Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32991 - 20/06/2001 09:32 package management
bobo

anybody allready thought about a package-management system ?
(ok, in a debian chroot-environment apt allready works well ;-)
e.g. lightwight systems like ipkg (package management for the compaq ipaq --> handhelds.org)

now there are serveral 3.party projects but there is no easy way for "normal users" to install them.

the big question: what package-managment system ist the best one for the empeg?

then we need 2 GUIs for the management:
1)
on the empeg - selecting / deselecting/ installing packages while the empeg is connected to the internet

2)
package managemnt on the home PC (installing via serial (z-modem / pp-link), usb, ethernet, WEB --> Displayserver :-)

so a standard-empeg distribution should be doable :-)

any suggestions ?

bobo

#32992 - 20/06/2001 11:08 Re: package management [Re: bobo]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Well, I already have a win32 delphi app, which communicates with the empeg over serial. I haven't got any zmodem support in it, so I was thinking of uploading a tar file, with an mp3 suffix attached, through emplode; the file is unpacked and some install file from the archive is executed.
With a 'clean' empeg, you've only got a handfull of commands, and because tar is one of them, I thought a tar file would be the most obvious choice.
I have attached a screenshot. If someone wants to fool around with the code I can put it up for download...

Frank van Gestel

Attachments
32182-Image5.gif (89 downloads)

#32993 - 20/06/2001 11:18 Re: package management [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
BTW, I also did some USB stuff with Jazzwire a few months ago, so that could also be an option...

Frank van Gestel

#32994 - 20/06/2001 11:50 Re: package management [Re: bobo]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Your picture doesn't show up, at least not at my location. Properties of it (right click) show http://empeg.boege.net/ as source, but no file name...

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 Trillian # 080000263 6Gb blue/red