Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32733 - 16/06/2001 03:19 Sudden Problem - Short Pause
teemcbee
addict

This Friday I had a 2 hours ride with my car.
The empeg player in my car is always running.
During the ride there was suddenly a problem with the empeg player. While playing a song (didn't matter which song) it had some short pauses, then continued playback then again some pause....
I shutdown the player then and pulled it out of the sled, then put it back again and switched it on - the same problem.
The keys to get the next song, stop, menu etc. didn't respond during the pause-time. I stopped the playback and listened to the empeg and it made some clicking sound. I don't know where this came from. Then I pulled the empeg out of the sled again (without shutting it down) and after a while (maybe 3 minutes) I put it back again.
Then it had the same problem again but it disappeared as suddenly as it came. After this ride I had another 2 hour ride and other shorter rides and the problem didn't come up again.
I've installed 1.02 customer on my MkII. The problem appeared on songs which are OK and were played without any problems before and after this error.
Anyone any idea what this could have been?

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#32734 - 16/06/2001 05:49 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: teemcbee]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
That certainly sounds bizarre. I get the same problem with some tracks (mostly off Ghost in the Machine by The Police which is spooky). A given track will just pause and the empeg will freeze up. To resolve it I have to yank it out and then push back in, trying to hit the next button just as the track tries to continue to play. I've found that if I leave it then it will seem to resolve itself by moving onto the next track after a couple of minutes (which sounds like something built into the software to me). I think this is down to the way that it's encoded (I didn't do it I hasten to add - although I probably shouldn't admit that ). If yours is happening randomly and on tracks that used to be fine then it does suggest you have more of a problem. Have you mailed empeg themselves about this?

Steve - 18GB Mk II Amber

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#32735 - 16/06/2001 06:59 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: srhodes]
Sevenger
journeyman

Loc: Hamburg/Germany
I also had this problem some time ago but just once and not again since that time.
I still don't know if it was the track or kind of another error?!

Fabian
S/N 080000540 12GB blue

#32736 - 16/06/2001 07:13 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: Sevenger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

If I remember correctly, this sounds very similar to a memory error that was posted on the board a while ago. Especially if you see it on a random track (not the same track or the same time in the track) and if the player has been running for a while (heat). You may want to do a search on the board for memory problems, and also run a self test on the player (hold control-T when applying power to the player), both when it first starts (cold) and after it has been running for a while.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Clear)

#32737 - 16/06/2001 12:24 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: srhodes]
teemcbee
addict

I haven't mailed empeg about this cause I can't reproduce it currently.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with any special song. While I had this problem it was on EVERY song. And when the problem was gone somehow I tried the same songs and the error didn't occur any more... Really strange..
I think I'll try the 1.03 rc1 maybe it has something to do with the 1.02... not too sure about that..
I hope this has nothing to do with the hardware - my warranty will void in about a month...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#32738 - 16/06/2001 12:30 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: pgrzelak]
teemcbee
addict

That's what I though of, too... But today I drove around for some hours with the empeg always on and mostly skipping the tracks - so the temperature with an always spun up hdd would be pretty high. And it ran perfectly. The temperature outside was pretty warm, too - I think it was pretty similar to the temperature-environment I had last friday...

Which image has to be on the player to make a self-test?
Has it to be connected via serial with a Terminal Emulation?

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#32739 - 16/06/2001 13:14 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Which image has to be on the player to make a self-test?

None. It's in the boot PROM. The unit simply has to be a Mark 2.

Has it to be connected via serial with a Terminal Emulation?

Yes. Details in the FAQ.

#32740 - 16/06/2001 13:17 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I hope this has nothing to do with the hardware - my warranty will void in about a month...

Assuming that you haven't changed the software (for instance, adding a nonstandard init which will eat memory if you don't increase the reservecache), then it does sound like a hardware problem. Make sure to contact Empeg soon, before your warranty expires.

#32741 - 17/06/2001 02:36 Re: Sudden Problem - Short Pause [Re: teemcbee]
alex25

Loc: Switzerland
Hi

Maybe you should take a look at this
It seems that you have problems with your hd. I bet you have a 20GB empeg player, didn't you?

Alex