Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32642 - 13/06/2001 08:53 empeg fell down, went boom
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Awww crap!!! I was getting out of the car this morning with the empeg snugly in it's case and, having too much stuff in my hands, I dropped the empeg. First it only looked like the handle broke, but when I came into work and hooked it up, the light would flash twice then go out. I can hear the disks spin up momentarily then nothing, no display, no output.
What do I need to do to get my beloved empeg rocking again? Do I still contact empeg for service or is Sonicblue doing that? I am so sad today...

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N 80000329

#32643 - 13/06/2001 09:24 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: davec]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Send an email to [email protected]

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#32644 - 13/06/2001 09:35 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: Roger]
davec
old hand

Thanks Roger, I have emailed them and I hope I can get it operating again real soon.

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N 80000329

#32645 - 13/06/2001 12:24 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: davec]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Aw, crap...

That's really bad luck... Mine (MkI) took a dive from shoulder height
onto concrete (also in the original bag), some months ago.
As you, I had to much stuff in my hands and no fingers through the
handle of the bag. But my unit fared better, it landed on the
top/front/left corner and broke off a piece of the panel. The great guys
at empeg came to the rescue with one of each colour (thanks again!).
Nothing else was damaged - thank god for small miracles.
Oh, forgot, the zipper of the bag was destroyed too, the panel sort of
cut through it in the impact. My empeg now travels armored, or at
least as near as you get, inside a Pelican case. Air and water tight,
filled with cell foam and reputedly sturdy enough to drive over with
your car (that I haven't tried...)

The case is visible in the top right corner in this picture of Lars'
cars trunk, from the 2nd Amersfoort meet.

/Michael

#32646 - 13/06/2001 14:29 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The great guys at empeg came to the rescue with one of each colour (thanks again!).

My Mark1 took a similar dive, but I just glued the faceplate corner. Never got a replacement...

Some months later, the drive in the Mk1 died, and I'm not sure if it was due to the fall, or due to the fact that I'd been frequently running it in my A/V cabinet at home, on top of a hot amp/tuner. Otherwise, the Mk1 continues to function fine.

#32647 - 13/06/2001 16:42 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: tfabris]
davec
old hand

David Moss in support got me all the paperwork I need to ship it back to Cambridge for repair. I scrounged an ethernet card here at work and tried to connect my laptop to the empeg but no luck. I also tried USB, same story there. Intial thinking was it could be the display, but the fact I cannot access the music DB is not good. I tried to get a coworker to take it with him on the way to the UK this week, but he won't be in the ARM office in Cambridge this time... Maybe I'll get a disk upgrade and hopefully they can recover the data if the disk is bad. What are the chances of that. though?

What really sucks is I have to drive to Houston this weekend, with nothing but the sound of the Mopar V8 sucking down the gas, not that the sound is a bad thing, but it's kinda repetitive...

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N 80000329

#32648 - 14/06/2001 04:12 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: davec]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
My personal suspicion is broken display glass plus a cable having popped off with the shock of impact. I doubt the HDD is ill, but we'll see when it comes back.

Hugo

#32649 - 14/06/2001 05:49 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: altman]
davec
old hand

When I got home, I was able to access the HDD, that was over ethernet through a hub. I tried on the laptop with both a regular CAT5 cable and a crossovercable and USB as well. Strange, but the only way I've acessed the empeg with the laptop was through my wireles ethernet before, so something must not have been right.

I can also only get it to output audio when in the vehicle, so I suspect something may have jarred loose somewhere. It's difficult to change selections with no display and the fact that the down button sticks after the fall. I'm stuck on the Scorpions _Savage Amusement_ for the time being. So it doesn't seem as bad as it before, the HDD is OK, and I'll be shipping it out soon for repair. I have full faith in you guys that my empeg will be back in working order in no time!!!

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Blue MK2
S/N 80000329

#32650 - 14/06/2001 09:19 Re: empeg fell down, went boom [Re: davec]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
David Moss in support got me all the paperwork I need to ship it back to Cambridge for repair

A big Thank You to David in Support BTW. He also helped me in getting my MKII shipped back so they could fix the dirves and verify I am/am not crazy. Now I have to find a way to rewire my speakers back to the old way so I can temporarily put my old stereo back. Next time I say I will have someone else install something for me, smack me and remind me about the Empeg. OK? Thanks!

Greg