Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#323730 - 25/06/2009 17:52 What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm being forced to switch from Qwest DSL to Comcast cable-modem because the new address into which I'm moving doesn't have DSL available.

Until now, I've been only peripherally paying attention to the news reports that Comcast was clamping down on Torrent customers. Now suddenly I wish I'd been actually paying attention.

I'm not much of a Torrent guy, but I'm moving in with someone who *is*, and I want to know what's going to happen to us when we put him on the line. Are we going to get cut off, or turned over to the feds, or what?

Another wrinkle in this equation is that I still want to depend on him keeping his nice high-ratio accounts to grab the occasional TV show for the household... Comcast doesn't give me Top Gear at my current tier of subscription, and I can't afford to go up to the next tier. And I think I'd die if I missed a Doctor Who.

So what's my outlook? Anyone know?

#323731 - 25/06/2009 18:48 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Comcast currently has a monthly 250GB cap, and this includes upstream. Blow it once, and you are warned. Go over again, and they cut you off.

I'm not sure what they do when they receive MPAA or RIAA nastygrams.

#323733 - 25/06/2009 19:31 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

This is good information, thanks.

It seems they tweaked that 250GB number to weed out the warez kiddies while leaving most other folks untouched.

I supposed you could hit it if you streamed netflix constantly, but I'm not planning to do that.

#323734 - 25/06/2009 20:08 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Wow, Tom. I knew of the 250GB cap, but I didn't know that included upstream. That's going to be tough for your roommate, Tony, since in order to keep that nice ratio of his, he'll be using more upstream than down.

On the whole, though, I agree with many that 250GB is actually pretty reasonable. However, I think it's only reasonable right now. In the future, I see a lot more content becoming IP based, and I think the ISPs are really preparing to price gouge us when that happens. Between VOIP, AppleTV, Netflix's expanding library, XBox's online marketplace, and services like OnLive, I can definitely see that limit being reached, and reached legally.

Thank goodness you don't have Time Warner Cable, Tony.

Do you not have FIOS in your area? I can testify that it rocks.

#323736 - 25/06/2009 20:39 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Do you not have FIOS in your area? I can testify that it rocks.

Area, maybe. That neighborhood, no.

That really confuses me, too, because that neighborhood is an established neighborhood within city limits. I don't have any idea why it's all dial-up out there.

In fact, my old address and the new address are essentially along the same basic main thoroughfare running northward from downtown. And the new address is closer to downtown than the old address. Old address is slightly to the East of SR99 at 130th street, new address is slightly to the West of SR99 at 112th street. I genuinely expected to have DSL or fiber at higher speeds than what I was already getting. I'm flabbergasted.

#323737 - 25/06/2009 20:40 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I hope I never have to deal with any of that kind of crap. Mediacom doesn't have a cap yet and they have been good about raising speeds while keeping the price the same. I don't really download much of anything but the caps seem unfair. Isn't digital cable using bandwith too are they going to charge by the hour for tv next. I would guess the caps are more to keep people from dumping cable tv and streaming from hulu or netflix.

Matt

#323739 - 25/06/2009 21:09 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I'm not big into using torrent's. Is there any legitimate and legal purpose they serve?

If not I would say the establishment, in what ever form, will slowly tighten and we shouldn't be surprised when it happens.

And if I were running an SP, and I had users busting 250Gb a month I'd kick them off too. I know how much it would be hurting my bottom line to have too many users like that on my network.

Just like death and taxes, the only other thing in life that is certain is that pirates will always come up with new ways of distribution.

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cris (25/06/2009 21:10)

#323741 - 25/06/2009 21:35 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm not big into using torrent's. Is there any legitimate and legal purpose they serve?

I have seen legitimate uses for Torrents, yes. I would agree that they are mostly used to share very large illegal files, but I've seen them used to share large *legal* files as well.

I have a couple of specific legal examples I've seen Torrents used for.

1. I've seen torrents used for distributing legal ISO images of open-source software and operating systems such as Linux distributions.

2. I've personally retrieved a torrent of a VMWare machine image of a linux distro that ran multiple different browsers, for the purpose of testing your web site on a bunch of old browsers for compatibility.

