Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#314683 - 05/10/2008 11:19 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: Redrum]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Originally Posted By: Redrum
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I find it hysterical that Doug's getting a $7 a month plan, and iPhone users are getting a $130 a month plan.

I think I've got the winning deal so far (as far as cheap cells go)

I went with Tracfone and got:

- Kyocera 126C + 120 minute card +$29.99
- Found a $3.00 off code on the web
- Was a new phone so got 10 bonus minute
- Had issues with web activation so got 3 months free
- The wife had a code good for 30 minutes when activating

So I got 5 months of phone for $27.99 with 160 minutes.

That works out to about $5.90 a month with no hidden fees.

160 minutes should be more than enough for me.

That’s more than the nothing I’ve been paying now (for nothing) but not much.

I've had conference calls blow through 160 minutes, sadly.

#314692 - 05/10/2008 16:26 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: Daria]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
I've had conference calls blow through 160 minutes, sadly.

Admittedly I've never been very high up the executive food chain, but in my 45 years of working experience, I have never once found a conference call to be the least bit worthwhile.

Is it just me, or do conference calls actually accomplish something given the right circumstances?

tanstaafl.

#314697 - 05/10/2008 19:04 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
It is not just you.

#314698 - 05/10/2008 20:26 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

The more people you have on a call (or meeting), the less that'll actually get done.

#314701 - 05/10/2008 20:57 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: tman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA

#314710 - 06/10/2008 11:51 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Admittedly I've never been very high up the executive food chain, but in my 45 years of working experience, I have never once found a conference call to be the least bit worthwhile.

Is it just me, or do conference calls actually accomplish something given the right circumstances?

Depending on the people who are running the call, the tools used in concert with the call, and the content of the meeting, they can be worthwhile. We use the conference calls with Viz (or WebEx if it is internal only) so people can actually see the data being discussed.

I would much rather spend those 6 hours in a telecon every other month or so than spending 12 flying/driving to get to that meeting. The same information gets shared and the same decisions are reached over the conference call as they would have been face to face.

#314712 - 06/10/2008 12:15 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: Tim]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: Tim
The same information gets shared and the same decisions are reached over the conference call as they would have been face to face.

Which is to say: none.

Personally, I find an email thread 100 times more useful. For one thing, it gives people an opportunity to formulate an idea rather than just blurting out the first thing that pops into their heads.

#314715 - 06/10/2008 12:59 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: wfaulk]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
The same information gets shared and the same decisions are reached over the conference call as they would have been face to face.

Personally, I find an email thread 100 times more useful. For one thing, it gives people an opportunity to formulate an idea rather than just blurting out the first thing that pops into their heads.

That may be the difference there. We use these meetings mainly to support an event planned for 2011 (a qualification event).

At these meetings, no decisions are made on the spot - we have the time and necessity to do this right. When a decision is required, the problem is presented then until the next meeting email traffic takes place discussing it, next meeting a synopsis of the choices, then the next meeting is when a decision is reached. We aren't constrained by fast timelines so nothing spur of the moment occurs. If that happened and all the interested parties didn't agree or accept the solution, qualification wouldn't occur.

Under these circumstances, conference calls work out great.

#314716 - 06/10/2008 13:08 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I do find that videoconferences (but not, really, voice-only teleconferences) help mitigate this effect, even if actual decisions don't get made.

Peter

#314722 - 06/10/2008 16:26 Re: Cell phone advice needed [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR

Sometimes, that's true, but not always. I was part of a conference call last week, which was very useful -- far more so than the corresponding email thread. We needed resolution on something, and it was dragging out forever via email. A 45 minute conference call took care of it, and everyone was clear on what was going on. And, for what it's worth, it also involved a significant amount of brainstorming, and blurting out the first thing that popped into our heads.

In fact, that was one of the reasons why an email thread was so useless -- someone on one end would spend a long time crafting a reply with their idea, which had a hole glaringly obvious to the person on the other end. But it would take a few days to get a reply, along with another idea. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sometimes, an honest to goodness conversation is just plain better than email.

If nothing comes from a meeting, then the person running the meeting didn't do their job correctly. (And yeah, I've been that guy, sometimes.)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3