Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#311862 - 07/07/2008 18:03 A simple (I hope!) email question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Now that I am in California for a year or so, I can no longer send mail through my old alaska.net internet account. I can receive emails (I am keeping the account active for a while still) but not send because (obviously) I am now connected to the internet through a different ISP.

This is not a big problem for me, because I am now using Gmail as my normal email client.

What I need to change in my Windows Vista POS system is my default email client. In other words, whenever I click on an email address in a document, it pulls up my Internet Alaska Outlook Express client, and I'll usually get most of the way through typing my response before it dawns on me that I can't send that email.

What do I change (and how) so that when I click on an email link it opens up my Gmail account instead of the Outlook Express on Internet Alaska?

tanstaafl.

#311863 - 07/07/2008 18:11 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tanstaafl.]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I use Gmail notifier. Right-click on the task bar icon and go into the options and tick "use Gmail for Internet mailto: links"

#311865 - 07/07/2008 18:18 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Like Phil said, GMail notifier will do this for you, as well as notify you of new emails. It's one of the first things I install on all my computers.

Another option is this program I just heard about today. I might install that later.

#311866 - 07/07/2008 18:22 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yup. That's the correct answer. Gmail notifier.

More details for ya, Doug:

Since Gmail is a web-based mail system that doesn't use any "client" at all, then the concept of a "default mail client" on the system doesn't really make sense to Windows in that situation.

This is an interesting little dilemma. There are many perfectly valid web based mail systems (including microsoft's own systems), and I think you should be able to configure Windows to say "my default mail client is a web site". Maybe you can, I'm not sure how though.

Anyway, the two ways around it are:

- Install an application that is meant to access the web based mail system, and make that application your default client. As mentioned before, this is one of the great uses for the Gmail Notifier applet. I like this applet a lot, and it works well.

- Configure your web based email so that it can be accessed with a regular mail client (I'm pretty sure gmail allows POP and IMAP access these days), and then add another account to Outlook to connect to Gmail instead of your other Alaska ISP.

#311867 - 07/07/2008 18:25 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Actually, Tony, Gmail Notifier can set up Gmail as Windows' default email client.

#311868 - 07/07/2008 18:29 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Doug, you might also want to consider having Gmail grab your alaska.net emails so you don't even have to deal with two different clients.

Check out the instructions for Gmail's Mail Fetcher. It's all contained within Gmail itself; nothing to configure on your computer at all. It also allows you to send emails using your old email address if you want. It also uses the correct address when replying, based on what email address the original email was sent to. (Though you can configure that differently if you want.)

#311869 - 07/07/2008 18:33 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Actually, Tony, Gmail Notifier can set up Gmail as Windows' default email client.

Interesting. I thought that Gmail Notifier had to be running in order for that to function. I could *swear* that's how it worked. I know it at least *used* to work that way. It would pop up a little window and everything...

Hm. Trying it now, I see that they've updated it so that it works whether Notifier is running or not, it just launches firefox with the proper link information to set up a "compose". I'm going to look at what the necessary registry entry and URLs are to make that function, so that Douglas doesn't have to use gnotify.exe if he doesn't want to.

#311870 - 07/07/2008 18:40 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, I was right. The registry entry for "Mailto" still launches GNOTIFY.EXE. They've just cleaned up the user interface so that you don't actually have to have Google Notifier up and running, and it doesn't look like it's doing anything special on the screen. But the truth is that they *DIDN'T* actually set the default mail client to the Gmail web site. They did like I said: They set the default mail client to GNOTIFY.EXE which in turn calls up the web site and does the necessary trickery to log in and call up a "Compose" screen.

#311872 - 07/07/2008 19:07 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tanstaafl.]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Are you using Outlook Express to check your GMail and your alaska.net accounts? If yes, I think you just need to go to Tools -> Accounts -> Mail and set GMail as your default email account.

#311876 - 07/07/2008 22:45 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: Attack]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted By: Attack
Are you using Outlook Express to check your GMail and your alaska.net accounts? If yes, I think you just need to go to Tools -> Accounts -> Mail and set GMail as your default email account.

Yes, GMail can also be fully accessed by an external client - they provide IMAP/POP and SMTP (via authentication).

