Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#322145 - 10/05/2009 02:39 Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used!
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Saw it Friday. It's worth a viewing.

Click to reveal..
This movie uses a Romulan villain (named Nemo of all things) traveling back in time to get vengeance on Spock for failing to save the home planet Romulus.

It basically reboots the Trek universe, starting with how Kirk gets to be the youngest captain is Starfleet history and gives Paramount the ability to write new stories unbound by any previous dogma.

We may be seeing the genesis of a new Star Trek series.

#322147 - 10/05/2009 05:46 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: gbeer]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yeah. SWMBO and I watched it last night. We both really enjoyed it. Good action sequences, just enough humour. It looks like a good implementation of a series reboot. It'll be interesting to see if it leads to more...

#322151 - 10/05/2009 12:44 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: Roger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Yeah. I saw it last night and I thought it was pretty good.

You've got the name of the evil guy wrong BTW...

#322154 - 11/05/2009 00:07 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Do they explain why Kirk is blond?

I don't think Paramount would have put together the current implementation if they didn't plan to serialize it.

#322164 - 11/05/2009 14:37 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: hybrid8]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
According to wikipedia (crazy) the major cast members are all signed to do two sequels, and they are working on the script for the next one. I personally can't see Paramount taking this back to TV. I'm betting they keep it in movies.

I personally only had two problems with the movie.
Click to reveal..
I thought Chekov's accent was over the top. They got the gag in with authenticating "wictor wictor", but it felt like they were trying to hard with it for the rest of the movie.

My second issue is a problem with myself. I walked out saddened by the loss of the original universe. I need to convince myself that this is now a new "parallel universe", and the old one still exists. wink

Other than those I loved the movie.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#322165 - 11/05/2009 15:07 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: Waterman981]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Oh, when I said serialize I meant a series of movies, rather than a TV show. I think we'll see a new ST for TV at some point in the future, but not likely in the next couple of years.

#322166 - 11/05/2009 15:09 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I haven't seen it yet, looking forward to going to see it some time this week.

A friend of mine wrote this review in their blog...

Quote:
Star Trek.

That was like really good, rough sex. The kind where you're getting bent over a kitchen counter because you can't wait to get to a bed, and the hair-pulling and the biting are at EXACTLY the right amount of ow-but-not, and when you're done, you're sore but you have a big, stupid grin because it was Just. That. Good.

And then you go home and do it again, because you can.

#322168 - 11/05/2009 16:31 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Overall, I liked it, and have seen it twice now. Opening night at the Alamo Ritz proved to be an entertaining crowd. They even brought in an improv group for the preshow.

Click to reveal..
The only big issue for me (beyond the unnecessary lens flare) was their attempt at integrating the story. Trek is already a mess with alternate universes, multiple timelines, and so on. Kinda like their attempt to "hand off" the movies from the TOS crew to the TNG crew by looping in Kirk. I would have been fine with just a complete reboot with no ties to the previous shows/movies.

Oh, and Romulan Ale > Klingon Blood Wine. (From the Star Trek themed menu).

#322170 - 11/05/2009 17:42 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: hybrid8]
Waterman981
old hand

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Oh, when I said serialize I meant a series of movies, rather than a TV show. I think we'll see a new ST for TV at some point in the future, but not likely in the next couple of years.

Gotcha! You're probably right, we will see Trek back on TV, but it won't be for quite a while as you said.

#040103696 on a shelf

#322188 - 11/05/2009 21:35 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

There's also this.

#322189 - 11/05/2009 21:40 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
There's also this.

I clicked on that link then quickly closed the window -- does it need a Spolier tag? smile

Edit: I guess I should trust your judgement on that, apologies if my first instincts to close the window were wrong.

Edited by AndrewT (11/05/2009 21:42)

#322192 - 11/05/2009 23:35 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Do they explain why Kirk is blond?

Kirk was always blond. Er Dishwater Blond.

Though Shatner himself may be legally blond. smirk

#322193 - 11/05/2009 23:41 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: tman]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman
You've got the name of the evil guy wrong BTW...

Was wrong. Spoiler alert: Wikipedia is full of spoilers.

That may well be so. My hearing doesn't work so well when there is a lot of background noise.

Edited by gbeer (11/05/2009 23:43)

#322200 - 12/05/2009 10:35 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
A friend of mine wrote this review in their blog...

Quote:
Star Trek.

That was like really good, rough sex. The kind where you're getting bent over a kitchen counter because you can't wait to get to a bed, and the hair-pulling and the biting are at EXACTLY the right amount of ow-but-not, and when you're done, you're sore but you have a big, stupid grin because it was Just. That. Good.

And then you go home and do it again, because you can.

I think that's a rather tenuous comparison. Certainly not something that would make me want to see the film, nor does it really disseminate any useful info regarding it. You could say typical 'blog' content. smile

I have, however, seen the film and the first thing I wanted to do afterwards was go and watch the original 5 films. It really ignited my interest in the franchise again. Although I don't think I'd want to see any of the series again. TNG when shown on the BBC always looked 'soft' to the point where it was pretty much unwatchable for me. Damn you Americans with your NTSC!

The film I cannot wait for is T4. I absolutely loved the first two, felt completely screwed over by the third. So I'm hoping Shouty McMom Beater does a good job this time.

Andy M

#322202 - 12/05/2009 12:12 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: gbeer]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I don't think this film is going to possibly rise to my expectations at this point. I kind of feel like I did when I went to see Dark Knight- except that one did live up. Hopefully I can make it to the movies this weekend so I can stop avoiding spoilers.

#322221 - 13/05/2009 04:33 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: gbeer]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Haven't seen it yet, but will soon enough.

Meanwhile, I just saw this (weird) interview.

#322239 - 14/05/2009 13:34 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: Robotic]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Saw the film. All I can say, sans spoilers, is that the film was stupid fun. If you try to think too hard about it, like if you ask yourself whether you buy any of the coincidences or if you try to do the slightest amount of analysis of military strategy/tactics... just forget about it. Instead, Star Trek is all about going back to the original characters and romping around with them for a while. They gratuitously have the Star Trek characters saying things that we all know are catchphrases from the TV show (e.g., Bones to Spock: "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?" or "I'm a doctor, not a XXX.") Kirk is precisely the womanizer you'd expect him to be.

Pretty much my only complaint is that they followed the shaky-cam style of film-making, which made the fight scenes very difficult to watch, particularly as I was in the third-row of an IMAX theater. When the action got moving, it was all just a complete blur.

As to Terminator 4, I dunno. I'm following the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and they're certainly worth watching (hey, anything involving Summer Glau kicking ass is worth watching), but I'm not sure about the film. The previews make it seem like they're borrowing a lot of footage from the Transformers.

#322241 - 14/05/2009 14:04 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: DWallach]
andym
carpal tunnel

What's the scoop SCC series 3? I thought there was supposed to be some announcement in May about whether it was going to be renewed or not.

Andy M

#322243 - 14/05/2009 17:00 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

My one fault is that there was way too much lens flare used. There are interviews with J. J. Abrams and they all say that he intentionally did them all to make it the shots seem more busy and bigger". He actually had somebody shining lights into the camera to do them.

#322244 - 14/05/2009 17:11 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andym]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

It appears that E! was having some kind of vote-to-save-your-favorite-show poll thing and that T:SCC won (relevant blog posts). Not that it particularly means anything to have won.

#322246 - 14/05/2009 19:13 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: DWallach]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
It appears that E! was having some kind of vote-to-save-your-favorite-show poll thing and that T:SCC won (relevant blog posts). Not that it particularly means anything to have won.

I'll have to keep my fingers crossed then. Maybe some of the hype surrounding T4 will rub off on them.

Andy M

#322247 - 14/05/2009 20:18 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andym]
Waterman981
old hand

I'm with Dan. I'm not sure about T4. I definitely love the universe they've developed with TSCC. I hope it gets a 3rd season, but it's sounding like it's a long shot.

#040103696 on a shelf

#322248 - 14/05/2009 22:04 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: Waterman981]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

And, of course, they left us with a hell of a cliffhanger at the end of season 2...

#322249 - 14/05/2009 22:32 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: DWallach]
andym
carpal tunnel

To not resolve that cliffhanger would be so annoying. It certainly had more to it than the end of S1.

Andy M

#322402 - 19/05/2009 16:42 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andym]
andym
carpal tunnel

Andy M

#322406 - 19/05/2009 17:35 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Lots of axes dropping at all the US networks. NBC has to kill off quite a bit in order to have Jay Leno on five nights per week for instance.

I can't believe that Heroes is coming back at NBC and that Fox still feels 24 does anything for them. Two shows I watch but wouldn't mind a bit to see go away.

The way the networks are moving right now, I think a future Star Trek show would most definitely have to be a syndicated affair as TNG was. But even then, I don't know how the budget could be kept low enough and production quality high enough to make it a worthwhile venture. Maybe the TV landscape will completely change in the next 5 years and it can be made to fit and make some sense.

