Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#316799 - 01/12/2008 07:11 Honda Fit Navigation System - Mexico update?
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have purchased a new Honda Fit with the factory navigation. When I bought the car, I thought it would be a simple matter to update the map database with Mexico information, but now I am not so sure.

I think the system is made by Pioneer, but am not completely sure, and the software/database may be Honda proprietary.

Does anybody here know about updating the Fit navigation unit?

Sadly, the empeg will not make the transition to the Fit. There don't seem to be reasonable mounting locations for the player or amplifier without compromising the utility (I think I can fit a 10" subwoofer. Maybe.) but the stock stereo does integrate with an iPod (steering wheel controls and data display on the nav unit) and there is an interesting option I will explore where I can plug a compact flash or an SD card into the nav unit and play music from that. Haven't had time to explore that yet, the car is only a week old. Looks like the only car I will have that is empeg compatible is the ShoWagon, and it will only see use in the summer in Alaska.

Anyway... Honda Fit. Navigation. Mexico. Compatible?

tanstaafl.

#316827 - 01/12/2008 17:53 Re: Honda Fit Navigation System - Mexico update? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There's always the display extender option for fitting the empeg. smile

I'm buying a display extender right now, even though I don't need it for the current car. I'm buying it in anticipation of needing it for some future car.

#316841 - 01/12/2008 20:44 Re: Honda Fit Navigation System - Mexico update? [Re: tfabris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: tfabris
There's always the display extender option for fitting the empeg. smile

I'm buying a display extender right now, even though I don't need it for the current car. I'm buying it in anticipation of needing it for some future car.

Hmm... I'm tempted to do this as well, but then again, I hope that some 'future car' of mine will have a car-PC, so then I might be able to run the empeg via weblite.

Sorry, Doug- I don't have any info for you about a Mexico update. I was going to suggest going to the Fit forums, but I see in a google search that you've already done that!

#316847 - 02/12/2008 01:42 Re: Honda Fit Navigation System - Mexico update? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
the only car I will have that is empeg compatible is the ShoWagon

I thought you totaled that.

#316867 - 02/12/2008 14:35 Re: Honda Fit Navigation System - Mexico update? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
I thought you totaled that.

Oh, it's totaled, all right, in that the repairs will cost at least five times what I could sell it for after the repairs are done. That's not going to stop me from fixing it, though. The car is quite literally irreplaceable, one of perhaps 10 ever built, and there are probably only one or two still running.

In this case, rarity doesn't translate into dollar value. There are not many nut cases like me who want a 16 year old hopped up "sleeper" station wagon with a big-bucks stealth-installed stereo system. Nonetheless, I would have to pay at least six times what the repairs are going to cost me to purchase a new car with the same degree of performance, luxury, and economy of operation. That car is much more than just transportation to me.

tanstaafl.