Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#339854 - 28/11/2010 03:50 Any mini-itx fans ?
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I think the ST20G5 is dead for good or I have kept it running long enough anyway so I have started looking for something to replace it with.

I see the mini-itx form factor has come a long way since the via only days it looks like you can even get boards that will run an i7.

So I am trying to decide which processor to go with. I know I don't want something low performance like a via or an atom. So I am trying to decide between a core 2 duo with some number of cores, a single or multi core i3/i5 or something from AMD maybe.

The biggest considerations are cool, quite, and performance. Keep in mind when I say performance I have still been happy with the performance of the athlon 64. Faster would be better of course but I am sure of the processors I am considering are faster than what I have.

Edited by msaeger (28/11/2010 04:13)

Matt

#339857 - 28/11/2010 05:20 Re: Any mini-itx fans ? [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I was browsing Mini-ITX NEWEGG in the last hour or so. I saw prices ranging from from $40 to $240. Most under $100. Even the best rated ones seem to draw a few cons mostly to do with boards having problems. I'm assuming that is because people tend not to post about satisfactory outcomes. Most have some form of on-board graphics though the high end units intended for overclockers seem to omit that.

Mini-ITX is the form factor in all those HP Slimline desktop systems. Though HP has used different power connectors than the majority of the boards available.