So in that case it's just a question of making it the default email account and then setting whichever mail client you use to be the default mailto: client.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#311884 - 08/07/2008 18:13 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tanstaafl.]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
This isn't really what you're asking, but just FYI: If you change your SMTP server to the one of your current ISP you should still be able to receive *and* send mails via your old alaska.net account. I've done this for three email accounts from three different IPS's at one point, and it worked no probs...

#311885 - 08/07/2008 18:36 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Archeon
This isn't really what you're asking, but just FYI: If you change your SMTP server to the one of your current ISP you should still be able to receive *and* send mails via your old alaska.net account. I've done this for three email accounts from three different IPS's at one point, and it worked no probs...

This is a good point.

There is one caveat, though. To prevent their SMTP server from being an open relay, Alaska.net might have some restrictions that prevent Doug from doing this. The possible restrictions are:

1. They might not allow IP addresses from outside of Alaska.net to send emails through their SMTP server. If that is the case, then Doug won't be able to do anything about it and he can't send mail that way.

2. They might have the SMTP server require authentication (a user name and password) in order to send mail through it. If that is the case, Doug might need to dig around in his email software to change that setting and make sure it's configured for the correct authentication before he's able to send mail that way.

#311887 - 08/07/2008 18:54 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Or he could just set up the account with Gmail. Even if he doesn't want to receive the alaska.net email at Gmail, they will allow him to use that email address to send email, and then he doesn't have to worry about his ISP's restrictions. Same basic setup under Settings->Accounts on Gmail.

#311888 - 08/07/2008 19:13 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Tony, one basic question for you: why not just keep GMail Notifier running? On my system it's only tying up 8.5MB of memory, and I can always be notified of new mail.

I think we should really keep this as straightforward as possible. Just install GMail Notifier, and follow Bitt's instructions for adding your other email account to GMail. I have two accounts set up this way myself, in addition to about eight forwarded addresses. GMail is an amazing email aggregator, and as an added benefit, your other email addresses get the advantage of Google's spam filters and search features.

#311889 - 08/07/2008 19:19 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Tony, one basic question for you: why not just keep GMail Notifier running?

Absolutely. It's the very first thing we all said. It was the very first line in my first reply.

My only point for bringing up the other stuff was to point out why you *need* the notifier program. For reasons I don't fully understand, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it without installing a third party application to do the dirty work for you.

#311890 - 08/07/2008 19:50 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
For reasons I don't fully understand ...

Really? You worked for the great satan. Surely you understand that they've already determined every problem you'll ever need solved and given you the solution. Since there's no solution for this, it's a problem no one needs solved. QED.

#311891 - 08/07/2008 19:55 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Tony, one basic question for you: why not just keep GMail Notifier running?

Absolutely. It's the very first thing we all said. It was the very first line in my first reply.

Yeah, I understood that, and I suggested it as well (see 3rd post of the thread). I just incorrectly inferred from your posts that you didn't like that you had to have the program running at all times. I want to have it running at all times anyway, so I guess I just don't understand why it's a big deal. But I gather you were just asking out of curiosity.

#311892 - 08/07/2008 20:38 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But I gather you were just asking out of curiosity.

Yup, just a sense of academic curiosity, wondering aloud why it's so tough to to make a web-based mail service launch from a mailto link.

Essentially I was trying to point up a limitation in Windows, especially with more and more people going web-based with their mail. Perhaps that's an imaginary limitation, maybe it's really easy to do and I just don't know the method.

#311893 - 08/07/2008 20:40 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Surely you understand that they've already determined every problem you'll ever need solved and given you the solution. Since there's no solution for this, it's a problem no one needs solved. QED.

No kidding. Today I did some research to find out why Vista got rid of the "up directory" button in Windows Explorer.

It seems that the "breadcrumb bar" is supposed to be its replacement, but man, that's a real pain to use in place of the up button. More clicks, more brain power needs to be engaged to use it, more of a chance of making a mistake... Man, what a poor design choice.

#311894 - 08/07/2008 21:15 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

No kidding. Today I did some research to find out why Vista got rid of the "up directory" button in Windows Explorer.

Yeah. I keep wanting to press that button...

#311895 - 08/07/2008 22:02 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yup, just a sense of academic curiosity, wondering aloud why it's so tough to to make a web-based mail service launch from a mailto link.

Essentially I was trying to point up a limitation in Windows, especially with more and more people going web-based with their mail. Perhaps that's an imaginary limitation, maybe it's really easy to do and I just don't know the method.

Not that I have a hotmail account, nor a windows box that I want to try on, but anyhow...

Windows XP allows you to set Hotmail as the e-mail button at the top of the start menu by going into the taskbar properties. Does that also change the mailto links somehow? And is this being done in a standard way, or (the likely answer) a MS proprietary and undocumented way?

#311900 - 09/07/2008 05:57 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: drakino]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: drakino
Does that also change the mailto links somehow? And is this being done in a standard way, or (the likely answer) a MS proprietary and undocumented way?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

#311905 - 09/07/2008 10:16 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: Dignan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Tony, one basic question for you: why not just keep GMail Notifier running? On my system it's only tying up 8.5MB of memory, and I can always be notified of new mail.

I feel very old, all of a sudden.

Peter

#311906 - 09/07/2008 11:17 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

That is so annoying! And I think it's even more annoying that it's still there, hidden by an even more awkward keyboard shortcut. Press Alt+up to show it. That's even a bad shortcut, IMO.

#311907 - 09/07/2008 11:21 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: peter]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: peter
I feel very old, all of a sudden.

No kidding. I had the same thought when I first read that.

#311913 - 09/07/2008 13:38 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger

I'm aware that that's the registry key. What would one stick into that key to make it log in to a web-based mail service and open up a "compose" page (ideally with the address and subject line filled out as indicated by the parameters on the original mailto link)?

#311914 - 09/07/2008 13:40 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: Archeon

This is a good point.

There is one caveat, though. To prevent their SMTP server from being an open relay, Alaska.net might have some restrictions that prevent Doug from doing this. The possible restrictions are:

1. They might not allow IP addresses from outside of Alaska.net to send emails through their SMTP server. If that is the case, then Doug won't be able to do anything about it and he can't send mail that way.

2. They might have the SMTP server require authentication (a user name and password) in order to send mail through it. If that is the case, Doug might need to dig around in his email software to change that setting and make sure it's configured for the correct authentication before he's able to send mail that way.

I think you slightly misunderstood what was suggested there Tony. It was suggested that Doug could change his outgoing SMTP server to point to his new ISP's server instead of Alaska.net.

As such Alaska.net would have nothing* to do with whether doing that worked or not, his outgoing mail wouldn't be going anywhere near their SMTP server.

* if they are using SPF or domain signatures and the recipient's mail server also implements the same then their setup could prevent it from working, but that isn't very likely

#311915 - 09/07/2008 13:44 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
Windows XP allows you to set Hotmail as the e-mail button at the top of the start menu by going into the taskbar properties. Does that also change the mailto links somehow? And is this being done in a standard way, or (the likely answer) a MS proprietary and undocumented way?

Nope. Setting e-mail to Hotmail still kept Outlook as my mailto program, at least on my XP 64 box at work. And of course, clicking on the Hotmail button opened in IE, even though Firefox is set as the default browser on that machine and IE is turned off by the court mandated "Set Program Access and Defaults".

So to go back to:
Quote:

It looks like MS doesn't have a way to do this built in, even when they own both the web mail service and the OS. It's odd that selecting Hotmail goes to a web site instead of trying to configure Outlook Express for your hotmail account. With .Mac, all you have to do is plug in your username and password at machine setup time, or later in one place, and every service including Mail is configured automatically.

#311916 - 09/07/2008 13:46 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

I'm aware that that's the registry key. What would one stick into that key to make it log in to a web-based mail service and open up a "compose" page (ideally with the address and subject line filled out as indicated by the parameters on the original mailto link)?

Googling suggests something like this:

"c:\program files\google\gmail notifier\gnotify.exe" -url http://mail.google.com/a/YourDomainName.org -mailto %1

Not that I've tested that it works.

#311917 - 09/07/2008 14:01 Re: A simple (I hope!) email question [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
Googling suggests something like this:

"c:\program files\google\gmail notifier\gnotify.exe" -url http://mail.google.com/a/YourDomainName.org -mailto %1

Exactly what I'm saying! Note how it's launching GNOTIFY.EXE! I'm saying, how can that be done without a third party application installed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >