Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#318413 - 23/01/2009 22:51 So, Comcast sends me this cheery message...
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Should I take this to mean that I have a compromised machine, or are they just doing their thing.

Quote:
Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Action Taken: In an effort to help prevent spam and ensure the security of our network and customers, Comcast has modified your modem’s settings to prevent the sending of email on port 25. That is the default port email programs such as Outlook Express use to send email. We’ve taken this action because we may have detected virus-like activity from your modem or received reports from other email providers that mail from your modem generated complaints from their users. Please read this message to understand how this action may impact your ability to send email and what you should do next.

Comcast Webmail Users
If you use a web browser to access your Comcast.net email, this action will not affect your ability to send or receive e-mail. This action also does not affect any non-Comcast webmail services.

Email Program Users (Outlook Express, Outlook, MacMail, etc.)
If you use an email program, this action will disable your program’s ability to send email until you change your email program settings to send email on port 587. Port 587 uses authentication and is an industry-recommended alternative to port 25. If you use Outlook Express and Comcast.net email, Comcast has provided a simple one click fix for you to use with Internet Explorer. If you use another email program such as MacMail, Eudora, or Thunderbird, please visit our client page for information on how to change the settings for sending email in your email program.

If you are not using Comcast.net email and use another email provider, please contact your provider for its recommended port settings. Most email providers offer an alternative to port 25 for sending email.

All Users

To help protect your security and privacy, it is important to regularly check for and remove any possible viruses from your computer. You can do this using the McAfee Antivirus and Firewall software available from Comcast to subscribers at no additional charge or by using other popular antivirus solutions that are widely available. In addition, Comcast recommends that you secure any wireless network in the home and that the operating systems on your computers be updated regularly with the latest security enhancements. Please visit the Comcast.net security channel for more information and tips on how to enjoy a safe and secure online experience.

If you have additional questions please visit (www.comcast.net/help).

Thank you for choosing Comcast!

Sincerely,
Comcast Customer Security Assurance

#318414 - 23/01/2009 23:54 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: gbeer]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: gbeer
Should I take this to mean that I have a compromised machine, or are they just doing their thing.

While I have very little affection or regard for Comcast, my immediate reaction to this would be to pay more attention to the first possibility (Comcast is not *always* wrong), then beef Comcast if you conclude that they are out of whack. Switching to auth'd SMTP would be a Good Thing if you can do it, but it *would* be interesting to know if Comcast's systems did not suck (were correct) in this case.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#318416 - 24/01/2009 00:03 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: jimhogan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Comcast has done this on a large percentage (perhaps all) of their customers' equipment as a preventative measure. It's not because of anything you've done.

Being one of if not the largest ISP in the country, they get a lot of spammers using their service.

This is a good thing, IMO. Comcast will likely have to spend millions on support calls from confused customers, but I think they're doing the right thing. I don't agree with many of their practices, but I think this one's good.

#318417 - 24/01/2009 00:34 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: Dignan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Comcast has done this on a large percentage (perhaps all) of their customers' equipment as a preventative measure. It's not because of anything you've done.

Being one of if not the largest ISP in the country, they get a lot of spammers using their service.

This is a good thing, IMO. Comcast will likely have to spend millions on support calls from confused customers, but I think they're doing the right thing. I don't agree with many of their practices, but I think this one's good.

I agree that it is a good thing overall, but if Comcast mass-mailed a letter that said:

"We’ve taken this action because we may have detected virus-like activity from your modem or received reports from other email providers that mail from your modem generated complaints from their users.

and that really wasn't the case at all (that it is just a mass mailing) then I think that is really awful. Deceitful. They should have just yelled "Achtung! No more unauth'd SMTP! Switch ports! Now!"

I say awful because that wording could reasonably send lots of people into a panic. I hope this wasn't the case...that it was actually based on specifics. Comcast sucks.

#318418 - 24/01/2009 01:40 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: jimhogan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jimhogan

I agree that it is a good thing overall, but if Comcast mass-mailed a letter that said:

"We’ve taken this action because we may have detected virus-like activity from your modem or received reports from other email providers that mail from your modem generated complaints from their users.

and that really wasn't the case at all (that it is just a mass mailing) then I think that is really awful. Deceitful. They should have just yelled "Achtung! No more unauth'd SMTP! Switch ports! Now!"

I say awful because that wording could reasonably send lots of people into a panic. I hope this wasn't the case...that it was actually based on specifics. Comcast sucks.

That's just it. The message is so wonderfully ambiguous. I would like to find out if any of my machines have been broken before resorting to 'slash and burn' fixes.

edit: To Add, None of my machines should be originating email traffic. (I use gmail pretty much exclusively) So having port 25 blocked isn't much harm.

Still I want to know. So it's off to google to find out how to detect SMTP traffic in my local net.

Edited by gbeer (24/01/2009 01:46)

#318420 - 24/01/2009 01:58 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: gbeer]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

#318424 - 24/01/2009 03:15 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: jimhogan]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

#318425 - 24/01/2009 03:20 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: jimhogan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I use Comcast for my cable TV and AT&T DSL for my Internet connection. Comcast was calling me on a regular basis, during dinner hours, to try to sell me on switching to them for Internet and phone service. I finally got fet up and said "take me off your list. Stop calling me."

"But sir, as our customer, we have a right to call you."

"Stop. Calling. Me."

"Okay, sir, it make take a few days for this to get through our system."

I only use Comcast because they provide content that my Tivo-HD can digest. They decided to "upgrade" my cablecard, which required me to drive with the thing over to one of their offices, where I spent an hour in a queue. This contrasts with DirecTV, who just mails you a new smartcard and doesn't care about the old one.

Basically, give me a "real" Tivo with DirecTV service, and I'll be happy to leave Comcast.

#318430 - 24/01/2009 03:57 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Basically, give me a "real" Tivo with DirecTV service, and I'll be happy to leave Comcast.

Or hopefully you'll get FIOS in your area. I've got a Series 3 Tivo with two cablecards, and I love it.

#318431 - 24/01/2009 04:00 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

FIOS? Not likely. In Texas, Verizon is strictly a cellular phone vendor. Landlines come strictly from AT&T (nee Southwestern Bell). AT&T has this bonkers U-Verse thing (cable TV over IP), where you have to use their magic DVRs, and you're now sharing your Internet connection with your TV. Watch more TV and your connection slows down.

#318432 - 24/01/2009 04:12 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

In Texas, Verizon is strictly a cellular phone vendor.

I'm not sure that's the case for the entire state, but you're probably right about most of it. I'm pretty sure that one of the big FIOS locations is in Texas.

*edit*
Yup, San Antonio is a big FIOS area, I believe, where they get a lot of the speed increases first. It also appears to be big in Dallas, of course, but also pops up in a few other locations like Houston and Austin. Pretty much the big cities like you'd expect:

http://www.dslreports.com/gmaps/fios

Edited by Dignan (24/01/2009 04:16)

#318433 - 24/01/2009 05:34 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

Wait a year. I am.

#318434 - 24/01/2009 05:42 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Yup, San Antonio is a big FIOS area, I believe, where they get a lot of the speed increases first. It also appears to be big in Dallas, of course, but also pops up in a few other locations like Houston and Austin.

Huh! Further investigation seems to indicate that you can get Verizon FIOS, in some of the Houston suburbs, but not anywhere near me, which is purely an AT&T / Comcast universe.

And, for the Tivo/DirecTV box, I'll believe it when it's real. The big question is whether it will have feature parity with standard series-3 Tivos, or whether they'll nuke extraction or Netflix or whatever else.

Edited by DWallach (24/01/2009 05:43)

#318436 - 24/01/2009 06:17 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Thats the first I've heard of FIOS in Austin, and of course the linking page is down, along with most discussions about it.

There are parts of Austin served by fiber from a local company, and parts by AT&T. If Verizon is also moving in, maybe the competition will result in some really nice deals. Already my Time Warner cable internet has seen a decent jump in speed over the past 3 years (22mbit currently, up form ~6 when I got here).

#318437 - 24/01/2009 07:08 Re: So, Comcast sends me this cheery message... [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
Thats the first I've heard of FIOS in Austin, and of course the linking page is down, along with most discussions about it.

I only posted that page to show that FIOS does exist in Texas. Its availability in more specific cases is very hit or miss, and depends on whether they have the lines in your street or not. Northern Virginia is a big FIOS area, but there's still plenty of places around here that can't get it. This tool has been pretty accurate for all the times I've tried it for various people.

I've been very pleased with FIOS as a service, but I'm glad I haven't had to call for support more than a couple times. Verizon has terrible support.