3. Vixy puts some MP3 recordings of her songs up on her web site for anyone to download. When one of her songs got suddenly popular due to being posted on a widely-read Browncoat message board, her home-hosted web server (well, its DSL connection) got brought to its knees. In order to allow the song files to continue to be downloaded, they converted them to torrents to spread the load among everybody who was doing the downloading (really the main purpose of a torrent in the first place).

I admit that my desired use for torrents would be to grab TV show episodes that I shouldn't be able to grab (new episodes of Doctor Who and Top Gear that I can't get any other way because I don't live in the UK). But that's still a bit different than warez and DVD rips.

#323742 - 25/06/2009 21:46 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Thank goodness you don't have Time Warner Cable, Tony.

TWC, at least in my area, has "Business Class" service. (I have the "Teleworker" service.) It's significantly more expensive, but you get a static IP, quick and non-idiotic tech support, and no ridiculous usage limits. (I'm sure they have a no-spam provision and so forth.)

I don't like TWC at all, but I've had basically zero problems with TWCBC. Occasionally I even realize my speeds have been upgraded without any cost increase.

#323743 - 25/06/2009 21:52 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yes, Comcast offers business class service as well. If I could get confirmation that they don't put bandwidth caps on their business class service, it might be worth investigating.

#323744 - 25/06/2009 21:58 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

When I signed up for this service years ago, I had to call and speak to a salesperson on the phone. She was very friendly and knowledgeable about the plans, and what she didn't know she found out for me. Comcast may be different, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also had professional inside sales people who will get you that information.

#323745 - 25/06/2009 21:58 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: tfabris
But that's still a bit different than warez and DVD rips.

Ummmm, please explain why stealing from the UK tax payer is any different from stealing from a software manufacturer or movie studio. Are there a different set of laws for this content?

It is not free for me in the UK to watch Top Gear or Dr Who, I am legally bound to pay a TV licence. I have no option but to pay this if I own a TV set, even if I don't watch the BBC and just watch DVDs I still have to pay the licence. It's not a subscription it's a form of tax on me. The BBC sells it's content worldwide to further off set the production cost so I get a better quality program to watch, so if it's legally available in your country on subscription I don't see why you apply a different set of rules to it.

People are regularly prosecuted and sometimes even jailed in the UK for not paying their TV licence, the same punishment can't be said for people downloading Top Gear on Torrent. Fair ???

Don't get me wrong everyone does it, just interested in your rational.

Cheers

Cris.

Edit - BTW good points on the legal use of Torrents, I guess sharing large files still is a pain in the ass on the internet.

Edited by Cris (25/06/2009 22:03)
Edit Reason: I missed a point I wanted to make.

#323746 - 25/06/2009 22:22 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Cris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Originally Posted By: Cris
BTW good points on the legal use of Torrents, I guess sharing large files still is a pain in the ass on the internet.
There's also everyone's favorite instant music collection from the good folks of SXSW.

On the topic of UK television licenses...

What if I had a large screen hooked only to my media computer? Is it then still a 'television'?

#323747 - 25/06/2009 22:30 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Robotic]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Not yet, but they're working on it...

At the moment anything mains powered with a TV tuner in it is classed as a TV, and legally requires a license for the premises in which it is used, although there are some caveats to this I can't be bothered to look up at this time of night wink

The BBC was bitching about more and more people using the net to stream TV to a computer, and there has been a lot of mumbling about requiring a computer license to make up the costs lost to TV licensing.

pca

#323750 - 25/06/2009 22:39 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: pca]
tman
carpal tunnel

If you don't have a license, they just automatically assume you're avoiding paying for a TV that you must obviously have somewhere and so they constantly send you scary letters.

Also when you buy a TV, they're supposed to note down your details and forward it onto the TV licensing agency.

There was some exception where if the TV was portable and solely battery powered then it'd count under your main residences license or something like that...

#323751 - 25/06/2009 22:40 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Much like any file transfer protocol, there are plenty of legitimate and illegitimate activities using torrents. Outside the uses already discussed, I've heard of a major university in the EU using torrents to speed up patch distribution across their large network. Instead of 20 dedicated servers, they reduced it to 2, and used a small bit of disk space on every client to push updates at night. Blizzard also uses torrents for the distribution of World of Warcraft, as well as their classic games downloaded from their store. Torrenting for them allows the load balancing to happen automatically to all their various CDN systems.

