Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#314005 - 12/09/2008 21:54 Fax software
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Several computers ago, I was able to send files as faxes, not to other computers, but to actual fax machines. I don't recall what software I had that let me do that. The fax option just showed up as another system printer that would dial the number and transmit the image as a fax.

I now have internet and VOIP telephone service through a cable modem on a new computer. Can I use my computer to send faxes to fax machines? What special software and/or hardware do I need? I don't need to receive faxes, just send one every once in a while.

Probably be easier to just find someone who'll let me use their fax machine, or e-mail the file to someone with a fax machine...

tanstaafl.

#314006 - 12/09/2008 22:03 Re: Fax software [Re: tanstaafl.]
rubennyc

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Assuming your service lets you use standard telephones (like Vonage), buy yourself a $5 splitter so you can connect a line from the VOIP modem to both your phone and the modem on your PC. Then, it should work the same way it always did.

#314011 - 12/09/2008 23:11 Re: Fax software [Re: rubennyc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
...connect a line from the VOIP modem to both your phone and the modem on your PC. Then, it should work the same way it always did.

Modem on my PC? I don't think there is one. This is a different computer from the one I used to send faxes on.

tanstaafl.

#314012 - 12/09/2008 23:14 Re: Fax software [Re: rubennyc]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
There are services like eFax that will let you send and receive faxes from a computer. There free service is receive only, for which you get a non-local number and they e-mail the faxes to you. For out going they charge, and it is a monthly fee of ~$20, not worth it for hte odd fax.
I mention all this because I assume that there are similar services available from others, one of which might be a pay-by-the-page.