Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34367 - 11/07/2001 12:41 Accessory: Connector
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

One thing that has been discussed previously would be an adapter that matches the Empeg / RioCar side of the docking connector. It could be connected to provide a set of inputs to your amp (connecting two RCA connectors or a miniplug into your output mains), or to bridge / directly connect the aux in to the output mains in the event that your Empeg is not in the sleeve.

Seeing units being serviced and owners lamenting the long quiet commute reminded me of this.

Probably expensive and not too practical for resale, but still an interesting thought. Maybe some folks out there who know which end of a soldering iron to hold the first time around...

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Smoke)

#34368 - 11/07/2001 12:52 Re: Accessory: Connector [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Dunno, seems it would be cheaper just to "Y" off the inputs behind the dash...

#34369 - 12/07/2001 12:57 Re: Accessory: Connector [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
True. Next time I am in there, I will have to put something in place.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Smoke)

#34370 - 13/07/2001 02:43 Re: Accessory: Connector [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Not neccesarily. I don't know what affect a Y cable would have on the resistance levels (it would probably increase your noise floor) in this situation but having a Y cable, no matter what configuration would be dodgy.

................/--Aux in empeg
CD out --<
...............\--Amp in

This arrangement would mean that the amps could get CD out from _two_ sources if the empeg is set to aux.

CD out------\
..................>Amp in
Empeg out-/

This arrangement would mean that the CD AND the empeg couold play at the same time.

I've been thinking about a set of relays that swap the inputs to the amps if the empeg is turned on and when it isn't, the amp input is set to the CD/radio. This would be activatied by the amp remote line from the empeg.

Now if only i had the time...

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#34371 - 13/07/2001 09:19 Re: Accessory: Connector [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The "relay set" you refer to can be purchased at Crutchfield. It's made by Sony, I think it's called the XA-39 or something like that.

But that's not what I was talking about. The original post asked about something that would only be used when the empeg was not in the car. No relays would be needed in that case.

#34372 - 14/07/2001 05:55 Re: Accessory: Connector [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Damn i must be working late at the moment. its all a blur

I _DO_ remember a post about the sony unit, would cost a bit, no?

If the empeg is not in the car then relays would be needed to join the aux device to the amp, a normally closed position. When you plug in the empeg, the amp remote line goes active, powers the relays and connects the amps to the empeg.

easy when you know how I'm sure.

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.