And Tony, Top Gear is now on the iTunes store. Season 13 isn't there yet, but I hope they do start putting the shows up soon after the UK air date. It's something I'd gladly pay for via the iTunes season pass.

#323753 - 25/06/2009 22:56 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: Cris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

With respect to being an American downloading Top Gear via BitTorrent (which I am), I offer the following rationale.

I do pay for my cable TV service which includes BBC America, which does air Top Gear. Right now, they're airing a mix of seasons 10-12. There is no announcement as to the availability of season 13. As such, I *am* paying for a legal BBC service that does include the show in question. It's just not the current season. Furthermore, we don't get BBC America in HD. The torrent feed is higher quality than what I can get from my Comcast feed.

I will also state, for the record, that if there was a legal way that I could *pay* for Top Gear Season 13, I'd do it, but no such mechanism exists. Not even the iTunes Store has it (they only go up to the end of Season 12).

#323754 - 25/06/2009 23:00 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: DWallach]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
I do pay for my cable TV service which includes BBC America, which does air Top Gear. Right now, they're airing a mix of seasons 10-12. There is no announcement as to the availability of season 13. As such, I *am* paying for a legal BBC service that does include the show in question. It's just not the current season.

If you bought 2 copies of season 12 off iTunes, would you be justified in downloading season 13 from elsewhere?

#323755 - 25/06/2009 23:07 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: DWallach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Furthermore, we don't get BBC America in HD. The torrent feed is higher quality than what I can get from my Comcast feed.

Top Gear isn't shot in HD, with the exception of one of their specials a season or two back. Though I'm sure the quality difference is easy to achieve, as I doubt BBCA is on the high priority list for low compression on most networks.

#323756 - 25/06/2009 23:45 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: drakino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: drakino
Furthermore, we don't get BBC America in HD.

Top Gear isn't shot in HD

Really? It's definitely shot/broadcast in a widescreen format. Dunno the bitrate, but it looks HD to me.

#323759 - 25/06/2009 23:57 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Top Gear, as broadcast on BBC America via Comcast Houston, is letterboxed and over-compressed, so the effective resolution is quite poor. What I get through the torrent feeds is much, much better (e.g., 624x352 pixels on the season 13, episode 1 torrent).

#323760 - 26/06/2009 01:00 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: drakino
Top Gear isn't shot in HD

Really? It's definitely shot/broadcast in a widescreen format. Dunno the bitrate, but it looks HD to me.

It is widescreen and has been for a while, but only the polar special was shot in HD. Though I can't find any confirmation either way about series 13, as it was believed it would start soon in HD. The budget cuts may have pushed it off a but longer.

#323762 - 26/06/2009 02:04 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: drakino]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
This is the problem with the current television system. With the world being so connected we hear about shows in other countries so we want to see them. The makers of the shows are still operating in pre-internet mode like we don't know about the shows so they can just take their time getting them to the rest of the world. Well we know about the content and can get it just not from them. So we are supposed to just sit with the chocolate cake a foot away and not take a bite.

Speaking specifically about the BBC I don't see why they can't let residents of other countries subscribe to their on demand website. Wouldn't bringing more money into the country be a good thing ? If they can get enough money from other countries they could charge residents less maybe.

I am not ambitious enough to bother downloading any television shows or movies I would rather just watch what Tivo recorded but I can see where some people that do are coming from.

Matt

#323763 - 26/06/2009 02:32 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: msaeger
Speaking specifically about the BBC I don't see why they can't let residents of other countries subscribe to their on demand website. Wouldn't bringing more money into the country be a good thing ? If they can get enough money from other countries they could charge residents less maybe.

Licensing issues basically. The BBC sell the programs abroad and the other broadcasters wouldn't be too thrilled if people could just go to BBC iPlayer and bypass them.

#323764 - 26/06/2009 02:35 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: msaeger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Well, it's currently a free service for Britons. (I guess they assume you all pay your TV license.) They probably don't have a good way to charge people.

