Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#313139 - 22/08/2008 13:00 Investing Money?
Redrum
old hand

If you had say $10k to invest in a medium risk short term investment where would you put your money?

#313140 - 22/08/2008 13:04 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
simlock free iphones to sell on ebay smirk
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#313143 - 22/08/2008 15:14 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Redrum
short term investment

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

You might want to define "short term".

#313145 - 22/08/2008 15:50 Re: Investing Money? [Re: canuckInOR]
Redrum
old hand

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
short term investment

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

You might want to define "short term".

To me:

Long term - Retirement or several years

Short Term - Day trading up to two years

#313151 - 23/08/2008 11:23 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

It's impossible to answer a question like this, in general. If short-term means "between now and next week", then that's completely different than "between now and the end of the year", etc.

For a short-term bet over the next few months (and, don't confuse yourself, this is nothing more than gambling), you need to pick some set of what-if scenarios and bet on some side of that coming true. Example: betting that Chrysler might declare bankruptcy in the next few months. A very risky bet. To make that bet, you'd normally short their shares except you can't, because they're privately held. Instead, you need to bet on collateral damage to their employees, suppliers (*), and surrounding communities. Alternately, you would bet on their competition benefiting from such a scenario.

(*) It's unclear whether, for many Chrysler suppliers, they would see the termination of contracts with Chrysler as a bad thing, given how Chrysler's been pushing them on contract terms.

Let me just overemphasize, again, that this is big risk-taking territory, and unless you feel you really understand the particular world where you're making your bet (i.e., you think you know more than the rest of the stock market -- good luck on that), then you might as well take your money to Vegas.

A more typical short-term strategy, assuming that you're going to need this money in, say, two years, for a big purchase, but you're not going to need it any time sooner than that, would be to buy something with very low risk, like a money market account. If you knew more about what the big purchase will be in two years, you could take a hedging strategy against price increases. Example: say you know you're buying your wife an expensive piece of gold jewelry for an upcoming anniversary, two years hence. You could buy IAU (an exchange traded fund that tracks the price of gold). If gold goes up in price, you're covered. If gold goes down in price, you lose money, but that's okay because the jewelry you were planning to buy (hopefully) got cheaper as well.

#313152 - 23/08/2008 11:36 Re: Investing Money? [Re: DWallach]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: DWallach
For a short-term bet over the next few months (and, don't confuse yourself, this is nothing more than gambling), you need to pick some set of what-if scenarios and bet on some side of that coming true.

Because of this, the best advice anybody can give you is to invest in what you know and are familiar with. I am constantly amazed by how wrong the so called expert-analysts are in my field. There is a guy that is quoted in almost every story dealing with my industry. If you went exactly opposite of what he said every time, you'd be right about 90% of the time. I can't say it is like that in every field, only people in those fields can. Just be careful using any inside information in making your choices, that is when it gets ugly. But if something is published and common knowledge that the experts don't pick up on, go for it.

#313154 - 23/08/2008 14:14 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Schido]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: Schido
simlock free iphones to sell on ebay smirk

I'm with Bas on this one. A mate of mine ploughs money into buying whatever the current must have item is, then sells them on ebay. So far he's done this on 360's, PSP's, Wii's and to a lesser extent, PS3's. It's not his primary source of income but he bought most of his Fiat 500 with the proceeds.

Andy M

#313157 - 23/08/2008 23:31 Re: Investing Money? [Re: andym]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: andym
Fiat 500

He's not very successful then?

#313161 - 24/08/2008 09:07 Re: Investing Money? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Given that it was a hobby he did in his spare time around his day job and he did it in 18 months I'd say it was successful.

Andy M

#313162 - 24/08/2008 14:32 Re: Investing Money? [Re: andym]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

A buddy of mine does essentially the same eBay trick with digital cameras. He typically looks for people selling a whole bag of equipment, then resells the individual parts for more than he paid for the whole. He makes enough on this "hobby" to support a growing collection of professional camera gear that his wife might not otherwise allow him to buy.

#313164 - 24/08/2008 21:04 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
Jehovah
new poster

If you had say $10k to invest in a medium risk short term investment where would you put your money?

Let me get this straight, You want to put your money under a rock and then walk away. Then, in a few years you will come back and flip over the rock. And there will be more money under the rock.`

In the meantine, though, you hope that nobody comes along and flips over your rock and takes the money.

