Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#331463 - 26/03/2010 17:07 Google sharing search revenue with cell carriers and handset makers
drakino
carpal tunnel

(Disclaimer, this post is not an attack on the Nexus One, or the owners of the devices. Just figured I'd start with that to play it safe around the touchy new owners).

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-andro...v-share-deals-/

While this has been pretty standard on the browser side, with Mozilla and Apple receiving revenue based on when users use the search box, I find it interesting this also extends to cellphone service providers and handset manufacturers now. A few blogs have pointed out that this may help relax the carriers a bit over losing revenue on applications (sometimes 50% or more of the sale price when people bought apps or ringtones on older feature phones). This may also force Microsoft to do similar with the upcoming Windows 7 Phone ear series things to stay competitive. Microsoft in the past has usually been the one receiving money for every phone due to the OS license.

#331470 - 26/03/2010 21:30 Re: Google sharing search revenue with cell carriers and handset makers [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
A fine example of Google pissing in the pool. This is not good for the industry and merely serves to stifle innovation and choice.

#331473 - 26/03/2010 22:23 Re: Google sharing search revenue with cell carriers and handset makers [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Huh?

#331478 - 27/03/2010 00:05 Re: Google sharing search revenue with cell carriers and handset makers [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Payola. Pushing handsets, many of which seem destined to become abandonware. Continuing to promote the practice of carrier-only handsets. The financial incentive will be enough for some carriers to ignore other handsets or features.

It's a game Apple can play as well, but I really hope they don't. Though I won't hold my breath for any dramatic changes in the carrier status-quo.