Relatedly, can non-Americans watch videos on American network web sites, like, for example, ABC's Better Off Ted or CBS's Harper's Island or NBC's 30 Rock or Fox's Fringe, or even stuff on Hulu, like, let's say, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

#323766 - 26/06/2009 04:16 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: Cris
And if I were running an SP, and I had users busting 250Gb a month I'd kick them off too. I know how much it would be hurting my bottom line to have too many users like that on my network.

I agree, I can't defend pirates, regardless of my personal internet habits.

But as I was saying, I think it's only a matter of time until it's a trivial matter to knock out 250GB of data a month. Especially if, like in Tony's situation, there's more than one heavy users in the house.

Originally Posted By: msaeger
I would guess the caps are more to keep people from dumping cable tv and streaming from hulu or netflix.

Oh heck yeah. The ISPs are scared to death. They don't want to become utilities. They make more money on selling you added features (like TV programming packages) than they would if they were solely proprietors of bits.

#323767 - 26/06/2009 04:18 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

With respect to being an American downloading Top Gear via BitTorrent (which I am), I offer the following rationale.

Your rationale is more or less the same as mine, with a few subtle differences. And also one other thing: Our desire is to simply watch the show rather than to redistribute it.

I know that neither one of us is in the right. It's just the way we try to rationalize it.

#323768 - 26/06/2009 04:47 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: wfaulk]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk

Relatedly, can non-Americans watch videos on American network web sites, like, for example, ABC's Better Off Ted or CBS's Harper's Island or NBC's 30 Rock or Fox's Fringe, or even stuff on Hulu, like, let's say, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

No we can't.

#323769 - 26/06/2009 04:57 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: tman
I do pay for my cable TV service which includes BBC America, which does air Top Gear. Right now, they're airing a mix of seasons 10-12. There is no announcement as to the availability of season 13. As such, I *am* paying for a legal BBC service that does include the show in question. It's just not the current season.

If you bought 2 copies of season 12 off iTunes, would you be justified in downloading season 13 from elsewhere?

No, but that is not a valid comparision. A valid comparison would be if he intended to pay for season 13 when it arrived on iTunes, downloaded it elsewhere and then did subsequently pay for it on iTunes.

That is the moral equivalent of subscribing to BBCA while season 12 is being broadcast, downloading season 13 and then continuing to subscribe through when season 13 is finally shown. Excluding the issue of advert revenue at least, but then sane people skip the ads on broadcast TV anyway...

I download loads of shows that I also "pay" for through my Sky subscription and licence fee. I realise that legally I don't have a leg to stand on, but I am perfectly happy with my moral position on it. I'm not doing Sky or the BBC out of any money and I'm not doing anyone out of any DVD sales (I watch the shows and then delete them, if I want to keep any long term then I go and buy the DVD when it is out).

The part where my moral story breaks down a bit is that I wouldn't dream of downloading a film, even though I guess I could use the same justification as with the TV shows (in that just about every film gets shown on TV at some point). blush

#323770 - 26/06/2009 04:58 Re: What is Comcast *really* doing to their customers? [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Our desire is to simply watch the show rather than to redistribute it.

I know that neither one of us is in the right. It's just the way we try to rationalize it.

Interesting, I wonder if I were in court charged with downloading the latest U2 album if this rational would stand up?

I don't pretend to know the licensing agreements that BBCA have with the BBC, but if they are not showing the latest season I would guess it isn't in their agreement yet. Would it be ok for me to download a US movie that isn't released here in the UK as long as I promised I wouldn't let anyone else have a copy? (which I imagine is almost impossible to do on Torrent?)

I am playing devils advocate a little here I know but piracy is a crime, and going back to your original point about SP's, they will eventually have their hand forced into doing something about it which will effect the minority of legitimate users.

I guess it ticks me off a little but more than usual is that the BBC in general is a great source of national pride here in the UK. We all own it, we don't have a choice in that, and I suppose the way I think about it is that you steal from them you are really stealing from me. However you could steal as much ITV content as you want smile

The latest series of Top Gear doesn't seem to be in HD, I couldn't watch on BBC HD on Sunday. It is widescreen of course but still no HD frown Strange really as more and more BBC content was being shot in HD. I was also hoping there may have been a small portion of the F1 broadcast in HD, like the build up or a special, but nothing. I would assume the budget has been pulled back in.

Cheers

Cris.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >