Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#314869 - 10/10/2008 11:42 Alternatives to Winamp
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I like the interface of Winamp a lot, but there are some new features that bug the crap out of me. I am open to alternatives, but don't want to lose some of the nice features I've become used to.

This is how I use Winamp at work:

It sits nicely in the upper right portion (always on top) of my screen with most controls accessible. If I have to take a call, pause is easily at reach. I also like that the mouse scroll wheel controls Winamp's volume when it has focus.

For my uses, Winamp was perfect until recently. I have two major complaints. I can't seem to turn off the update checks. The preferences screen in Winamp has gotten so unwieldy that no matter how much I look, I can't find the option (if it even exists). I also can't stand that every time I insert a USB key, Winamp asks if I want Winamp to manage the music on the drive. This happens every time I insert removable media whether it contains music or not. Again, I cannot see where to turn this off.

I'm basically looking for something that looks like Winamp, but doesn't act like it. Is there a Windows port of XMMS? Are there other programs that can do the same things I like? Should I just download Winamp 2.x?

Attachments
winamp.png

#314871 - 10/10/2008 13:58 Re: Alternatives to Winamp [Re: robricc]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
I use foobar2k on windows, as a simple but powerfull player:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

And have my eye on songbird(multiplatform), looks very promising:

http://getsongbird.com/

Attachments
songbird.jpg

Description: songbird

foobar.jpg

Description: foobar

Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#314872 - 10/10/2008 14:15 Re: Alternatives to Winamp [Re: robricc]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
What we really need is one of us to get off our arse and write a Windows/OSX/Linux music player than works a bit like the empeg...

#314873 - 10/10/2008 15:18 Re: Alternatives to Winamp [Re: Schido]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I can't get Foobar as small as Winamp (at least not yet) and Songbird looked good until it wanted me to add music to its library before playing anything. That's kind-of more involved than I want. With Winamp, I can just drag files from explorer into its playlist.

I like your musical tastes though... wink

#314874 - 10/10/2008 16:30 Re: Alternatives to Winamp [Re: robricc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I just installed Winamp 2.95. That did the trick.

#314876 - 10/10/2008 16:59 Re: Alternatives to Winamp [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: robricc
I just installed Winamp 2.95. That did the trick.

I disliked anything post-Winamp 2.x.

That compact mode is one of the things I always liked most about the program. I guess I don't listen to music on my computer much anymore (aside from right now, coincidentally). I have Foobar installed, but I hate the UI and it has one especially obnoxious behavior: I have all my folders on the left side. When it's expanded the songs are in the correct order, but when I add the songs to the current playlist, apparently all of a sudden it gets confused by the track numbers and does the old 1, 10, 11, 2, 3 thing. It's really annoying.

Anyway, long story short I've simplified my computing life and I merely use VLC to play any and all media. It has no media management (just playlists), but I don't want that (I like my folders). At it's most compact it's about 10 times the size of the most compact Winamp, but I've got 30" of screen to work with smile

*edit*
ps- I love to code HTML while listening to Dragonforce at full volume. Damn I'm so happy to not be working at a law firm anymore. Those tools can suck it.

Edited by Dignan (10/10/2008 17:01)

#315002 - 14/10/2008 18:50 Re: Alternatives to Winamp [Re: Dignan]
crazyplums

Loc: E.Sussex, UK
i've been using winamp for a couple of years now, i did have a proper versions of 2.95 which was brilliant, but when i got my new pc built (after my laptop got beaten to death after one too many crashes) i was unable to retrieve all the files from the lappy hd, so i installed the latest winamp from www.oldversion.com, however, i think i'll go back to the old 2.95 version as i can't see what all the extra mb file size does that is so much better than the old version.