Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#316829 - 01/12/2008 18:01 Cable internet - no computer near modem?
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Here's a question for those more well versed in these things than I am...

I'm switching from a Earthlink DSL connection to a Comcast cable connection. In my home office where my "main" computer is is where the DSL modem and my wireless router are. There is no cable (Comcast) connection there.

Now, can I connect the new cable modem directly to my router in another room and have it work that way? Must I have the computer connected directly to the modem? The DSL system doesn't work that way. Right now it is hardwired as such:

PHONE LINE-DLS MODEM - ROUTER - COMPUTER

|~~~~wireless~~~~ to all the other gizmos

I'd like the new setup to be:

CABLE LINE-CABLE MODEM-ROUTER~~~wireless to everything

Can that be managed? I can have a laptop set everything up via a direct connection if need be. Thanks for the tips!

P.S. I feel guilty always asking for help around here! If anyone wants any advice regarding the airlines, please ask away!

#316830 - 01/12/2008 18:04 Re: Cable internet - no computer near modem? [Re: petteri]
drakino
carpal tunnel

That setup should be fine. The router will act as the computer attached to the modem to keep the signal alive and grab whatever public IP your provider gives you, and then all the computers and other devices will be assigned a private ip and work the same as they do now.

The laptop will be useful for connecting into the router via ethernet if wireless setup is needed, and can't be done wirelessly. Some base stations (like the Apple Airports) do allow setup even from scratch over wireless, but others may not.

#316832 - 01/12/2008 18:06 Re: Cable internet - no computer near modem? [Re: petteri]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
GF just did the exact same thing (Earthlink DSL->Comcast Cable) herself.

You do not need your computer to be directly connected to anything. The cable modem is like any other internet gateway. Her connection is like this:

Wall plug->
Cable Modem->
Wireless router.
Then she connects all ethernet gizmos wirelessly.

She does have VOIP telephone service as well, and the VOIP decoder box has to be plugged into the wired portion of the network somewhere near the cable modem, but I don't think that's what you were asking about.

#316833 - 01/12/2008 18:20 Re: Cable internet - no computer near modem? [Re: tfabris]
petteri
addict

Ahh, instant gratification! Thanks guys!

I've got an Apple Time machine that I'm going to now use as my router so the wireless setup may come in handy. The DSL service from Earthlink has just gotten unbearable. The connection drops almost everyday and calls to India are almost useless.

#316846 - 02/12/2008 01:33 Re: Cable internet - no computer near modem? [Re: petteri]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
My installer was by the book. Him hooking the cable modem to the router would have triggered a monthly home networking charge.

I wound up having him leave with just the "one computer" attached directly to the modem. I then reconnecting everything the way I desired. (Modem>router>various-devices)

I did have to do two things, remove the Comcast software that had been installed on the "one computer", and configure the router to spoof the MAC address of the "one computer".

#316856 - 02/12/2008 10:26 Re: Cable internet - no computer near modem? [Re: gbeer]
petteri
addict

I opted for the self install. They are charging me $9.95 for me to do the work.

Can I send the invoice to the IRS for a tax deduction? wink