work, unless it actually downloads and uses the receiver.arf (which works differently to the one supplied with rio’s) there is no chance. Do you have any info on the “emulation” that I could look at to see what it does please?"

Can anyone help me answer this question?

Thanks!

#310331 - 20/05/2008 13:22 Re: receiver.arf relevant to v3.00 Alpha 11 Receiver Edition [Re: jules]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
unless it actually downloads and uses the receiver.arf (which works differently to the one supplied with rio’s) there is no chance

In that case, no, it's not going to work. The "receiver.arf" is the server-side file which contains the downloadable player application for a real Receiver: it sounds as if Medianet works by serving an alternative player application customised to its own server. Receiver Edition car-players don't touch "receiver.arf" and always use their built-in player application. So it looks like you should cross Medianet off your list.

Peter

#310333 - 20/05/2008 13:32 Re: receiver.arf relevant to v3.00 Alpha 11 Receiver Edition [Re: peter]
jules

Thank you very much for the reply, Peter. Do you have plans to port the pertinent part of your server to Win32? If so, I'll keep my eyes open, and until then live within the constraints of the 18gb drive the Empeg has.

It seemed to me that the Receiver Edition of v3A11 was an excellent idea that could really be useful to many. Not just because of saving in hard drive purchases when you have several Empegs in a home, but because of the central management of the music collection that becomes possible.

Thanks again.

-Julio

#310347 - 20/05/2008 16:33 Re: receiver.arf relevant to v3.00 Alpha 11 Receiver Edition [Re: jules]
peter
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jules
Thank you very much for the reply, Peter. Do you have plans to port the pertinent part of your server to Win32?

Yes, very much so. It shouldn't even be all that hard, especially if there's no attempt to support real Receivers (i.e. no receiver.arf).

Peter

#310349 - 20/05/2008 19:09 Re: receiver.arf relevant to v3.00 Alpha 11 Receiver Edition [Re: peter]
jules

Eagerly waiting..... Thanks a bunch!

#311045 - 06/06/2008 14:57 Re: receiver.arf relevant to v3.00 Alpha 11 Receiver Edition [Re: jules]
peter
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jules
Thank you very much for the reply, Peter. Do you have plans to port the pertinent part of your server to Win32? If so, I'll keep my eyes open, and until then live within the constraints of the 18gb drive the Empeg has.

OK, it's a bit rough-and-ready but you can now find it on http://chorale.sf.net -- if you want to have a play and are willing to bear with me a bit through the bugfixing and polishing stage of the process. Read the installation instructions; currently you have to do a bunch of things manually which a proper installer would do for you...

(I don't want to clog up this BBS with lots of Chorale discussions, as much of what Chorale does is only tangentially related to the Empeg legacy, but I think that stuff about Chorale as a Receiver server, or as a server for Receiver Edition car-players, is still on-topic here.)

Peter