Is that correct?

#313167 - 24/08/2008 22:47 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Jehovah]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Oooh, can I get a rock like that?

#313168 - 25/08/2008 06:15 Re: Investing Money? [Re: DWallach]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
He said Jehovah - stone him!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#313170 - 25/08/2008 10:51 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Tim]
Redrum
old hand

Thanks, I think you guys hit on a good point. Knowing the industry I invest in is the key. I don’t know “The Market” and have only made money in it by accident. I do know the “concrete” world a bit better.

Maybe I’ll get back into buying and selling 60’s cars like I did years ago. However I think the market on old cars is very inflated and the bottom is going to fall out soon.

#313173 - 25/08/2008 17:13 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Thanks, I think you guys hit on a good point. Knowing the industry I invest in is the key. I don’t know “The Market” and have only made money in it by accident.

Go take a look at the Motley Fool, then. They have a number of books and resources that are excellent for folks just getting into investing. None of their basic investment philosophy is ground-breaking stuff, nor are they the first to espouse it. They are, however, the first I've found that put it into American English, rather than investo-babble-speak, and they've even made it mildly entertaining.

#313174 - 25/08/2008 18:40 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
If I knew I wasn't going to need the money for a couple of years, I'd probably buy a CD. If I felt I might, I'd open a money-market account. Given that interest rates are so low right now and the difference between CD and MM rates is so small, I might go for the MM either way, in hopes that interest rates would go back up. (Locking in a low interest rate on a deposit account probably doesn't make much sense.)

As you can tell, I don't like gambling.

#313175 - 25/08/2008 20:12 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
WaMu is offering 12-month CDs at 5.x%. Pretty hard to beat unless you want to go high-risk with stocks. Of course WaMu will probably go bankrupt soon but that's another story. They are FDIC insured so you will get your money back if they do.

#313224 - 27/08/2008 01:56 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Try the middle ground between risky stocks and boring CDs: mutual funds. Each fund is a collection of stocks, bonds, etc. Fund managers constantly monitor these portfolios to get the best return. These are less risky because the fund owns enough different stock to survive if a few suddenly drop.

Put the majority of your money in something stable. Put the minority in something risky that you know about, so you can recognize opportunity and risk. Funds are good for 2 years or more, so you'll get a good start at 2 years.

Growth and income funds are rather safe and may provide a steady return. Stocks chosen for these are major corporations and other unglamorous faithfuls.

Index funds follow the major indices (Dow, S&P, etc) and are supposedly better preforming than other funds. Maybe now is the time to buy while the markets are lower.

Value funds are more of a "buy low, sell high" gamble, but could give better returns.

Sector funds let you invest broadly in a single sector - tech, health care, etc. Pick a fund in a sector that you know.

International funds ships your hard earned $$ overseas in hopes that other countries will do more with it than America will. Risky, because who knows when another nation's political tides may change, but could be a great return considering all the production coming from developing markets.

#313244 - 27/08/2008 18:49 Re: Investing Money? [Re: FireFox31]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

There are so many different sorts of mutual funds that it's quite tricky to give investment advice with a two year time horizon. The standard advice (splitting between stocks and bonds, with a bias that scales toward bonds as you grow older) only works for long time horizons. Over twenty years, you can be confident that the market will generally go up. Over the next two years, that's anything but a clear statement.

Instead, if you know that, say, you'd be willing to tolerate the loss of at most 25% of your money, but absolutely no more, then you could consider something like putting half of the money into a money market (very safe, 3-5% return depending on which one you get) and the other half into an S&P500 index fund (where I can say, with absolutely no confidence whatsoever, that a worst-case two year loss of 25% seems like it's in the right ballpark).

#313274 - 28/08/2008 13:24 Re: Investing Money? [Re: DWallach]
Redrum
old hand

Thanks guys I have been thinking about mutual funds since I don't know stocks from socks.

Do you have a good resource for selecting mutual funds?

I can put all $10k at risk.

#313277 - 28/08/2008 14:01 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I've got some with Templeton and some with American Funds.