Maybe if they replace some of the bridge crew with a SuperNanny, and a couple of fat bastards trying to lose 1000lbs between them. Oh, and a compliment duo whore/manwhore giving out roses. Maybe that can be a recurring villain's role.

#322418 - 19/05/2009 21:04 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: gbeer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I saw it today and really enjoyed it, as other people have said it was a great romp. There was the odd clunky moment, where big chunks of plot development were executed in milliseconds, rather than the minutes you might have expected. They did certainly keep things moving along at a pace though.

I saw it at the IMAX screen at Waterloo, they first time I've ever seen a "normal" film at an IMAX cinema. I have to say I was very impressed, it is a great way to see a film.

I have to agree about Chekov, he was just a little too jokey for my liking, especially with the level of humour other characters were injecting into the film. I expected Simon Pegg as Scotty to be car-crash-watch-between-your-fingers-cringe-making, but it worked out ok in the end. He was a little over the top, but still enjoyable.

I've been avoiding going to the cinema for the last few years, the last film I saw was Dark Knight and I can't remember the film I saw in the cinema before that. After seeing ST, I've realised why I have been avoiding the cinema.

The reason was poor CGI, by poor I mean the over use of CGI that just wasn't quite good enough to be seamless. I saw too many films where I spent the whole film spotting the joins between the CGI and the live action.

When we got to the end credits of ST I realised that I hadn't spotted a single join, all the CGI was completely seamless. Is this typically for films now or is ST just particularly well done ? I notice that ILM were in charge of effects, but then some of the most annoying CGI that I saw before stopping going to the cinema came from them...

I guess it helps because they didn't have any crowd scenes to deal with. Those where the places in previous films where the CGI has been particularly jarring for me.

#322420 - 19/05/2009 21:13 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

CGI is still hit or miss with movies these days. Star Trek was well done and never really distracted me. Wolverine on the other hand had varying degrees of quality in it, from complete crap to almost unnoticeable.

#322423 - 19/05/2009 21:25 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The CGI work in Star Trek was definitely well done. Better than most.

Something interesting to note: Whereever obvious CGI has bothered you in the past, you might not have noticed an equal number of CGI effects that were so seamless you didn't know they were an effect at all.

I've seen CGI effects that were so well done that I only learned about them long after-the-fact. Or realized only after thinking about it that they must have been an effect because there would have been no other way to do it.

It tends to be spotty; in a given film you might get a bunch of great shots and a bunch of crappy shots. It's very hit or miss. These days so many shots are farmed out to smaller companies, that any given film might have a dozen different CGI studios working on shots for the same film.

One shot in Trek that bugged me was the standard CGI effect that they always seem to have in every sci-fi movie these days...

Click to reveal..
During the fight on the drilling platform, Sulu is forced to swordfight a Romulan. He pulls a hand-sized object out of his space suit which unfolds into a full sword.

That "transformers" kind of effect, where machinery unfolds into something larger and stronger than its original volume, or parts appear out of thin air where there doesn't appear to be any mechanical support for the parts, has always rubbed me the wrong way. Even when it's done incredibly well in terms of the visuals (the shot in Trek was seamless), I have to work hard to actively suspend my disbelief, and it pulls me out of the movie experience.

#322424 - 19/05/2009 21:39 Re: Star Trek Movie, Spoiler tags used! [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The CGI work in Star Trek was definitely well done. Better than most.

Something interesting to note: Whereever obvious CGI has bothered you in the past, you might not have noticed an equal number of CGI effects that were so seamless you didn't know they were an effect at all.

I've seen CGI effects that were so well done that I only learned about them long after-the-fact. Or realized only after thinking about it that they must have been an effect because there would have been no other way to do it.

It tends to be spotty; in a given film you might get a bunch of great shots and a bunch of crappy shots. It's very hit or miss.

I'd agree with all that, but it make no difference how many excellent effects shots there are in a film if there are also jarring ones, it just ruins the whole experience when you can see any joins.

I've just remembered the last films I saw before Dark Knight, it was the LotR trilogy. Those three films were very good films and I enjoyed them a lot. However despite the huge amount of seamless CGI in them they also had plenty of jarring moments through out. I had to actively choose to ignore them to get through them.

The LotR films also had another technique that I'd forgotten about, moving the camera very quickly to disguise the fact that the CGI in the background of the shot isn't quite up to close inspection. Thankfully despite ST's rapid pace, there wasn't too much of that.