Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#326787 - 18/10/2009 19:22 Amazon Prime
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I was wondering if anyone here had Amazon Prime, and could tell me what they thought of the service.

I've been looking at it for a while now, and on the surface it seems like a great idea, but after doing a little digging I have one major concern: selection.

Sure, free two-day shipping and $4 one-day shipping sounds great, but then I tried checking out which items were available, and it's not that much as far as I can see. According to Amazon:

Quote:
The program is limited to products sold by Amazon.com and by third-party merchants participating in the Fulfillment by Amazon program.

I've yet to see items from 3rd party merchants that are eligible, and so much of Amazon has converted to the marketplace that it almost seems difficult to find a product actually sold by Amazon.

Now, I'm still considering trying it out. I figured that around mid-November I'll start the one month trial, so any Christmas shopping we do has a chance of including Prime items. I also plan, if we go ahead with the membership, to bring my mother and mother-in-law in on it, splitting the cost. I'm sure that, even with the limited selection of eligible items, I could make up $26 a year. Not so sure about $79.

So is there anyone here who has it?

I'm also curious if there's anyone here who partakes in the Amazon subscription service.

#326790 - 18/10/2009 20:34 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Dignan]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I've used it during the one month trial but only to get Dark Knight on Blu-ray via 2-day. When I canceled they warned I may be ineligible for future promotions. Just keep that in mind if that matters.

Stu

#326791 - 18/10/2009 20:36 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have Amazon Prime. I love it. No fidgeting about deciding whether the shipping is worth it or not. Lately, they've added an "Eligible for Prime" filter.

There are a few merchants whose shipments are fulfilled by Amazon, though they are not very many.

#326794 - 18/10/2009 23:40 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I've had Amazon Prime since they introduced it. I tend to order more stuff from Amazon now and less stuff from random other websites. The items do need to be sold by Amazon but most of the stuff I want is. I also love that I can order something from a friends wishlist and 2 day ship it to them for free.

#326795 - 19/10/2009 00:36 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Attack]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Great to hear, thanks for the responses.

If you wouldn't mind, what general kinds of stuff do you guys buy from Amazon that makes the Prime membership worthwhile? (I realize I sound like an Amazon survey with a question like that)

What I mean is, I've been having difficulty finding products that are even eligible, even with that search filter.

I think that part of the problem is that sadly, I am brand loyal. I've been looking around Amazon for some of the things I usually use, and they either aren't there or they're there for far too much money (a 24-pack of Bounty Select-a-size for $55? Seriously?).

I'm definitely going to test it out though. It's worth a shot smile

#326798 - 19/10/2009 01:30 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
DVD's, Books, Groceries, Clothing, Home & Garden, Video Games, Computer related items. I have paid for multiple items in each department except the Kindle. I used to be brand loyal but then I found that brands not sold in supermarkets can be much better and cost way less.

#326801 - 19/10/2009 05:38 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Attack]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Another positive vote for the Prime service here. Mostly ordering books, with a CD or two thrown in now and then. Sometimes computer supplies.

#326806 - 19/10/2009 10:10 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: petteri]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, see my problem is that I don't buy CDs anymore, and I've vowed to not fall into the DVD collecting trap that held me for 7-8 years. My BluRay collection is about eight movies and I suspect it might get up to 20 before I stop, far short of the 200 or so DVDs I have.

For computer supplies, I have a hard time using anyone other than Newegg. Amazon can't beat the shopping experience of Newegg, let alone the selection.

But still, I'll give it a shot. Like I said, I'd have to make up for $26 in shipping on eligible items. I think I can make that.

By the way, have you Prime members seen that Amazon now offers same-day delivery on Prime items to certain cities for $6? That's crazy! And for once my city is one of them (hopefully they count the suburbs of D.C.).

#326807 - 19/10/2009 10:34 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: Dignan

By the way, have you Prime members seen that Amazon now offers same-day delivery on Prime items to certain cities for $6? That's crazy! And for once my city is one of them (hopefully they count the suburbs of D.C.).

Back when Amazon started in the UK I used to often get same day deliveries for the price of their standard postage. Their warehouse at the time was nearby and if the warehouse was having a quiet day, instead of putting the local orders in the post they'd stick them in a van and deliver them by hand wink

On occasions you'd place and order in the morning and it would arrive by lunch time shocked

#326810 - 19/10/2009 12:07 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In my case, random stuff, but specifically not groceries.

This year, in addition to books, CDs, and movies, I've purchased:
  • some internal hard drives for my new home server
  • a BluRay/HDDVD drive, also for my new home server
  • some windshield wipers
  • a "fitness ball"
  • a pair of work gloves
  • a PS3
  • a vacuum cleaner air filter
  • a Radio Flyer wagon (No, I don't have kids. Shut up.)
  • a Wacom tablet
  • a USB/Firewire hub
  • a 12-outlet power strip
  • a set of screwdriver bits for my Leatherman
  • a Bluetooth speakerphone
  • multimeter leads
  • a memory upgrade for my MacBook Pro
  • blank journals
  • automobile bumper dye
  • a pillow
  • a windshield cleaner
  • plus whatever my wife ordered

#326815 - 19/10/2009 14:58 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: wfaulk]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I'm addicted to amazon prime. The difference between "It will be here Wednesday" and "It'll be here sometime soon" doesn't seem like much, but it's saved me plenty of trips to the store. The overnight shipping for a reasonable upcharge really comes in handy too. Christmas shopping without amazon prime would be a real challenge. I often remember some book that would be perfect for someone a day or two in advance, not a week or two in advance when it's not at the top of my mental stack.

It's probably a topic for a different post, but Newegg's service has gone downhill in the last few years, if amazon has it for a similar price you're much better off getting it from amazon.

They're also not too strict on what a "household" is, if you get what I mean. Maybe you know someone else who would like a membership?

Matthew

#326846 - 20/10/2009 11:20 Re: Amazon Prime [Re: matthew_k]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I've used Amazon Prime since it was introduced and love it. I buy a lot of random stuff off Amazom, including books, some groceries (depending on the price compared to local), movies, pre-order games, etc. For hardware, I'll use Newegg to find what I want, then compare the prices (including shipping/handling) with that on Amazon.