#313287 - 28/08/2008 15:45 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Robotic]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I used to work for Vanguard. Maybe it's them brainwashing me, but the one notion that stuck with me is to not overlook the fund's expense ratio. Yes, you need to choose how risky you want to be, the balance of stocks/bonds, whether you want index or actively-managed funds, etc. but after all of that, if you have several candidates, pick the one with the lowest expense ratio. Often times, the benefits of a super-duper awesome fund manager who makes all the right decisions can be erased by higher overhead, and you never know when the fund manager will throw a seven. You at least have some idea going in what the expense ratio is, at least historically.

#313294 - 28/08/2008 16:59 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
TigerJimmy
old hand

What you want is a "no-load" market index fund like these.

Diversify the money across the major American, European and Asian markets to protect against regional recessions. You can do this by putting, say 50% into an S&P or Nasdaq index fund, 25% in a European index fund, and 25% into an Asian index fund.

That is, of course, if you don't want to start your own business with the money, which is a far better choice.

Jim

#313295 - 28/08/2008 17:02 Re: Investing Money? [Re: TigerJimmy]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
That is, of course, if you don't want to start your own business with the money, which is a far better choice.

Right, no risk there...

#313296 - 28/08/2008 17:07 Re: Investing Money? [Re: Redrum]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Do you have a good resource for selecting mutual funds?

Right here. Like tonyc suggests, Vanguard has some good funds. So does Fidelity.

#313298 - 28/08/2008 17:15 Re: Investing Money? [Re: canuckInOR]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

FYI, my math above was broken. If you're willing to tolerate a 25% loss of your cash, and you put half your money into the market, then you can tolerate up to a 50% drop in the market.

Anyway, I'm with the crowd on Vanguard. They're all about charging you low fees. They have investment advisors who can help you out. I use Fidelity, because they do my 401(k) and other retirement stuff. Fidelity has low fees on their "Spartan" index funds, but their other stuff charges more. Big surprise. Their advisors, if you go speak to them in person, will try to sell you additional products that make them even more money rather than necessarily making *you* more money. (The one time I thought "what the heck" and scheduled a meeting, they were trying to sell me a weird variable annuity product. You lock your money into their box, they charge you a fee, and they give you a limited menu of funds, which charge more fees. In return, you save some taxes.)

Vanguard is a different beast. They offer a bunch of cheap funds that don't try to be too smart. You want to invest money internationally, right over here. You want small cap value? Over here. You pick the asset allocation you want, and they've got cheap, broad funds that do the rest.

If you were investing a lot more money for a longer time horizon, you might look into DFA (Dimensional Fund Advisors), who take this particular philosophy about as far as it can be taken. The only problem with DFA is that they don't want to deal with retail investors. You either get them through your company's 401(k) or you pony up for an investment advisor, who then charges you a management fee, just to get your money into the damn funds, canceling out much of the low-fee benefits. (Arguably, DFA does this so they can avoid lots of customers shoving money in and out, and thus they can avoid churning the underlying stocks and can keep their fees low. Still annoying.)

#313299 - 28/08/2008 17:31 Re: Investing Money? [Re: tonyc]
TigerJimmy
old hand

He didn't specify no risk. It's only $10k and he's young, so conventional wisdom says that growth potential should supersede risk minimization.

#313301 - 28/08/2008 18:30 Re: Investing Money? [Re: TigerJimmy]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I can understand your point if it was high risk with high payout, but starting your own business often ends up being high risk, break your ass to eke out moderate payout. If you look at the dollars in vs. dollars out in isolation, it might look good, but when you attach a dollar amount in the effort needed to run the business, you're going to tread water for a long time before you see your first real profit.

Besides, $10k is about enough to start a lemonade stand these days, and that's if mom and dad are buying the lemons.

#313302 - 28/08/2008 18:34 Re: Investing Money? [Re: TigerJimmy]
Redrum
old hand

Maybe if I get lucky and get laid off I can start my own business smile. Right now I just don’t seem to have the time (yea everyone always says that). I’m hoping to find something where my money works for me for a change.

I have had successful results with all my past part time ventures. Maybe once I get my race car done, my three old care restored and my storage barn done I’ll have some time.

I did recently buy a saw mill (lumber for the barn) and was thinking about going into custom sawing. However that’s a lot of hard work.

#313303 - 28/08/2008 18:37 Re: Investing Money? [Re: DWallach]
Redrum
old hand

I have a Scottrade account and was hoping to buy through that account. Is that a good idea or should I go with someone else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >